Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,661 of 5,932
What do you use in your PC? Onboard audio? Dedicated Sound Card? Which type?

You could get a Modi Multibit as an interim DAC (as I do, just buy one used) and save up for a bigger DAC or you can indeed use the DAC module until you go bigger.

thanks for the reply. I might go for the same route(get the modi). I only have a dragon fly red on my pc for now. I do have two daps pawgold and ak380. I don't know the ak380 can be a dedicate dac or not. I'll read the instruction. thanks again

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,662 of 5,932
thanks for the reply. I think I might go for the same route(get the modi). I only have a dragon fly red on my pc for now. I do have two daps pawgold and ak380. I don't is the ak380 can be a dedicate dac or not. I'll read the instruction. thanks again

From the AK380 manual:

"Line Out Turn Line Out on or off. Enabling Line Out and pressing [Line Out] in the volume control window will lock the volume level at maximum and therefore cannot be adjusted. Do not use earphones with the Line Out feature enabled. Doing so may cause permanent hearing loss."

Just need to buy a proper cable.

May 14, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #3,665 of 5,932
Are you ordering a(n interim) DAC with it?

May 17, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #3,667 of 5,932
Anyone have experience using one of these bad boys with a tube and/or NOS dac? I have an RME ADI-2 dac right now which I love, but I’ve been thinking of getting something like a Border Patrol, MHDT, Metrum, or Soekris dac to mix things up a bit. To me it seems like it’d be fun to have 2 dacs to use with the V281 but maybe that’s overkill? Feels like a totl amp with 2 inputs should get taken advantage of. Don’t think I’ve seen too many other users with a similar setup though, no matter what 2 input amp we’re talking about.

May 17, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #3,668 of 5,932
Anyone have experience using one of these bad boys with a tube and/or NOS dac? I have an RME ADI-2 dac right now which I love, but I’ve been thinking of getting something like a Border Patrol, MHDT, Metrum, or Soekris dac to mix things up a bit. To me it seems like it’d be fun to have 2 dacs to use with the V281 but maybe that’s overkill? Feels like a totl amp with 2 inputs should get taken advantage of. Don’t think I’ve seen too many other users with a similar setup though, no matter what 2 input amp we’re talking about.
I've used my V281 with an MHDT Atlantis in the past. I thought the pairing was so so. That doesn't mean that another tube DAC won't sound good with the V281 though.

May 17, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #3,669 of 5,932

I have a lot of experience driving the V281 w/multibit DACs. I bought my used V281 in April of 2017. Since then, 90% of the time my DAC has been the Audio GD NOS 19 (the non-oversampling version of their well-regarded DAC-19 multibit). For ~1 month of that time, I used the V281 with the DAC-19, which I also own.

I've posted many positive statements about the V281, an amazing sounding (and amazingly flexible) amp/preamp. Of course, I have no real way of knowing how much of that is due to the DACs vs the amp itself. Regardless, I can strongly/confidently recommend this combination.

I also hear my NOS DAC through multiple other headphone amps, several of which I also heard at length with delta-sigma DACs (the only kind I used before 2016). It's not as if I did serious listening comparisons between D-S DACs and NOS 19 or DAC-19. Still, I can't imagine going back to D-S DACs. Just about everything multibit, and especially NOS DACs do is positive, in my experience.

May 17, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #3,670 of 5,932
Anyone have experience using one of these bad boys with a tube and/or NOS dac? ...

I’ve got a v280 & several DACs— 9038-based Sonica DAC and R2R Denafrips Pontus are my main DACs. I also have a Denafrips Ares and an Ultra-fi FAC-41.

The Pontus can switch between OS &NOS. Honestly, I can’t hear ANY difference when I switch between the two modes.

May 20, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,672 of 5,932
I lost the remote of my V281. I cannot find the all-for-one model here. I am thinking of getting a logitech harmony remote so i can control my NAD m51 dac too.

Do you guys think the Logitech is that gonna work with the V281? what do you think i need to do to set up the remote with it?

May 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #3,673 of 5,932
anyone tried v281 with chord qutest? is this a good combo?
I used it with a 2Qute and now a Hugo2, both sound amazing on it. I'm sure the qutest would be no different.

May 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3,674 of 5,932
The Pontus can switch between OS &NOS. Honestly, I can’t hear ANY difference when I switch between the two modes.
The audible difference should be there, at least for 44.1 kHz. For 96+ kHz source files the difference should be negligible (if the DAC is nearly perfect).
And of course this is true if you don't do anything with that signal (upsample, run through something like HQPlayer or Roon with custom filters, etc.).
If you have no difference at 44.1 kHz, you probably have non-NOS DAC, which is called "NOS" (or the opposite).
Or maybe it has some analog "postprocessing" like in Schiit Gungnir Multibit, which can hide the difference (and introduce its own sound).

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #3,675 of 5,932
The audible difference should be there, at least for 44.1 kHz. For 96+ kHz source files the difference should be negligible (if the DAC is nearly perfect).
And of course this is true if you don't do anything with that signal (upsample, run through something like HQPlayer or Roon with custom filters, etc.).

Well, some of my source files are 96 kHz flac files. In fact, it may be that all my test files are in that format -- I'll have to check.

Also, I'm feeding my DACs with a Singxer SU-1 -- the Pontus via AES/EBU. Is that what you mean by doing something with the signal?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back