Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Sep 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #2,267 of 5,977
  V281 is less warm than the V280 with a slightly bigger soundstage, you also have the power advantage. Can't say anything about those DACs in comparison though. However if you have the money then go for the V850. Much more sophisticated build and a superior PSU. 

Having run a V281 with an Auralic Vega, then a Hegel HD30, and now a Bricasti M1, I can confirm that this amp scales nicely with better DACs. I have never heard the V850 - might be great for all I know - but if your budget can stretch to an Uber-ish DAC, the V281 will reward you.

My original V281 was damaged in a power spike and is under repair. I missed it so much I picked up a replacement unit on a recent trip to Melbourne to visit family. The price was too good to miss. Only downside is that only the silver face plate option was available, but it has the TOTL relay volume control. Since I don't look at the DAC while listening to music I really don't care all that much about the colour. Not sure what to do with the extra V281 once the repair is complete. Might just keep it as a spare since I don't like to be without a working V281.

Some folks have asked about running a HE6 from the V281 and the gain switches at the back. My 2 cents on this - the V281 drives the HE6 superbly. I am using my V281->HE6 rig right now. The volume control is at 12 o'clock and putting it higher will start listening fatigue for me. The XLR outputs on my Bricasti throw about 3V, so the DAC feed is slightly warm, but there is plenty of head space on the amp. This is with the gain switches in the default position (no extra gain at all). It just isn't necessary IMHO, even with the HE6.

A DAC with a 2V output would need the volume pot cranked a little more, but messing with the gain switches still shouldn't be necessary. This is using the balanced output on the V281, of course. I think the single ended outputs throw half the power? Whatever - pointless with the HE6. Go balanced or go home
evil_smiley.gif

Running the HE6 from a power amp does give slightly more bass and body to the music to my ears, but not hugely so in my experience. Maybe a 5 or 10% difference, if that. I think it would not be a simple task to tell them apart in a blind test. My HE6 slams hard from the V281.

I have gone through the Auralic Taurus MK2, then Simaudio 430HA and finally the V281. My amp search has ended with the V281. I love this amp.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,270 of 5,977

Wow you REALLY love your 281!

It's a bromance kind of thing
bigsmile_face.gif

V281 is the only amp I have heard that combines detail, dynamics, punch with a touch a of warmth.

@TonyNewman Do you prefer M1's direct balanced out or V281? Could you elaborate the differences? Finally, have you heard the Headamp GS-X MkII? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Never heard the GS-X Mk2. Given my penchant for neutralish headphones a neutral-bright amp like the GS-X is unlikely to work for me. Everything I have read about it points to it being a suped-up Taurus. I'll pass on that. Combining neutral-bright amps with neutral-bright headphones makes my skin crawl. Might work great with an Audeze or Abyss type of headphone. I don't like Audeze products and the Abyss makes me shudder (for price and looks).

Only headphone I have now that can be well driven direct from the Bricasti is the Ether C. The Ether C is a little bright for that and benefits from the extra warmth of the V281. Once I get the Ether C upgraded to an Ether Flow (open) then all this could change. I would expect the Flow to work great direct from the Bricasti. I'm looking forward to trying that.

The 3V output from the Bricasti does drive the HE6 very nicely for everything except the bass - which fails badly. Not that different to driving a HE6 from the Taurus in that respect. Needs more juice.

Driving direct from the DAC output does increase transparency, dynamics, detail a tad. Not huge, but noticeable. The XLR harness was relatively cheap, so an easy experiment to try it. Tonality is the issue with the Ether C. Flow could tick the box nicely. A focal product might also be another candidate, but my budget is so shredded that it will be a while before I can try that.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,271 of 5,977
Here's a question about the "Pre-fader" and "Post-fader" settings which I have sent to Violectric Customer service:  The short version is that in "Pre-fader" settings, in which the volume level of the V281 is supposed to be fixed, I can still control volume levels of my speakers with the V281, which seems to indicate that the volume level is still "variable" rather than fixed.  I want to know if I am not doing something correctly, or whether my unit is faulty.

Here's the full question:

I have a question for you, regarding the use of the "Pre-fader and "Post-fader" settings" on the v281. I have my V281 connected to an external processor (Emotiva XMC-1, which services my entire HT system)...  My Schiit Yggdrasil feeds the V281 using the balanced connections, mostly for Headphone amping duties, but there are times when I want to listen to the Yggy through the front L, R speakers attached to the XMC-1 processor, and the V281 provides a great interface for that, through the line-out XLR connections (to the XMC-1)...

Now Because I want to control the volume of the speakers with the XMC-1 in this mode, it would be ideal for the signal feeding it from the v281 to be fixed...  Incidentally, the v281's the manual says something similar on Page 21:

"PRE-POST FADER or FIXED-VARIABLE

The line-out signal can be tapped at two different points within the
V281’s signal path.
If you wish to make use of the input signal without any level change –
for a device with its own level controls or recording purposes e.g. – the
Fixed-Out or Pre-Fader path (prior to level control) is the right choice:
In this case, the unaltered INPUT signal (prior to level control) is
forwarded to the line output."

The problem I seem to be having is that when my V281 is on the Fixed/Pre fader setting (Green "Line" led, and "XLR" led lights illuminated), the volume of the speakers still remains very sensitive to the volume level of the V281, and I can control the volume of the speakers with both the V281 Dial and the volume dial of the XMC-1, which is not ideal, because I'd rather have the level on the V281 fixed (as described by the manual) and only the XMC-1 doing the actual volume control.  Besides, it seems to me, if I have understood the manual correctly, that this behavior reflects that "Post Fader/Variable volume level" mode, and not the "pre-fader/Fixed" mode I am looking for.

There is also how the manual describes the process of switching between modes:

"Switching between “Pre“ and “Post“
is effected via software:
Press and hold the “LINE“ pushbutton
for about two seconds until the green
LED starts flashing. The present status
is displayed by the “XLR” LED (pre
fader) or the “DIG” LED (post fader)."

When I press the "Line Button", however, the flashing of the green light seems to occur only in the DIG setting (or leading to the selection of that DIG setting), which is actually intended for the selection of the "Post-fader/Variable", and not in the "Prefader/fixed level setting.

I wonder whether there is something I am doing wrong in negotiating these settings, or whether my V281 is faulty.

The unit is otherwise performing very well, interfacing between the Yggy and the XMC-1 processor, and enabling me to hear the sound from the Yggy in my speakers.  It is just that the volume level is acting "variable" rather than "fixed."

Any helpful thoughts you can provide about this matter would be highly appreciated.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,272 of 5,977
Hey guys and gals don't hammer me I am a rookie in Head Fi. I did end up with the V220 without the inhouse DAC 10 days ago. Just 2 days ago the Violectric lovefest cause me to run out in the rain here in Saigon to get the Senn DH 800S just to try it with the Vio. Now just burn in for 40 hours and I am watching the NFL on season pass and man, sounds like I am AT the game. I will try music maybe tomorrow. I have also gotten a Labkable power cord that will be deliver today here at the house to go with the Vio V220. I know this is the V281 thread so just dropping in to say the lovefest is in high swing here this amp just sound so awesome!!!

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,273 of 5,977
  "Switching between “Pre“ and “Post“
is effected via software:
Press and hold the “LINE“ pushbutton
for about two seconds until the green
LED starts flashing. The present status
is displayed by the “XLR” LED (pre
fader) or the “DIG” LED (post fader)."

When I press the "Line Button", however, the flashing of the green light seems to occur only in the DIG setting (or leading to the selection of that DIG setting), which is actually intended for the selection of the "Post-fader/Variable", and not in the "Prefader/fixed level setting.

You need to push the LINE button for about two seconds, then you can select between pre and post fader by pressing XLR or DIG.
You need to push the LINE button for about two seconds again to finish.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,274 of 5,977
  You need to push the LINE button for about two seconds, then you can select between pre and post fader by pressing XLR or DIG.
You need to push the LINE button for about two seconds again to finish.

Thanks for the tutorial... It was my fault... I didn't realize I had to push the XLR too, so no matter what I did, it was operating in the post fader mode.  It is working as it should now.  The Pre-fader position gives me a fixed volume level now, and the music sounds much much better, because now, I can feel the full effects of the dynamics, the instrument separation, the depth and the 3d layering of my Yggy's soundstage--Wonderful!

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #2,275 of 5,977
Hi project86,

I am about to return my Resonessence Labs DAC to have it upgraded to the Mirus Pro version.

I normally listen to music through my DAC/Preamp/Amp/Speakers and have decided to extend my music listening with good quality headphones.

I would be using my upgraded DAC with unbalanced outlets to Preamp/Amp/speakers and the balanced outlets to a new headphone amp.

I listened to the HD800 headphones several years ago and was very impressed, although the HD800 and HD800 S are both in my price range, so I shall check out both.

I am considering either the Auralic Taurus MKII or Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifiers which appear to work well with the HD800/HD800 S and when my DAC is returned to me I will audition both of them.

Selection of headphone cables appears very confusing, I will probably listen to the the stock cables for a while so I have some reference when auditioning replacement cables.

Have you arrived at an opinion on how the Mirus Pro DAC drives the V281?

If you have used the HD800 or HD800 S headphones with your Mirus Pro and V281 could you advise how the headphones compare?

Do you have the 2nd Volume Control Option and if so do you consider this an essential upgrade?

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2,276 of 5,977
If I use balanced source, the signal comes to the amplifiers as is without splitting, inverting, or something else.
So, almost for sure, the noise is in phase and will be virtually subtracted. Maybe you're right in this case.
Now I want to get the corresponding cables and make my own measurements to check that...

Another thing what is interesting to me is the balanced<->single ended jumper.
Does it change the 6.3 jacks mapping only, or it makes something more (maybe changes the amps mapping), and what can it do with crosstalk, for example.

My v281 with my ie800's works great. Gain at +6 no noise floor. Like my 800 S better but they are nearly 3 times the money.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #2,277 of 5,977
[COLOR=000000]Hi project86,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]I am about to return my [COLOR=000000]Resonessence Labs[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]DAC to have it upgraded to the Mirus Pro version.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

I normally listen to music through my DAC/Preamp/Amp/Speakers and have decided to extend my music listening with good quality headphones.

I would be using my upgraded DAC with unbalanced outlets to Preamp/Amp/speakers and the balanced outlets to a new headphone amp.

I listened to the HD800 headphones several years ago and was very impressed, although the HD800 and HD800 S are both in my price range, so I shall check out both.

I am considering either th[COLOR=000000]e [COLOR=000000]Auralic Taurus MKII or Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifiers which appear to work well with the HD800/HD800 S and when my DAC is returned to me I will audition both of them.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Selection of headphone cables appears very confusing, I will probably listen to the the stock cables for a while so I have some reference when auditioning replacement cables.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Have you arrived at an opinion on how the Mirus Pro DAC drives the V281?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]If you have used the HD800 or HD800 S headphones with your Mirus Pro and V281 could you advise how the headphones compare?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Do you have the 2nd Volume Control Option and if so do you consider this an essential upgrade?[/COLOR]

Can speaker on your dac as I'm using a turntable but the v281 is a beast pretty much a killer of most other headphones above and below my 800 S. Do not go 800 unless you mod them lacks bass and harsh highs. IMHO

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,278 of 5,977
My v281 with my ie800's works great. Gain at +6 no noise floor. Like my 800 S better but they are nearly 3 times the money.

IE800 have 103 dB/mW, this is not as much as 115 or greater :)
But it is possible what some persons, which have the noise, have another problems (maybe bad power source, ground loops, etc.).
It is also possible what the noise from the amp is "lower" because the SPL of the headphones is different at the different frequencies.
Personally, I have no any noise in my setup, which I can hear.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #2,279 of 5,977
Are there any optimum settings for the output volume of a DAC or V281 when connecting from the DAC to the balanced or un-balanced signal inputs on a V281?

I could use the volume control on the DAC, but would use the channel balance control on the V281.

My DAC produces maximum Balanced 4.6 Vrms @ 0dB Volume – Impedance 78 ohm and Un-balanced 2.3 Vrms @ 0dB Volume – Impedance 39 ohm.

I will probably be using DAC and V281 with HD800 S headphones.

If using a Resonessence Mirus Pro DAC with the V281 could anyone suggest suitable Balanced interconnects between the DAC and V281 (max 1.5m long cable)?

Does the 128-step relay attenuator upgrade provide an increase in sound quality?

Has anyone used the two unbalanced phone jacks as left and right channels Balanced mode by re-setting the internal jumpers?  

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,280 of 5,977
Are there any optimum settings for the output volume of a DAC or V281 when connecting from the DAC to the balanced or un-balanced signal inputs on a V281?

I will probably be using DAC and V281 with HD800 S headphones.

Does the 128-step relay attenuator upgrade provide an increase in sound quality?

I would recommend reading up on the new Focal Elear and Mr Speakers Ether Flow and getting demos before you purchase HD800S. I have modded HD800's but based on early impressions one of the new offerings may be a better option depending on the sound signature you like.

Based on most of the feedback if there is a sound difference between the volume controls it is very small. I have the remote control option and have been very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back