Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #3,271 of 5,976
You must have the type A series Neutrik connector, which I prefer because it securely locks the XLR male connector in place. My V281 has the older type B series connector, and it is easy for the XLR male connector to be pulled out of the female connector unit - especially if one uses a heavy aftermarket headphone cable.

Jeff.
I doubt that would bother me unless it was falling out by itself but if it bothers you, perhaps Violectric can make the change for you?

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,273 of 5,976
On every angle and perspective v281 is a beast of an amp. A very well behaved beast that is! I burned-in my v281 over 200 hours with real music and so far I'm loving what I hear with HD6XX on the balanced out. I thought it's SE out was superb at the first, but oh man the balanced out is entirely in a different league. I'm loving the non-harsh but well extended high and the bass is just simply the best I have ever heard. I never knew the bass of HD650/XX can be layered/soundstaged with such definition. Speaking of the soundstage, the depth is outstanding and it's most 3D imagery I heard so far except some very high end tube amplifiers. But, I have a sense that HD600 will be even be a better match than HD650/6XX depending on the cable choices. I'm expecting LCD-2 Classic in a week, so hopefully I can contribute more detailed listening impression in a couple weeks or so.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #3,274 of 5,976
ok, had a lot of stuff to do in the recent months, thus being unable to update. Next week Christmas vacations start, then I will finally catch up reformatting this thread with linked user impressions since there have been quite a few very good ones that shouldn't be missed by new users and those interested in the V281 in general.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #3,275 of 5,976
A little late to the party... jumped on the V281 bandwagon recently and have been trying to find time to enjoy it.

Enjoying the amp very much at the moment. V281 drive and pair with the cans I have, HD800S and Clear very well.

V281 is a power beast indeed for a headphone amp. Good control and versatile too. Currently have the jumper on -12 dB, listening on XLR out - which is plenty to run my HD800S and allow some room to navigate the volume pot.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,276 of 5,976
Just wanted to contribute a recent V281 story...something that happened today: I have a balanced headphone on order and expect it to arrive tomorrow. So as usual, I set up a "burn-in" station in a separate room: a nearly 30 year old (but pretty good) CD player that will play various discs on endless "repeat"; and my V281. It'll take ~6 days (24/7) to burn in the new headphones.

So after setting up this gear I used my least expensive headphone (Marantz MPH-2, an overachieving Chinese closed back design) to sound-check that it even works. CD player & V281 were cold as ice, hadn't been played in days. I put one of my burn-in CDs (Sly & the Family Stone's greatest hits) in the player & hit "play."

20 minutes later I finally managed to tear the headphones off my head. That CD sounded RIDICULOUSLY good on the V281! Somehow I never heard this music through the V281. Even cold, it put out amazingly solid, tuneful bass & plenty of spatial cues. Hearing Larry Graham play funk bass on the V281 w/that group's tight vocals...an unexpected pleasure.

FYI, this CD is definitely not audiophile quality. It was recorded 45+ years ago & was never remastered. And yet, it was sounded so good!

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,277 of 5,976
Just wanted to contribute a recent V281 story...something that happened today: I have a balanced headphone on order and expect it to arrive tomorrow. So as usual, I set up a "burn-in" station in a separate room: a nearly 30 year old (but pretty good) CD player that will play various discs on endless "repeat"; and my V281. It'll take ~6 days (24/7) to burn in the new headphones.

So after setting up this gear I used my least expensive headphone (Marantz MPH-2, an overachieving Chinese closed back design) to sound-check that it even works. CD player & V281 were cold as ice, hadn't been played in days. I put one of my burn-in CDs (Sly & the Family Stone's greatest hits) in the player & hit "play."

20 minutes later I finally managed to tear the headphones off my head. That CD sounded RIDICULOUSLY good on the V281! Somehow I never heard this music through the V281. Even cold, it put out amazingly solid, tuneful bass & plenty of spatial cues. Hearing Larry Graham play funk bass on the V281 w/that group's tight vocals...an unexpected pleasure.

FYI, this CD is definitely not audiophile quality. It was recorded 45+ years ago & was never remastered. And yet, it was sounded so good!

I used to have either Sony or Pioneer 25 CD changer/player. I miss it dearly... It was a solid machine and even had digital out. It was just to bulky that I had to give to a friend when I was moving to Manhatthan like.. over a decade and some.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,278 of 5,976
Well, this CD player is bulky, too. I'm guessing ~25 lbs...at least 20"W X 14" D X 7"H.

It's a Phillips CD-80 player from early- to mid- 1980s. This was something of an audiophile model at the time due to 4X oversampling.

I bought mine used from a then-reviewer for STEREOPHILE magazine. He'd had it modified in several ways (recapped; plus installed a disc damping system). I never actually heard it w/my big living room system. Now that I think of it, never heard it w/any speaker system, which is kind of bizarre.

It sounded awfully good on a bad CD today w/the V281. Then again, what I heard was the same things I've heard w/the V281 often before: authoritative bass, BIG dynamics, great soundstaging.

I've said this before, and it bears repeating: having the V281 in one's system is like having Superman on the desktop. Nothing fazes this unit, either as amp or preamp. I haven't tried welding with it...maybe someday!

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3,279 of 5,976
Well, this CD player is bulky, too. I'm guessing ~25 lbs...at least 20"W X 14" D X 7"H.

It's a Phillips CD-80 player from early- to mid- 1980s. This was something of an audiophile model at the time due to 4X oversampling.

I bought mine used from a then-reviewer for STEREOPHILE magazine. He'd had it modified in several ways (recapped; plus installed a disc damping system). I never actually heard it w/my big living room system. Now that I think of it, never heard it w/any speaker system, which is kind of bizarre.

It sounded awfully good on a bad CD today w/the V281. Then again, what I heard was the same things I've heard w/the V281 often before: authoritative bass, BIG dynamics, great soundstaging.

I've said this before, and it bears repeating: having the V281 in one's system is like having Superman on the desktop. Nothing fazes this unit, either as amp or preamp. I haven't tried welding with it...maybe someday!

Wow, 25 lbs! 4X oversampling at that long ago is stunning as well. I'm in total agreement. I have never heard anything this level (TOTL) which is not picky with the source or materials but V281. I know it's idiosyncratic but it's extremely transparent yet forgiving.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,280 of 5,976
Got my V281 today, gonna do some A/B tonight with senn HDVA600. I'd expect the difference on HD800s is not much.
PC --> Chord Hugo TT --> V281 --> HD800s, MDR-Z1R, Elear.
all through balanced ins and outs.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,281 of 5,976
Wow, 25 lbs! 4X oversampling at that long ago is stunning as well. I'm in total agreement. I have never heard anything this level (TOTL) which is not picky with the source or materials but V281. I know it's idiosyncratic but it's extremely transparent yet forgiving.

"extremely transparent yet forgiving" (you nailed it!)

It's quite an accomplishment for any SS amp to have such impressive bass, dynamics & clarity/transparency, without ever crossing that "brightness" line. This is the "Violectric house sound" in all its glory...I get a variation of the same thing w/the Lake People G109-A, another fine amp (SE only).

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,282 of 5,976
Anyone else having issues with their Violectric setup since Apple updated to macOS High Sierra?

I have an add-in USB DAC board from Violectric based on the Tenor chip. (http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-tenor)

It does not play nicely with High Sierra at all. As soon as I power up my amp my wired keyboard locks up and my bluetooth mouse loses connectivity. I've spoken with Arthur of violectric-usa.com and he says the solution is to use the XMOS board instead. (http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-xmos) Violectric does not have a driver that is supported on macOS High Sierra.

Anyone want to buy my Tenor board for cheap? Verified with Arthur that it still works great on Windows.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,283 of 5,976
Anyone else having issues with their Violectric setup since Apple updated to macOS High Sierra?
My USB board (TENOR 24/192 for DAC) does not work on High Sierra too (it was fine on Sierra).
It installs the driver successfully, but does not show the corresponding devices at all.
I started to hate Apple. They made too much strange things in the last few OS updates.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #3,284 of 5,976

I have an add-in USB DAC board from Violectric based on the Tenor chip. (http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-tenor)

It does not play nicely with High Sierra at all. As soon as I power up my amp my wired keyboard locks up and my bluetooth mouse loses connectivity. I've spoken with Arthur of violectric-usa.com and he says the solution is to use the XMOS board instead. (http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-xmos) Violectric does not have a driver that is supported on macOS High Sierra.

Anyone want to buy my Tenor board for cheap? Verified with Arthur that it still works great on Windows.

Maybe :) PM sent.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,285 of 5,976
I am encountering issues with my V281 where I noticed that when I press the "HEAD" button to engage/disengage the connected headphone it would make a popping sound in the headphone, along with the V281's usual click. Long pressing the "HEAD" button will make the "HEAD" LED blink. I have not noticed this before. The manual only says this should occur with the "LINE" button, but nowhere does it say it should do the same for HEAD. Is this common?

I am more interested in the popping sound when engaging/disengaging though, so please V281 users let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back