Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 28, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,746 of 5,976
No real reason, only following the suggestion to be above 12 o'clock for the best sound.

It did seem like I was getting some clipping last night with it straight from the box. That's why I wondered if the output from the Gungnir was too much.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,747 of 5,976
No real reason, only following the suggestion to be above 12 o'clock for the best sound.

The whole point of decreasing gain is to allow you to have a greater control of incremental volume adjustments to give the "perfect" volume for whatever passage of music you are listening to.  I find there is a range that requires volume adjustments between recordings.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,748 of 5,976
  The whole point of decreasing gain is to allow you to have a greater control of incremental volume adjustments to give the "perfect" volume for whatever passage of music you are listening to.  I find there is a range that requires volume adjustments between recordings.

I think you can use positions between detents of the "simple" volume control. But personally, I don't have such necessity.
Probably, this recommendation is originated because of possible non-linearities for positions below 9 o'clock.
And because guys from Violectric filter potentiometers with the channel mismatch greater than 0.3 dB at 12 o'clock.
In my case this is the first 3 dentents only, with the slight shift towards the right channel.
For the relay-based volume control there should not be such problem at all.
And as I know relay-based volume control attenuates the signal by 0.75 dB per step, not like "simple" volume control.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #2,749 of 5,976

It did seem like I was getting some clipping last night with it straight from the box. That's why I wondered if the output from the Gungnir was too much.

You can check this by swapping input channels or by changing the input level, or something like this.
The clipping may disappear or change it's character if it is caused by equipment.
The clipping should sound the same if it is in the music (not the rare case).
It is easy to detect such things with the V281.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,751 of 5,976
I did the -6 and the -12, that's working well.

Figured out the clipping issue. I was using Roon for the first time when I got the amp and didn't have the settings totally correct.

It's amazing the amount of detail this amp provides compared to my Moljnir 2 with holy grail Telefunken tubes.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,754 of 5,976
Anyone have experience with iFi iCan Pro?...if so, how does it compare with v281?

I used to have v281, but sold it because it was too dark for my taste, iFi Pro iCan has similar dynamism as v281 but is with warm signature but not as warm as v281.  If you are OK with voiding the warranty, replacing the tube with WE396A will give a more neutral presentation compared to the solid state mode of the iCan Pro, so you get two amps in one.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,755 of 5,976
Anyone have experience with iFi iCan Pro?...if so, how does it compare with v281?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ifi-pro-ican-mixed-tube-and-solid-state-headphone-amplifier#5smDOtdt5BqxYTDy.97

That's his review with a comparison to other amps including the V281

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,758 of 5,976
I used to have v281, but sold it because it was too dark for my taste, iFi Pro iCan has similar dynamism as v281 but is with warm signature but not as warm as v281.  If you are OK with voiding the warranty, replacing the tube with WE396A will give a more neutral presentation compared to the solid state mode of the iCan Pro, so you get two amps in one.
warm might be what I need as I'm trying to match an amp with Focal Utopia's...everyone I ask suggests copper cables and warmer amps.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,759 of 5,976
warm might be what I need as I'm trying to match an amp with Focal Utopia's...everyone I ask suggests copper cables and warmer amps.

One of my setups is Solid State a V281 and I don't know about "dark" per se as much as very accurate.  If your source is a poor recording or very bright, that's what you're going to hear!  I was running Lavricables XLR silver HP cables and I went to Black Dragon copper XLR.  I prefered the presentation. My DAC is a Mytek Brooklyn and it can present bright at times so I found the the V281/Brooklyn combo worked well with copper. Since you're going to invest a fair amount of money, I would suggest auditions and let your ears tell you what t buy. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #2,760 of 5,976
  One of my setups is Solid State a V281 and I don't know about "dark" per se as much as very accurate.  If your source is a poor recording or very bright, that's what you're going to hear!  I was running Lavricables XLR silver HP cables and I went to Black Dragon copper XLR.  I prefered the presentation. My DAC is a Mytek Brooklyn and it can present bright at times so I found the the V281/Brooklyn combo worked well with copper. Since you're going to invest a fair amount of money, I would suggest auditions and let your ears tell you what t buy. 

I know of a guy who had Moon audio Neo 430 AMP then AURALiC Taurus MKII then V281 and Master 9 now. At one point he was saying I do not recommend any SS and he also have custom built tube amp. After many Dacs he had Bricasti Design M1. He said Master9 AMP was the better one for Utopias but he could not stand the highs with M1 (M1 is about GBP6500) and got the cheaper Schitt Yoggy. With yoggy it was better for him and then decided to sell his Utopias as he was not still satisfied (Mind you he was advocating HE6 users to try Utopia when he first got it). Now back to his good old Hifiman HE6 with power amp/speaker amp and considering HE1000v2.

So if you are having problems with Utoipia may be audition some pairing before spending heaps of money on cables which for many does not make any difference. If nothing works then look for different HPs

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back