Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Jan 25, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #991 of 1,098
Take a look at the V226 or wait a bit.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #992 of 1,098
Take a look at the V226 or wait a bit.
Those of us who know you a bit understand :)

I was thinking of maybe an SPL Phonitor 2, but I'm waiting for an answer to an email I sent them.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #993 of 1,098
Freid Reim says than Violectric V280 via balanced on lcd2c have very wide soundstage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220201-185344_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220201-185344_Gmail.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #995 of 1,098
Freid Reim says than Violectric V280 via balanced on lcd2c have very wide soundstage.

I found the LCD-2 Classic to have the biggest stage and openness with non-stock pads or Dekoni Elite Velour. Also fixed up a lot of FR issues. Do you own it?

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #997 of 1,098
It will

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #998 of 1,098
I will share my experience with opamp rolling i have done with my V280FE, after purchase i was not really satisfied with the sound - so i started to replace
the 4x NE5532 with OPA2228 thats was an improvement matching my prefered taste - then i tried to replace the single opamps NE5534 with OPA627 and also OPA1611
which both sound worse. Finally i ended up with the 4x OPA1612 as replacement for NE5532 and let the NE5534 untouched. in my opinion the overall sound changed to having more Details and Clarity, paired with my Denafrips Pontus II using the I2S Connection (Douk Audio U2Pro - my Gustard U18 was sent back for repair) the 3D Space
and Separation of Instruments are now noticeable improved.
Btw. I only use IEM's with the -18db setting, and JRiver with activated ASIO Driver.
(I have also replaced the 3x N5532 in my Lake People G111 with OPA1612)

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #1,000 of 1,098
HE-6 sounds good, well controlled and hits hard. Sounds better than PM5005 so far.

Intersting post on the pm5005. Iv been using my pm5005 with Arya V2 and Hd6xx connected to mojo, mimby and ares2.. For now i feel very satisfied with what i hear from the hp out. Since there aren't many using pm5005 as their main hp amp, wanted to ask - how much better or similar is v280 over the pm5005? What are the key upgrades you hear in sound over the 5005?

PS - Im getting a decent deal on a 5 month old used unit, wondering if it's worth pulling the trigger? Your exp can can go a long way in helping me decide if it's worth the 1200usd.

Also any idea how this compares to a burson soloist?

Many thanks

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #1,001 of 1,098
Intersting post on the pm5005. Iv been using my pm5005 with Arya V2 and Hd6xx connected to mojo, mimby and ares2.. For now i feel very satisfied with what i hear from the hp out. Since there aren't many using pm5005 as their main hp amp, wanted to ask - how much better or similar is v280 over the pm5005? What are the key upgrades you hear in sound over the 5005?

PS - Im getting a decent deal on a 5 month old used unit, wondering if it's worth pulling the trigger? Your exp can can go a long way in helping me decide if it's worth the 1200usd.

Also any idea how this compares to a burson soloist?

Many thanks
It sounds great with dacs that have great resolution and punch.
On top of that you get rock solid device that is built to last much longer than most of the stuff.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #1,002 of 1,098
Recently picked up a FE from Drop. After a few days of warm up I tried it with my Stellia and was very disappointed. Feeling like I wasted a lot of money (the FE is final sale at Drop), I tried it on my office system with the Focal Clear. I was pleasantly surprised. It sounds excellent. Excellent detail and and *very* musically engaging. I am driving it balanced with a Schiit Bifrost 2.

So be careful with pairings. It seems to like headphones that are harder to drive (the Stellia is extremely efficient). Avoid anything that might have the least bit of bass bloat or a loose bass. As others have said the bass is strong and has excellent control, but it will expose any weakness something else in the chain may have in the bass. Similarly, be careful if anything has upper midrange grain or glassiness.

This amp is unforgiving in that it may expose weaknesses in other components. It also may expose problems in music that is not well recorded. Compression or low bit rate are particularly obvious.

The flip side of this is if everything else in the chain is clean and the recording is high quality it will sound great.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,003 of 1,098
Recently picked up a FE from Drop. After a few days of warm up I tried it with my Stellia and was very disappointed. Feeling like I wasted a lot of money (the FE is final sale at Drop), I tried it on my office system with the Focal Clear. I was pleasantly surprised. It sounds excellent. Excellent detail and and *very* musically engaging. I am driving it balanced with a Schiit Bifrost 2.

So be careful with pairings. It seems to like headphones that are harder to drive (the Stellia is extremely efficient). Avoid anything that might have the least bit of bass bloat or a loose bass. As others have said the bass is strong and has excellent control, but it will expose any weakness something else in the chain may have in the bass. Similarly, be careful if anything has upper midrange grain or glassiness.

This amp is unforgiving in that it may expose weaknesses in other components. It also may expose problems in music that is not well recorded. Compression or low bit rate are particularly obvious.

The flip side of this is if everything else in the chain is clean and the recording is high quality it will sound great.
I found my v280 was too warm with my (warmer) empyreans but fine/very good with other non warm headphones - utopia, hekse

and the hekse are extremely easy to drive well

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #1,004 of 1,098
I found my v280 was too warm with my (warmer) empyreans but fine/very good with other non warm headphones - utopia, hekse

and the hekse are extremely easy to drive well

I'll echo both of you as I was not a fan with the Empys on the V280 either. In fact it prompted my search for an amp with better synergy. With something like the Arya though the v280 is just about perfect.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #1,005 of 1,098
The Violectric V280 is a dream with Focal Clear OG. For the Meze Empyrean, not so: that role is fulfilled by the HeadAmp GSX-mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back