Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Feb 24, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #286 of 1,098
There is a jumper setting for the v281 to change the two unbalanced connections to carry a balanced signal (left and right in sum). I didn't find the info in the v280 manual though.

Humm, I’ve checked the amp and there’s only the Right/Left pre-gain switches. I guess the v280 doesn’t have that option unfortunately.

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #289 of 1,098
There’s actually a pair of jumpers labeled U < > B besides the headphone 4-pin balanced output and are set to U.

A6B65ED9-4129-4A26-ACB5-E96CE6585581.jpeg

Could this be Unbalanced < > Balanced ? Don’t know what they’re meant for and the manual doesn’t refer either. I didn’t mess with them and left at the default U position.

Does anyone knows what these are for?

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #291 of 1,098
There’s actually a pair of jumpers labeled U < > B besides the headphone 4-pin balanced output and are set to U.

Could this be Unbalanced < > Balanced ? Don’t know what they’re meant for and the manual doesn’t refer either. I didn’t mess with them and left at the default U position.

Does anyone knows what these are for?

Those look like the chassis ground lifts depends. They’re for “solving” ground hum loops.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #293 of 1,098
Don’t think so, the chassis ground lift jumpers are near the power cable entry at the back of the unit. The jumpers I’ve mentioned are near the XLR 4-pin headphone plug, at the front of the unit.

Yeah that’s what I thought, I haven’t opened mine in awhile. U/B fits in with their G L C labeling for the jumpers. I just find it weird that in a 34 page manual there’s nothing about those switches.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #295 of 1,098
Ex works the unbalanced outputs from HPA V280 are set to 2 x stereo operation.
But there are jumpers inside the amp to provide balanced operation for both ¼” phone jacks.
Please see the attached pic from HPA V280. V280 open low res.jpg
The 2 jumpers are close to the 4-pin XLR socket.
"U" position means unbalanced / "B" position means balanced
Setting these Jumpers to the "B" position (pointing to the back of the unit) you will achieve balanced operation for the phone jacks.
Anyway I would recommend to cut any left/right connectors and solder a 4-pin XLR connector.
Cheers, Fried

Attachments

• V280 open low res.jpg
    V280 open low res.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #297 of 1,098
Well don’t leave us hanging what do you think?
Its the END GAME for me!

Very pleased with V281 fed via Gumby to my HD800s at home and V280 fed via Chord QUTEST to my Focal Clear at work. Great synergy with those headphones and they both pair up very well! I honestly dont see any difference in audio between V281 and V280 though - at least to my ears. Bought a v281 for its preamp that I can use at home down the lane....

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #299 of 1,098
How often do these popup on the used market? I've been trying to get my hands on one. I emailed Arthur and he doesn't have any B-stock at the moment.
Check out devbrada.com/classifieds/. They aggregate and list all the postings from the various head-fi for sale forums. Use the search bar to look for V280’s or Violectric and see what comes up. At the very least you can get a sense of how often they go on sale. Hifishark is also an awesome search tool for used personal audio gear.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #300 of 1,098
Check out devbrada.com/classifieds/. They aggregate and list all the postings from the various head-fi for sale forums. Use the search bar to look for V280’s or Violectric and see what comes up. At the very least you can get a sense of how often they go on sale. Hifishark is also an awesome search tool for used personal audio gear.
Thank you! This time last year Arthur had a Spring sale, no luck this year :cold_sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back