Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #271 of 1,098
Hi all, does anyone find their V280 gets very hot? Mine doesn't quite reach the 'too hot to touch' stage, but it's decidedly toasty when I put my hand on top. The volume control also gets very warm as well. It takes a while to warm up, so its not an instant thing, and then it stays constant. I only mention it as I saw a comment somewhere about Violectric running cool and that's definitely not the case with mine.
The volume control on my unit gets only slightly warm after an hour. Is your V280 located in a well ventilated area?

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #273 of 1,098
I've realised I left this hanging. Now the heatwave is over and temperatures are back to normal the V280 gets very warm (about thirty-five degrees if I put a cheap thermometer on top), but not excessively hot. The Quad 306 in the same rack gets hotter and that's lasted 20+ years, so I'm not worried. I believe the Violectric has more output devices than the Quad too, so there's a lot going on in there. :)

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #274 of 1,098
Apologies if there is a separate v281 thread (I couldn't find one). Just got the V281 today from a fellow head-fier. Using the Chord Hugo 2 as DAC and really liking what I'm hearing a lot:

43754138_290452681576434_3490093341012393984_n.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #276 of 1,098
I've realised I left this hanging. Now the heatwave is over and temperatures are back to normal the V280 gets very warm (about thirty-five degrees if I put a cheap thermometer on top), but not excessively hot. The Quad 306 in the same rack gets hotter and that's lasted 20+ years, so I'm not worried. I believe the Violectric has more output devices than the Quad too, so there's a lot going on in there. :)
Yes the ambient temperature can make quite a difference. Glad it worked out for you.

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #277 of 1,098
What a bummer! :triportsad: Ordered a v280 and was so looking forward to listen to it before I head out on a vacation. But UPS totally messed up it as the package is now untraceable. Working with Vioelectric/Arthur and hopefully should have a resolution soon as UPS refuses to give me (receiver) any further information as they investigate and want me to be in touch with seller to find a solution here. Damn....

Has this happened to anyone where UPS loses an expensive item and what the outcome from UPS was?

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #278 of 1,098
Apologies if there is a separate v281 thread (I couldn't find one). Just got the V281 today from a fellow head-fier. Using the Chord Hugo 2 as DAC and really liking what I'm hearing a lot:

Here you go https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced.705318/

Also looking forward to more impressions. :no_mouth:

What a bummer! :triportsad: Ordered a v280 and was so looking forward to listen to it before I head out on a vacation. But UPS totally messed up it as the package is now untraceable. Working with Vioelectric/Arthur and hopefully should have a resolution soon as UPS refuses to give me (receiver) any further information as they investigate and want me to be in touch with seller to find a solution here. Damn....

Has this happened to anyone where UPS loses an expensive item and what the outcome from UPS was?

Fingers crossed!

damn, hopefully this gets resolved soon

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #279 of 1,098

Fingers crossed!

I have had a few close calls with UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Thankfully the item is almost always located, somehow, someway, and delivered in good shape after a delay. But once in a while it really is lost, in which case it's up to the seller and the shipper to deal with insurance claims. Not fun but as long as there is proper insurance it should be fixed in the end.

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #280 of 1,098
Phewwww....They were able to locate the package!!! and should be delivered Monday. Thanks Arthur from vioelectric for being on top of it and kept me updated.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #284 of 1,098
I’m considering to buy a Sony MDR-Z7 headphones that come with a balanced cable terminated in two 3.5mm jacks. Is it safe to connect these to the two unbalanced headphone outputs of the v280? Would this be a balanced connection?

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #285 of 1,098
My local retailer just brought this in. Including the v281. Can the v280 drive lcd2 fazer type well. Tks
Easily, with iron grip and control as well.

I’m considering to buy a Sony MDR-Z7 headphones that come with a balanced cable terminated in two 3.5mm jacks. Is it safe to connect these to the two unbalanced headphone outputs of the v280? Would this be a balanced connection?
There is a jumper setting for the v281 to change the two unbalanced connections to carry a balanced signal (left and right in sum). I didn't find the info in the v280 manual though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back