Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 27, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #5,926 of 5,935
1. I have the pre gain switches set to 0db which seems to keep me between 11 and 1 on the volume attenuator.
I’m sure you’ll come to appreciate the pre gain switches once you rotate through a couple of headphones on the V281 and be able to keep the volume between 11 and 1 this way (which is how Fried is recommending it).

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #5,927 of 5,935
With another tremendous 300-ohm headphone, Nitsch/JAR 600, V281 is a fabulous match!
IMG_7935.jpeg

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #5,928 of 5,935
I have a lot going on here, with multiple loaners to be heard and reviewed. At the moment my reissue V281 is burning in with one of the loaner headphones (convenient!).

Eventually I'll find the time to install the resissue in the same system as the OG V281 (my best & favorite SS amp), connect them to the same DAC with the same interconnects, then try to figure out if they sound exactly the same, or somehow different.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #5,929 of 5,935
I have a lot going on here, with multiple loaners to be heard and reviewed. At the moment my reissue V281 is burning in with one of the loaner headphones (convenient!).
Not a bad problem to have :o2smile:!
I'd be glad to come over and help test out the cool new loaner gear if I lived closer.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #5,930 of 5,935
Good evening V281's:

I have settled on -6db as my gain setting which enables me to achieve unity and keep the amp between 11 and 1. I learned recently from an amp builder friend that most if not all amps achieve unity gain when they settle in between 12 and 2. My friend @jonathan c will say that in this range you achieve greater dynamics. He couldn't be more correct. Is there a connection? I have no clue...haha. I am not an engineer, but I can teach you how to properly cook a french scrambled egg.

I am 24 hrs into my time with the V281, and have put about 8 hrs of solid listening time in. The amp already had 25-50 hrs before I got it, so I feel that while it may continue to improve or change, I feel confident that the major characteristics of the amp are already laying themselves bare. I am completely and utterly addicted to my ZMFs on this amp. It is definitely a high impedance dynamic headphone juggernaut. That being said, it is pushing a ton of current at lower impedances as well, and it seems that the amps slew rates are extremely fast which makes the amp capable of handling different frequency responses without issue. In addition, I am finding the amp to have little to no drift and achieves bias from cold rather quickly. However, I haven't turned it off for mosts of the day. But, I did turn it off to mess with the gain switches and start it up from cold and the amp biased really fast. Less than 10 minutes to reach peak performance. This is probably a subjective opinion, and some may feel the amp needs longer to warm up before it reaches its peak. It is also completely quiet and grain free. I hear nothing but clean music. It sounds terrific.

I love the form factor of the amp, and as I said yesterday the relay stepped attenuator gives me no grief. I can't hear the volume changing positions while music is playing and other than dropping the volume while switching gain with the amp off, I cannot hear the relays clicking over. I could hear them without music, but my Corda Soul MK2 has a very similar volume solution and so I am used to it and I don't mind it one bit. Others might, if they are used to smooth velvety volume pots. To my ears, the volume pot has no negative affects on the overall sound of the amp.

The amp itself sounds fantastic. It has a big bottom end, what the funk bass players would call "deep pockets", that is a touch bloomy for me at times, but 90% plus of the time it is no issue for me at all. Only when listening to certain live performances when I want more of a linear response do I really notice how much bass the amp has below 500khz. However, the amps total harmonic integration is so good that the bass folds nicely into the sonic whole and does not impede on the midrange. The midrange is absolutely sublime. The soundstage is really open and faithful to the recording with near perfect image specificity. Instruments are in their correct positions with proper tonality and timbral qualities north of neutral. While I say that, they aren't exponentially north of neutral, just a bit giving the amp lovely distortion qualities that make music sound lifelike and organic. As for the treble, I am still deciding on how to describe it. Piano, organ and cymbals have nice decay and beautiful tone. I love the way cymbals crash and then trail off. I can hear the drummer grab the cymbal, or the reverb as it trails off into the mix. However, the treble can also sound a smidge dark at times and so I am still deciding on how to accurately describe what I am hearing. I still have a long way to go....

All in all, I am loving the V281 and feel that it was a great idea to reissue this amp. As a buddy says to me about the Talking Heads song "City of Dreams" whenever he hears it covered, "some songs just deserve to be played". I echo those sentiments with this amp. Some amps just deserve to be still offered. There is just too much this amp does right for it to become something of audio lore. It deserves to be played. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy another few song before turning it off for the night.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #5,932 of 5,935
I've predominantly listening to the V281 from the HE1000 Stealth, but I'm relaxing into the evening with a lovely warm pairing, with the LCD-3F.

Audeze_LCD3_02.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #5,933 of 5,935
One attribute, among many, of a great headphone amplifier is that it makes a variety of headphones sound fantastic. V281, take your applause 👏 !!
IMG_7953.jpeg

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #5,934 of 5,935
Gave in and grabbed one. Was thinking of waiting for the 2nd batch of 50 but spoke to Arthur this morning and he said that there's no timeline on the next batch of 50. So its not clear when that would happen. So if anyone is on the fence might wanna grab it while there's still units in stock.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #5,935 of 5,935
One attribute, among many, of a great headphone amplifier is that it makes a variety of headphones sound fantastic. V281, take your applause 👏 !!IMG_7953.jpeg
This is 100% true.

I'm hard pressed to remember any headphone that didn't sound at least very good on the V281. And a number of them sound their absolute best on the V281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back