Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #2,671 of 5,931
Well the v220 is this exact amp minus the balanced feature, so if you don't want balanced, then you can get the flagship amp minus the balanced plug for $600-odd less than the v281.

If you compare the v220 to v281 both on single ended outputs they should, in theory, sound identical.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #2,672 of 5,931
Well the v220 is this exact amp minus the balanced feature, so if you don't want balanced, then you can get the flagship amp minus the balanced plug for $600-odd less than the v281.

If you compare the v220 to v281 both on single ended outputs they should, in theory, sound identical.

Good to know. But what if I have no need for the balance control and output options of the V220 as well, how does the V200 compare then?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,673 of 5,931
  But what if I have no need for the balance control and output options of the V220 as well, how does the V200 compare then?

I compared V200, V181 in balanced, and V281 in SE directly. All connected from V800 via RCA. V200 and V181 (in balanced) sounded very close to me. But V281 had more natural sound stage, and was more open sounding, with deeper punch. The difference was not subtle. But some people here or in reviews tell that there is no significant difference within V200 and V281 in SE. For me V200 sounds more flat.

When I compared V200 and V220 I had the same difference, but the most noticeable was the sound stage and openness.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #2,674 of 5,931
I owned the V200 twice and the V280/281 are simply much better, also and especially over the SE (can't compare balanced as V200 doesn't offer that and you don't need it - else the comparison would end in: don't get the V200):

what they do better:

-better clarity and transparency, the window into the sound is clearer and you can see farther and deeper into it, make out nuances and contours better. Not saying the V200 is like a milk glass where you can't to see a lot of the world that the music builds outside, it just doesn't compare in finer detail, noticing textures and seeing the dynamic of fast pace direction changes or movements of butterflies, birds aka microdetails (I can't describe audio good I hope you don't mind this colorbook description). That's the most important difference.

-soundstage/imaging: some people do not care about this since they know that these traits are superior on loudspeakers but to those that care this category is also one where the new gen simply is superior. I mentioned the V281 having a grand soundstage (tall, fantastic width, depth). You won't get that with the V200 at all in comparison. This will be the first thing you'll notice.

-I owned the TH-900 too and found the V200 pairing really enjoyable. I thought it would make the sometimes hot treble of the TH-900 a bit more forgettable and make it a fire and forget headphone deluxe but the clarity of the TH-900 is so amazing that this trait should be supported by a better amp.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2,677 of 5,931
Thank you all for the useful info and detailed comparisons!
Surely things to take into account when deciding.
Maybe I should give balanced another thought even though my experiences with balanced vs. SE on the GS-X tuned out to be unnoticeable. But I wasn't a fan of a bright amp like that aznyway.
Wll be expensive again though since I'd have to reterminate a few and recable some other cans.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,678 of 5,931
I suppose at least if you got a v281, it should serve you well as an endgame amp through any headphone upgrades (many people including myself use it with top tier HPs), even if you don't use the balanced out right now...

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #2,679 of 5,931
  Wll be expensive again though since I'd have to reterminate a few and recable some other cans.

Start with the hardest to drive headphones, as that's where the impact of going balanced will be most beneficial.

I have done this over time with all my headphones and the results vary from bewildering to hardly noticeable. The one that benefited most was the humble Q701.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2,680 of 5,931
Finally pulled the trigger and got myself a V281 which is currently driving my Ether Flows, and I gotta say this is in a whole new league compared to the G109S that I previously owned, It's not as warm as I was expecting it to be, or maybe that's just because I'm using the Ether Flows  which aren't the warmest headphones around. Still loving the combo
dt880smile.png

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,681 of 5,931
  Finally pulled the trigger and got myself a V281 which is currently driving my Ether Flows, and I gotta say this is in a whole new league compared to the G109S that I previously owned, It's not as warm as I was expecting it to be, or maybe that's just because I'm using the Ether Flows  which aren't the warmest headphones around. Still loving the combo
dt880smile.png

Enjoy! I'd like to hear the Flow's (open).

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,682 of 5,931
@Yoga

As I remember, you have non stock cable for HD800 with silver wires.
Do you have something like this for your LCD2, or you use the stock cable?
What the difference is? Especially in combination with V281.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #2,683 of 5,931
  I suppose at least if you got a v281, it should serve you well as an endgame amp through any headphone upgrades (many people including myself use it with top tier HPs), even if you don't use the balanced out right now...

What is endgame really ? Im still looking for ways to improve my system :) Even change sonically. Or save up for the 50k usd hp system ?

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #2,684 of 5,931
  What is endgame really ? Im still looking for ways to improve my system :) Even change sonically. Or save up for the 50k usd hp system ?

Well, nothing makes me crave another amp.  I guess it's endgame for me.

I understand that people have the never ending urge to tweak or buy different gear or build a collection or whatever.  I added vinyl to my setup.  Not because it sounds better, but because it's a nice toy to have.  Would also like some speakers.  Wouldn't mind one of those smyth realisers... I would rather add elements to my system rather than change existing parts.  Especially when you have an amp like the 281, I feel like I would just be buying 'different' rather than 'better'.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #2,685 of 5,931
Same here. I went for the V281 instead of the other models so I could go balanced and add some studio monitors to my desktop setup, which I've yet to acquire. Apart from that, I'm good. Very, very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back