Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #721 of 5,976
The balanced output of Vega is high compare to a single ended DAC, but it is only 4 V compare to something like 2 V which is something like 3 dB.

I do have the a USB build-in DAC fitted to my unit, but my desktop computer generally refuse to play nice with it, so I mainly use an external DAC. The internal DAC does have a weaker output, and I will probably need to go up roughly another 1-2 hours (i.e. if I listen at 9 with external DAC, I would go to 11 with the internal version).

Just wondering, did you set the Windows and player volume to 100%.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #722 of 5,976
Definately would be;

I am comparing the VEGA to the NAD M51 both on single ended outputs side by side (on the ALO Studio Six) - the VEGA needs to be at around 80/100 volume to be similar to the NAD standard - it is quite a higher on 100; for HD800's it is around 11 o clock on the NAD and then around 8-9 on the Vega (don't need much volume at all)

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #723 of 5,976
The balanced output of Vega is high compare to a single ended DAC, but it is only 4 V compare to something like 2 V which is something like 3 dB.

I do have the a USB build-in DAC fitted to my unit, but my desktop computer generally refuse to play nice with it, so I mainly use an external DAC. The internal DAC does have a weaker output, and I will probably need to go up roughly another 1-2 hours (i.e. if I listen at 9 with external DAC, I would go to 11 with the internal version).

Just wondering, did you set the Windows and player volume to 100%.

I've not had any problems with the DAC module which is a nice surprise after I learned that it uses the same Tenor chip as the Burson Conductor I owned in the past - that could be a real pain in the arse and the only remedy before they changed it themselves was a USB to SPDIF converter. I use WASAPI rather than ASIO.

Yes, I set JRiver and Windows volume to 100%.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #724 of 5,976
  Definately would be;

I am comparing the VEGA to the NAD M51 both on single ended outputs side by side (on the ALO Studio Six) - the VEGA needs to be at around 80/100 volume to be similar to the NAD standard - it is quite a higher on 100; for HD800's it is around 11 o clock on the NAD and then around 8-9 on the Vega (don't need much volume at all)

This is because the SE and balanced output of the Vega are both at 4 Vrms. I believe the SE output of the M51 is the standard 2 Vrms. That means you are effectively comparing a SE output of the M51 to that you would see normally expect in a balanced output.
Which explain why you see the difference. But if you compare the balanced output of a M51 to that of a Vega, the output levels are about the same.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #725 of 5,976
I've not had any problems with the DAC module which is a nice surprise after I learned that it uses the same Tenor chip as the Burson Conductor I owned in the past - that could be a real pain in the arse and the only remedy before they changed it themselves was a USB to SPDIF converter. I use WASAPI rather than ASIO.

Yes, I set JRiver and Windows volume to 100%.

Interesting, your listen level is really quite loud then. Having said that, I think my general listen level is quite low in the first place.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #726 of 5,976

This is because the SE and balanced output of the Vega are both at 4 Vrms. I believe the SE output of the M51 is the standard 2 Vrms. That means you are effectively comparing a SE output of the M51 to that you would see normally expect in a balanced output.
Which explain why you see the difference. But if you compare the balanced output of a M51 to that of a Vega, the output levels are about the same.

I am aware, just showing a point of difference on a standard single ended output and why people would notice the volume difference compared to the NAD (or any other standard single ended DAC)

Some may not be aware of the output differences, therefore the different levels of volume they are comparing - only fair to compare when the output voltage is the same. :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #727 of 5,976
Are there any comparison with other TOTL SS balanced amps such as the Headamp GS-X MK2 and Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold?

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #728 of 5,976
  Wow, you guys are listening at quite high volume.

I am using a HE560 with balanced output. With my DAC using a balanced output set at 100% volume, Foobar set at 100% volume, I am using a pre-gain of -12 and I rarely go above 9 - 10 o'clock.

With the HE560 in the unbalanced output, I rarely get above 10 - 11 o'clock.

With HD800 balanced, I usually listen at 8 - 9:30. With low impedance unbalanced headphones like TH900 and W3000 I rarely go above 8.

Volume knob levels depend directly on how many VRMs does you DAC output.

In my case, HE-560 were between 10 and 12:30 depending on the CD.

And ah, HE-560 sounds impressive with this amp.

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #729 of 5,976
And ah, HE-560 sounds impressive with this amp.

The HE560 is actually the only headphone I prefer in SE on the V281, the HE-400i and all the other Hifiman's and Audeze headphones sound better in balanced
Personal preference I guess :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #731 of 5,976
Some people can't even find a difference between SE and Balanced... I sometimes wonder if it's the "quality" of the output that is the most determinant factor... as in "which input is better Optical or Coaxial"...

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #732 of 5,976
  Some people can't even find a difference between SE and Balanced... I sometimes wonder if it's the "quality" of the output that is the most determinant factor... as in "which input is better Optical or Coaxial"...

I have noticed differences in the  balanced section. Keep in mind therefore two V200 balanced in the V281 with an oversized power supply which gives it the power nandextension. if you use it single ended the amp really  becomes similar to the V200. I see a nice difference using this amp balanced. 

I  prefer using my headphone balance with this amplifier all the time. I been listening daily now and really enjoy what the V281 is capable of doing. Greaat amplifier and well worth an audition.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #733 of 5,976
Why is that?

I somehow prefer the "more body" of the SE in stead of the extra detail, sound stage and balanced sound on the HE560.
It's not really amp related, it's just me and my HE560 relationship, I think it has enough of the before mentioned characteristics already

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #735 of 5,976

Trust me, you can tell a difference using se vs.  balanced on the v281/lcd-x combo.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back