Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,417 of 5,931
It's just the V850 minus the potentiometer, multiple upsampling modes and a smaller power supply.

Exactly.  The RS06 is closer to the V850 than most people realize.  As long as you can tolerate the difference in appearance.

It has a switching power supply, instead of the linear supply on the V800/V850, but Fried says switching is actually quieter for this application.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,418 of 5,931

I had a war on everything last night. Decided to try everything I owned. Also calibrate everything so I had good volume control scope.

I tested the following:

Vega DAC: Which filters sounded the best (I have 4 to choose from), also what volume setting worked best for both amps.

V281: Pin controls to give the best volume range.

Woo WA22: High and Low sensitivity. Plus volume range. I have a pet hate on the WA22. A stepped volume control. Which gets clicky when going above half way. So I like to keep under half. So Vega level needed to pumped up.

Then the best HP's. AudioQuest NightHawks or Ether Flow.

Like I said War. It was filters, volumes, pins, sensitivity and HP's.
biggrin.gif

As far as amps go the V281 was a clear winner over the Woo WA22. Outstanding. The first SS amp that I believe beats my tube amp.

My winning best combo was Vega filter 3 > V281 pins -12db > Ether Flow.
I'm going to have so much fun with this combo over the Xmas holidays.

Rock on V281.
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,419 of 5,931

As far as amps go the V281 was a clear winner over the Woo WA22. Outstanding. The first SS amp that I believe beats my tube amp.

Rock on V281. :beerchug:

Nice to hear! I just pulled the trigger on the V281. I don't have Ether Flows (yet) but Senn 800S and Senn 650 (all German chain!). I considered a tube amp to pair with the 800S but I'm a SS guy and don't want to deal with rolling. I'm sure I'd get addicted to trying all the best tubes I can find.

So V281 it is!

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #2,420 of 5,931

I had a war on everything last night. Decided to try everything I owned. Also calibrate everything so I had good volume control scope.

I tested the following:

Vega DAC: Which filters sounded the best (I have 4 to choose from), also what volume setting worked best for both amps.

V281: Pin controls to give the best volume range.

Woo WA22: High and Low sensitivity. Plus volume range. I have a pet hate on the WA22. A stepped volume control. Which gets clicky when going above half way. So I like to keep under half. So Vega level needed to pumped up.

Then the best HP's. AudioQuest NightHawks or Ether Flow.

Like I said War. It was filters, volumes, pins, sensitivity and HP's. :D

Rock on V281. :beerchug:

Bring on WA5 :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,421 of 5,931
Nice to hear! I just pulled the trigger on the V281. I don't have Ether Flows (yet) but Senn 800S and Senn 650 (all German chain!). I considered a tube amp to pair with the 800S but I'm a SS guy and don't want to deal with rolling. I'm sure I'd get addicted to trying all the best tubes I can find.

So V281 it is!

Congrats!

You are going to be very happy.

I have heard the V281 > HD800S combo. Very, very nice.

V281 is the first SS amp I have heard that has convinced me I don't desire or need tubes.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #2,423 of 5,931

So V281 it is!

Very nice. Welcome to the club I am looking forward to your impressions. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,428 of 5,931
I'm using -12 pre gain for the HD800SD and prefer it to 0db as there's a noticable difference you could spot blindly. 

in comparison to +0db the sound has less body fat with more definition and delicacy, it's Dancer of the Boreal Valley vs. Yhorm the Giant. Both have their qualities but here I prefer the more gracile, agile and sharp approach.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #2,429 of 5,931
  I'm using -12 pre gain for the HD800SD and prefer it to 0db as there's a noticable difference you could spot blindly. 

in comparison to +0db the sound has less body fat with more definition and delicacy, it's Dancer of the Boreal Valley vs. Yhorm the Giant. Both have their qualities but here I prefer the more gracile, agile and sharp approach.

I'll be getting my v281 within the next couple weeks and will test your gain preferences.  I have the 800S.

Thanks for providing your perspective!

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,430 of 5,931
I have been following this thread with some interest, especially because of all the glowing reviews.

Some of my previous amps have been good, but have always left me wanting for more.  I had several tube amps, including a Zana Deux Transformer, which I felt was amazingly clear and neutral, with lots of power.  However, the dynamic range and details fell short of my other amps which were solid state.

Most recently, I picked up a Questyle CMA800R, which is excellent with my HD800, but it sees little use because I prefer my T1, which it does not pair well with.

In general, I really enjoy a resolving headphone like the T1 with a nice soundstage, but with a touch of warmth and body in the presentation.  It feels as though the V281 is that amp, but unfortunately I have no way to audition it.  I believe I am looking for the clarity of a solid state amp with the punch, dynamics, and warmth of a tube amp.

If anyone can share their experience with the V281 vs. other high end amps paired with the T1, HD800, and LCD2, I would be very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back