Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Apr 12, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #301 of 1,098
Thanks @TropicalChemist for a shiny used V280 :beerchug:

DSC_1159.JPG

It's even longer than the Sennheiser amps but glad they are able to stack.

First impressions are how musical it is and just how effortlessly it can handle a single violin playing to the instant rush of a full orchestra coming in. The sound feels like it's filling every bit of space of my headphones, the complete opposite of thin with a fuller-bodied tone that is really enjoyable. Hard to imagine this amp struggling in any circumstance.

There is something going on with the way it handles mids. Almost feels as if they're recessed or not fully fleshed out compared to the HDVA 600, but will need more time to compare and perhaps fool with EQ'ing. Very happy camper here!

May 7, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #302 of 1,098
Received mine V280 yesterday and been listening to it sleepless , starving to death....

MASTERPIECE

Can't think what more can an amp do better that V280 can't do.
Totally end game one of the best amps out there for the HD800/s headphones.
I am listening and been thinking why this amp isn't getting the attention it deserves.

More to follow.

May 7, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #303 of 1,098
Received mine V280 yesterday and been listening to it sleepless , starving to death....

MASTERPIECE

I am listening and been thinking why this amp isn't getting the attention it deserves.

More to follow.

I am still contemplating if the V280 will be a big enough upgrade for my HD800S over my adi2-DAC amp..

May 7, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #304 of 1,098

MASTERPIECE

More to follow.
Yes, the V280's sibling the V281 definitely wins the popularity contest due to it's additional pre-amp section. It's nice Vioelectric provides the option of obtaining the amp with or without the pre-amp.

May 7, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #306 of 1,098
I am still contemplating if the V280 will be a big enough upgrade for my HD800S over my adi2-DAC amp..

I have heard ADI 2 for a week at my home , a friend loaner and didn't care for the amp with my HD800s.
So I guess for me the V280 is a much better amp.

May 7, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #307 of 1,098

Very happy with mine as well. Anyone with a Utopia or Z1R like this amp pairing?

This amp is very natural and transparent and effort less.
From what I am hearing I can't imagine that there is a headphone that will not be a good synergy with it.

May 8, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #308 of 1,098
I have the same DAC and its amp section did surprise me. Very transparent with stunning clarity.

That said, going back & forth between it and the v280 just now I made some notes:
  • Compared to the RME amp, the Violectric shines in separation, dynamics, and just ease of presentation. Listen to a well recorded classical quartet and it's easier to pick out the separate instruments and feel the strength of the main violin playing while noticing a wider range of dynamics from the cello in the background.

• RME's amp tends to struggle here & there, and I notice myself cranking the volume to pretty much the max trying to hear something that seems muffled to my ears. It's like an important aspect of a song is buried beneath other frequencies that I want to move out of the way, if that makes sense.

• If you want to listen anything punchy such as EDM or pop, or test your cans with some sweet, ear-enveloping bass extensions, you pretty much need an amp here. You will definitely notice a difference with a beefy amp such as the v280 on the low end.
To be clear hooking up an expensive amp will not be complete night & day like some people will claim, but if you're into quality audio presentation (and chances are that you are since you're here) you will appreciate pairing the RME with a quality amp.

May 8, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #309 of 1,098
This is it. If you want the HD800 to sound visceral, punching hard, opening up its grand soundstage, making instruments feel physical and tactile and enjoying it's huge dynamics the V280 will definitely shove the RME's amp aside.

May 8, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #310 of 1,098
After two days of non stop listening I can attest to the above.
The V280 is one of the best pairings I have ever experienced with HD800/s.
Highly recommended.

And if price is a problem I can assure that the v200 single ended amp is equally good with some loss in separation and soundstage as expected.

May 8, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #311 of 1,098
After two days of non stop listening I can attest to the above.
The V280 is one of the best pairings I have ever experienced with HD800/s.
Highly recommended.

And if price is a problem I can assure that the v200 single ended amp is equally good with some loss in separation and soundstage as expected.

I sold the V200 to finance my ADI-2..lol

May 8, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #313 of 1,098

Very happy with mine as well. Anyone with a Utopia or Z1R like this amp pairing?
Yes and yes!! V281/280 brings the best out of both these headphones. I’d argue they’re a better match for the amp even than the HD800/S, which I feel reach another level of performance with totl tube amps. I think folks who complain about the Utopia’s bass haven’t heard it with the V280/1. I think there are other solid state amps out there that can squeeze a teeny bit more detail and top end extension out of the Utopia but they probably lose the grip and heft the Violectric amps offer. And the Z1R is the king of the closed-backs (haven’t tried the Stellia tbh) and sounds fantastic—spacious and supple—from the V281.

May 8, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #314 of 1,098
Yes and yes!! V281/280 brings the best out of both these headphones. I’d argue they’re a better match for the amp even than the HD800/S, which I feel reach another level of performance with totl tube amps. I think folks who complain about the Utopia’s bass haven’t heard it with the V280/1. I think there are other solid state amps out there that can squeeze a teeny bit more detail and top end extension out of the Utopia but they probably lose the grip and heft the Violectric amps offer. And the Z1R is the king of the closed-backs (haven’t tried the Stellia tbh) and sounds fantastic—spacious and supple—from the V281.
Agree Bass from V280 is omnipotent, deep, strong, natural. Bass vs other amps is like Thanos with infinity stones vs Avengers...
Cant imagine how powerful Niimbus amp would sound. Im highly regretting that i selled v280 for more simple setup.

May 15, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #315 of 1,098
I have the same DAC and its amp section did surprise me. Very transparent with stunning clarity.

That said, going back & forth between it and the v280 just now I made some notes:
  • Compared to the RME amp, the Violectric shines in separation, dynamics, and just ease of presentation. Listen to a well recorded classical quartet and it's easier to pick out the separate instruments and feel the strength of the main violin playing while noticing a wider range of dynamics from the cello in the background.

• RME's amp tends to struggle here & there, and I notice myself cranking the volume to pretty much the max trying to hear something that seems muffled to my ears. It's like an important aspect of a song is buried beneath other frequencies that I want to move out of the way, if that makes sense.

• If you want to listen anything punchy such as EDM or pop, or test your cans with some sweet, ear-enveloping bass extensions, you pretty much need an amp here. You will definitely notice a difference with a beefy amp such as the v280 on the low end.
To be clear hooking up an expensive amp will not be complete night & day like some people will claim, but if you're into quality audio presentation (and chances are that you are since you're here) you will appreciate pairing the RME with a quality amp.

Man, I love string quartets.. darn hobby lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back