Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Aug 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #346 of 5,977
That's the sort of behavior that made Violectric search for a new distributor in the USA. Violectric-USA will respond to emails immediately.

Yeah, but what am I supposed to do now, considering specially that I have already paid the full price in advance? :frowning2:

Should I open a dispute at paypal or wait a little more?

I like Robert, have done business with him before, but this is something that really pisses me off.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #347 of 5,977
Yep, Arthur rocks.

Yea he's been really awesome to me over the last week or so since I bought the V281 and had some issues with it (as mentioned in previous posts). He's even personally looking at it, fixing it, listening to it, and making sure all is perfect. He even responded to me on weekends, late at night, and very quickly, since he forwards his business email to his phone. He knows his stuff.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #348 of 5,977

Yeah, but what am I supposed to do now, considering specially that I have already paid the full price in advance? :frowning2:

Should I open a dispute at paypal or wait a little more?

I like Robert, have done business with him before, but this is something that really pisses me off.

From what I hear, Robert used to be excellent but something happened, and lately he hasn't been the same. I could be wrong.... but that was the last I heard of the matter. I'd look into a paypal dispute sooner than later, assuming you've already tried emailing multiple times and/or calling (if you even have the number). There's a time limit for that sort of thing, so I'd hate for you to give it too much time and then it's too late. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #349 of 5,977

Yes, I'd say the V281 (and V220) are an evolution of the V200 sound, so the general comparison with CMA800R still holds. However, this time around things are more open sounding with the new Violectric. So advantages that formerly went to the Questyle amp, are less of a difference now.

So far I've been using extremely sensitive IEMs like the UM Merlin, with -6dB pregain setting, and it's very quiet. I suppose I could go to -12dB if I had any trouble but thus far there's no need. It's just like V200 which means extremely good with IEMs - the huge volume knob is great for dialing in a precise setting. I have not tried my balanced IEMs yet. 

Hi project86,

A few more questions (yeah, I know, I can be a pain... my apologies
happy_face1.gif
):

One of the few aspects you had some criticism about, regarding the CMA800R, was the rather high gain - 15.5 dB -, yet the V281 isn't far away with 14 dB. Do you hear the effects of the relatively high gain of the V281 as with the CMA800R? The CMA800R also has a better THD+N performance than the V281, which should give it some advantage despite the higher gain (?). Do you hear a difference between the V281 and Taurus in this respect?

Is it also possible to listen to IEMs without hiss or noise at the default gain setting of the V281 (14 dB)?

Have you had a chance to compare the LCD-Xs from the V281 vs the CMA800R?

Sorry again for all the questions.

Cheers

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #350 of 5,977
So, I finally could get in touch with Robert and he's been very responsive now.

Anyway, I have the option of having the Amp delivered now, with Volume control upgrade Level 1 (RK27), or waiting until end of September, for level 2 upgrade (128 stepped attenuator).

Do you guys think this ugrade is worth the wait? I've already paid for the thing anyway, but I'm not so sure if it's really something make me go "wow".

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #352 of 5,977

Anyway, I have the option of having the Amp delivered now, with Volume control upgrade Level 1 (RK27), or waiting until end of September, for level 2 upgrade (128 stepped attenuator).

Do you guys think this ugrade is worth the wait? I've already paid for the thing anyway, but I'm not so sure if it's really something make me go "wow".

No idea. I will say this thing sounds phenomenal with the level 1 volume. Could it do better still with the upgrade? Speculation at this point. I'd like to hope it does give some improvement but is it worth the cost? Dunno. Personally I'd rather have it now but that's just me.

How much extra for the upgrades? (and what make is the stepped pot?)

Check out the Violectric USA website and you can play with configuration options/see prices. The stepped pot is an in-house creation and is not yet available right this second. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #353 of 5,977

I dunno if it will make you go "wow" but it will make the amp go "click-click-click" every time you change the volume. The clicking should be very soft though, and you may not hear it anyway while wearing headphones.

For me the Alps standard pot is good enough. I would consider the upgrade if I needed remote volume control, but as it is sitting on my desk I actually prefer to use the knob. I have measured the output of botch channels with pink noise and sine sweeps as a source and the balance in my unit stays within +-0.5dB. I had to resort to the lab approach as listening tests didn't show any discernible differences.

Speaking of balance, I do have one minor gripe: the way the balance control works in my unit. When I turn it to the right, the right channel goes louder, but there's no change in the left. When turning left, it attenuates the right channel but the left remains unchanged. In the end the outcome is the balance shift, but it also impacts the overall volume level. I don't believe it is like that by design, but inspecting the interior failed to unravel any issues with the assembly quality. It's not a big concern as I hardly ever need to touch the balance, but at this price point I'm not too keen to accept anything less than perfect. Can someone please confirm that their unit behaves as expected (i.e. when volume in one channel goes down, it goes up in the other) when using the balance control? 

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #354 of 5,977

I dunno if it will make you go "wow" but it will make the amp go "click-click-click" every time you change the volume. The clicking should be very soft though, and you may not hear it anyway while wearing headphones.

For me the Alps standard pot is good enough. I would consider the upgrade if I needed remote volume control, but as it is sitting on my desk I actually prefer to use the knob. I have measured the output of botch channels with pink noise and sine sweeps as a source and the balance in my unit stays within +-0.5dB. I had to resort to the lab approach as listening tests didn't show any discernible differences.

Speaking of balance, I do have one minor gripe: the way the balance control works in my unit. When I turn it to the right, the right channel goes louder, but there's no change in the left. When turning left, it attenuates the right channel but the left remains unchanged. In the end the outcome is the balance shift, but it also impacts the overall volume level. I don't believe it is like that by design, but inspecting the interior failed to unravel any issues with the assembly quality. It's not a big concern as I hardly ever need to touch the balance, but at this price point I'm not too keen to accept anything less than perfect. Can someone please confirm that their unit behaves as expected (i.e. when volume in one channel goes down, it goes up in the other) when using the balance control? 

Yea when I had mine setup (prior to my issues, look at my older posts for the whole story. its currently "in the shop") the balance control worked perfectly fine. going to the right caused the left channel to get a bit quieter and the right a bit louder, and vice versa when going to the left. I will say though that it is a slightly unusual design in the sense that it is only +/- 6dB, compared to full cut out of the right or left channel when all the way left or right. I personally like it a lot, it makes me feel like the impact it has on the balance is minor and very finely precise, rather than huge sweeps. But I dont think yours is working properly, to be honest. if it's fine at center position, and you dont touch it or need to touch it, then I wouldn't worry. Otherwise you'd have to send it back to get it looked at.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #355 of 5,977

Yea when I had mine setup (prior to my issues, look at my older posts for the whole story. its currently "in the shop") the balance control worked perfectly fine. going to the right caused the left channel to get a bit quieter and the right a bit louder, and vice versa when going to the left. I will say though that it is a slightly unusual design in the sense that it is only +/- 6dB, compared to full cut out of the right or left channel when all the way left or right. I personally like it a lot, it makes me feel like the impact it has on the balance is minor and very finely precise, rather than huge sweeps. But I dont think yours is working properly, to be honest. if it's fine at center position, and you dont touch it or need to touch it, then I wouldn't worry. Otherwise you'd have to send it back to get it looked at.

Thanks for confirming my fears. I know the balance adjustment range is rather subtle - that's why I confirmed visually with the tools what I was hearing. It's just hard to picture a fault that would cause this kind of behavior, as the sound is perfectly balanced in the center position of the pot. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #356 of 5,977

Thanks for confirming my fears. I know the balance adjustment range is rather subtle - that's why I confirmed visually with the tools what I was hearing. It's just hard to picture a fault that would cause this kind of behavior, as the sound is perfectly balanced in the center position of the pot. 

It's probably a defect inside the volume pot, meaning alps is at fault mainly. As it seems like it would be pretty tough to notice something wrong with quick testing. Sadly the only real solution for internal defects is to get a whole new pot. So you just gotta prioritize everything being perfect, or keeping the amp as it is. Since sending it back will take a while.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #357 of 5,977
Well, I do have other gear to fall back on, so it won't be the end of the world.
And when I get another attack of upgraditis I'd rather have it in a salable condition.
I'm not in a hurry though as I'm just starting to enjoy the benefits of the burn in.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #358 of 5,977
  Well, I do have other gear to fall back on, so it won't be the end of the world.
And when I get another attack of upgraditis I'd rather have it in a salable condition.
I'm not in a hurry though as I'm just starting to enjoy the benefits of the burn in.

well that works out then :)

Interestingly enough though, I actually didn't even notice any burn in. Before I sent it back temporarily, I was had used it for a good 24+ hours and it sounded just as good from the first second I turned it on, and I mean literally lol. I didn't wait for any warm up time either. I had the Burson soloist SL previously and that one definitely had burn in within that same time frame.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #359 of 5,977

Interestingly enough though, I actually didn't even notice any burn in. Before I sent it back temporarily, I was had used it for a good 24+ hours and it sounded just as good from the first second I turned it on, and I mean literally lol. I didn't wait for any warm up time either. I had the Burson soloist SL previously and that one definitely had burn in within that same time frame.

The first V281 I have heard was the demo unit at the store I purchased it in. It already had a good few hours on the clock even though the paint on it was not quite dry yet.
My unit at home sounded different. Initially I thought it was due to a different DAC used, but within the first 10-15 hours I started noticing some changes in the sound. By now it has worked about double that and the sound is more or less what I remember from the store. Which is a good thing, may I add. 
Warm up doesn't seem to have any noticeable impact.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #360 of 5,977

My unit is behaving exactly the same as your. Pretty sure this is intentional and how Violectric decide to implement it. If you look at their phono amp the V600 which have similar balance adjustment function, then it become pretty clear:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/62/900x900px-LL-62367098_V6002013Front.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back