Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Sep 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #406 of 5,990

Ok, I see how that all works now. Thank you for the useful info! It sounds like it is almost a similar situation to tubes vs. solid state, where the distortion is tubes is what makes them sound warm, just like the less technical ability of an amp to remove "backcurrent" as you say can add a bit more bass. Both are technically engineering "flaws" but are musically correct. Interesting stuff.

Just to make one thing clear: I'm not saying there's not enough bass for me. The tonal balance is very good, bass goes really deep and is never weak. But I'm not used to the low notes ending so abruptly. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the recordings... 

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #407 of 5,990

Just to make one thing clear: I'm not saying there's not enough bass for me. The tonal balance is very good, bass goes really deep and is never weak. But I'm not used to the low notes ending so abruptly. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the recordings... 

Gotcha, I'm actually about to get a few weeks time with a hd800 starting later today so I can tell you if I feel the same way or not, or more importantly if I notice it as much or not, compared to everything I have heard previously. Plus I play drums in real life, so I am pretty familiar with the low bass thump tone of a drum kit (bass drum, and the different tunings of toms).

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #408 of 5,990

Gotcha, I'm actually about to get a few weeks time with a hd800 starting later today so I can tell you if I feel the same way or not, or more importantly if I notice it as much or not, compared to everything I have heard previously. Plus I play drums in real life, so I am pretty familiar with the low bass thump tone of a drum kit (bass drum, and the different tunings of toms).

Hope you're getting them with balanced cable - it does make a lot of difference on this amp.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #409 of 5,990
Has anyone tried any of the add-on DACs? 

I have ordered the 24/192 Coax one. Today it has been delivered, but as it turned out, my supplier has sent me the USB version. Out of curiosity I have installed it and... well... it's the first DAC ever that does not play nicely with my setup. 

First thing I noticed not quite to my liking is the fact that the DAC is not powered until you select it as a source. So it's not visible as an available device in my player. Fried will probably say it's an ingenious feature, and to some it may well be. I could live with that if that was the only issue. But it isn't.

What happens is if you break the stream rapidly, the DAC loses the plot. For example in Foobar, trying to advance to the next song in the middle of one leads to Foobar freezing. I have never seen this before with any other DAC. Hope it's just a software driver issue as that would be easiest to fix.

Other than that it sounded really good: plenty of detail, spacious sound with no sign of harshness. Really not bad for it's price.

Well, tomorrow it goes back to the supplier and I hope that the Coax version won't have any stability issues.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #410 of 5,990

it's the same TE8802L chip that came by default with the burson conductor

it needs the driver from violectric to be installed properly to work properly

http://violectric-usa.com/downloads

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #411 of 5,990
I've been using the USB version of the 24/192 DAC. It's pretty dang impressive considering the price. No sub-$300 stand alone DAC I've tried can match what I'm hearing. But, I did have some compatibility problems with my Linux based music server. Plays great with regular 16/44.1 tracks but not so nice with Hi-Res stuff. 

I'll have to try it on a Mac and a Windows machine to see how it does. But for sound quality alone, it is great so far. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #413 of 5,990
guess it's up to something else that, a lot of conductor users too complained about all kind of funny behavior, me personally never had a problem, os x, win, amarra, audirvana, foobar wasapi asio ks etc. all worked fine, the previous owner however had a lot of trouble and had to use a third party usb to coax interface, strange stuff this TE8802L 

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #414 of 5,990
  Has anyone tried any of the add-on DACs? 

I have ordered the 24/192 Coax one. Today it has been delivered, but as it turned out, my supplier has sent me the USB version. Out of curiosity I have installed it and... well... it's the first DAC ever that does not play nicely with my setup. 

First thing I noticed not quite to my liking is the fact that the DAC is not powered until you select it as a source. So it's not visible as an available device in my player. Fried will probably say it's an ingenious feature, and to some it may well be. I could live with that if that was the only issue. But it isn't.

What happens is if you break the stream rapidly, the DAC loses the plot. For example in Foobar, trying to advance to the next song in the middle of one leads to Foobar freezing. I have never seen this before with any other DAC. Hope it's just a software driver issue as that would be easiest to fix.

Other than that it sounded really good: plenty of detail, spacious sound with no sign of harshness. Really not bad for it's price.

Well, tomorrow it goes back to the supplier and I hope that the Coax version won't have any stability issues.

If you still have the DAC and you are using Foobar, try this.

Set the output to DS mode, not WASAPI. I found that the DAC is unstable with WASAPI or other output, but it is relatively stable in DS mode.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #415 of 5,990

If you still have the DAC and you are using Foobar, try this.

Set the output to DS mode, not WASAPI. I found that the DAC is unstable with WASAPI or other output, but it is relatively stable in DS mode.

Thanks rx but to me the whole point of having a DAC with ASIO drivers is to bypass the Windows sound. I believe that with some determination and effort I would have managed to get it working properly. But that was just a quick trial of something I wasn't intending to use in the long run.

I already got my DAC with Coax interface. No issues with this one whatsoever: syncing perfectly at all speeds. I'll have to spend some time with it to talk about it's sonic properties, but the initial impressions are quite positive.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #416 of 5,990
asio is not supported unless specified by the manufacturer of the dac, that must provide the asio drivers and it needs additional licensing for commercial use

also asio seems not recommended as a personal audiophile streaming protocol

Quote: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
 Please note that this component is meant for systems where ASIO is the only available output method. It is highly recommended to use the default output modes instead of ASIO. Contrary to popular "audiophile" claims, there are NO benefits from using ASIO as far as music playback quality is concerned, while bugs in ASIO drivers may severely degrade the performance.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #417 of 5,990
If anyone it's having problems with native ASIO there are a solution:

http://www.asio4all.com/

WASAPI (Event Mode) it's at least as good as  native ASIO too. Dont' forget to put high priority process (Real Time) on Windows Task Manager the program you play your music (foobar, Aimp, etc etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back