Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,052 of 5,974

I'm shooting for the end of the year, maybe a bit sooner if I can find more writing time. I'm way backed up though. That's why I come here frequently to post more impressions as I have new things to say - the wait for the final review could be a while. But feel free to ask me anything that comes up.

The end of the year is near :) Apart from Head-fi this little v281 is seriously lacking reviews :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,054 of 5,974

Once January 1 and the big price jump hits reviews will be kind of moot. 

I don't know if they will be moot but for sure is that at those prices for the base level, I'd pass.  About the only scenario where it still makes sense to get a 281/220 at that price is if you absolutely need a one box solution that plays with all headgear, from iem's to demanding planars.  You could easily get/build a top flight low power/quiet speaker amp to drive planars or cans like the HD-800 with at about half the price, and that's without adding stuff  (which I personally don't require)to the Vio like remote controls etc.  

All of the preceding to be read with 'IMO' in front of each sentence, obviously.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,056 of 5,974
because it doesn't have a fancy name and description! (and has cheap feet LOL)

also, why is the thread title in german? doesn't make any sense since 99.99% of us here can't read that !?! not that i really care about it or anything, just wondering
confused.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,057 of 5,974

also, why is the thread title in german? doesn't make any sense since 99.99% of us here can't read that !?! not that i really care about it or anything, just wondering
confused.gif

My guess is that the thread title is a ripoff of the Audi car slogan 'Vorsprung durch Technik' (Advancement via technology, loosely translated).  The title is not a grammatically 100% correct full sentence in German but never mind that.  As to why it's not in summit-fi, I suppose that's because no one posted a thread about it there :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,058 of 5,974

confused.gif

My guess is that the thread title is a ripoff of the Audi car slogan 'Vorsprung durch Technik' (Advancement via technology, loosely translated).  The title is not a grammatically 100% correct full sentence in German but never mind that.  As to why it's not in summit-fi, I suppose that's because no one posted a thread about it there :)

you see, it was in summit-fi, then it got 'demoted' (the thread was moved here from summit-fi)

i don't know cos specs wise it should definitely be in summit-fi, yet it isn't anything exotic or really fancy, so you know how it goes...  who cares anyway

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,059 of 5,974

you see, it was in summit-fi, then it got 'demoted' (the thread was moved here from summit-fi)

i don't know cos specs wise it should definitely be in summit-fi, yet it isn't anything exotic or really fancy, so you know how it goes...  who cares anyway

Really!?  Didn't know that the 'powers that be' over here engaged in that type of shenanigan.  There goes another illusion.    But I agree that specs wise it should be over there, perhaps the objective admission criterion is the sponsoring budget spent.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,060 of 5,974
well sponsoring could do it, but to tell the truth it's still not an exotic device, in audiophile terms, it's not pure class A, no fancy opamps or discrete opamps, no oversized psu, no fancy design/enclosure, name or description of the architecture, i read it is based (v200) on the nakamichi 420/620 b class power amps

if they made it look like a gsx, big case with separate psu, class a etc., then i'm sure it would be there, but what's the point? i don't really want that XD

btw who knows, maybe when reviews start sprouting and if it ranks high maybe it will be put back

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,061 of 5,974
Summit Fi subforum is ruled by this sentence:
This forum is for discussion of top-of-the-line (TOTL), exclusive headphones (eg: electrostats) and high-end audio and headphone rigs.

Maybe V281 is not totl or high-end audio ​
rolleyes.gif

If I remember correctly, similar discussion ocurred with the T1 also. In the end, the powers that be around here decide where certain products belong.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,062 of 5,974
  Summit Fi subforum is ruled by this sentence:
This forum is for discussion of top-of-the-line (TOTL), exclusive headphones (eg: electrostats) and high-end audio and headphone rigs.

Maybe V281 is not totl or high-end audio ​
rolleyes.gif

If I remember correctly, similar discussion ocurred with the T1 also. In the end, the powers that be around here decide where certain products belong.

This gets me puzzled too.
As far as I know V281 is top of the line Volievtric product.
And if a balanced amp with a relay based volume attenuator is not high end gear, then I don't know what is.

Oh wait - I know: it doesn't have any tubes
rolleyes.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,064 of 5,974
In all these years can count with one-hand the threads with such consistent positive feedback throughout

Where can one demo this in the UK (please do not say can buy and return under the distance selling regs, not quite the same thing)

I don't think there are any UK stockists. I certainly couldn't find any when I was shopping for the V281. Item Audio used to sell Violectric gear but they don't appear to now.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,065 of 5,974
Well I decided to take the plunge. I was hoping to wait until later in 2015 but with the pending $400 USD price increase I decided to jump on it now. I ordered the black faceplate with black feet and the remote option. It should be here next week. I'm not sure if I should blame or thank Project86 for this purchase. :)

I purchased his V200 to get a feel for the Violetric sound and to see how I would like it. Obviously I like it so much I'm getting the 281. I hope it's worth its weight in gold. I plan on keeping the V200 for use at the office.

I've never heard a balanced set up and ordered a balanced cable from Oppo for my PM-2s. I'll plan on getting a balance cable for my HD800's as well down the road. Interestingly enough, I purchased the V200 primarily for the HD800's, but when I plugged in the PM-2's and heard the difference over my other amps my jaw really dropped. I'm not sure why some people don't think these headphones scale very much. I know they are easy to drive but with each step up on my amps they improve very noticeably. I'll look forward to hearing the impact with both these headphones coupled with the 281, especially using a balanced cable. I have some others including HE-500s but none get as much head time as my two primary pair. I will eventually try out Audeze one day, but I am likely waiting to see what they come up with next. Thanks to everyone who has provided their feedback on this amp. I am expecting it to be my endgame amp for at least the next several years if not longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back