Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #632 of 1,098
V280 will not get a FE SKU because for now it's eternal as they can still build a good few.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #633 of 1,098
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #634 of 1,098
so is the v850 dac
I'm not sure the value is quite as good on the v850 DAC

Personally I'd rather buy something like Musical Fidelity MX DAC (which also supports DSD64/128 decoding) and spend the saved money on a dedicated preamp

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #635 of 1,098
A lot of people like the RME and for the price I think it's a tremendous value. It has tons of features, does DSD256 (including DSD direct) and PCM 768 and has a 5 band parametric EQ.

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #636 of 1,098
A lot of people like the RME and for the price I think it's a tremendous value. It has tons of features, does DSD256 (including DSD direct) and PCM 768 and has a 5 band parametric EQ.
Guess it depends if you are gonna use that stuff, but some of it isn't that useful imo

Practically most DSF files for download are DSD64, with the occasional DSD128. I havent actually seen dsd256 with mainstream content

Same goes for PCM 768, highest mainstream content is 192 and the value of that questionable itself over 24/96.

Something like sonarworks will probably be more helpful than 5 band parametric EQ

For me since none of that is really useful i'm more interested in the tone and function of the DAC with common formats PCM 24/192, dsd64-128. MX DAC covers these bases, and just gets out of the way with no fiddling required, also works good (all functions enabled) with default Microsoft drivers.

Some might like the tone of pcm1795 implementation over akm4493 implementation or more succinctly tone of one DAC over the other as well

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #637 of 1,098
Guess it depends if you are gonna use that stuff, but some of it isn't that useful imo

Practically most DSF files for download are DSD64, with the occasional DSD128. I havent actually seen dsd256 with mainstream content

Same goes for PCM 768, highest mainstream content is 192 and the value of that questionable itself

Something like sonarworks will probably be more helpful than 5 band parametric EQ

For me since none of that really useful in more interested in the tone and function of the DAC with common formats PCM 24/192, dsd64-128

Some might like the tone of pcm1795 implementation over akm4493 implementation or more succinctly tone of one DAC over the other.

You're right that DSD beyond SACD level is rare and so is high rate PCM. But they're not unheard of. I would rather have a somewhat future proof device so all things equal it makes sense to go with a device that is able to handle those files. I have heard recordings in PCM 352 and they are tremendous.

I don't want a software solution for EQ since that is bound to a platform like Windows whereas if the DAC handles EQ it is available for every type of input.

So yeah, it's a matter of taste and priorities :)

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #638 of 1,098
You're right that DSD beyond SACD level is rare and so is high rate PCM. But they're not unheard of. I would rather have a somewhat future proof device so all things equal it makes sense to go with a device that is able to handle those files. I have heard recordings in PCM 352 and they are tremendous.

I don't want a software solution for EQ since that is bound to a platform like Windows whereas if the DAC handles EQ it is available for every type of input.

So yeah, it's a matter of taste and priorities :)

Rme ain't future proof either without full MQA decoding. I personally don't support mqa tho, imo another way to sneak in DRM eventually and more licensing fees. PCM/DSD have it covered.

I've never seen anything above dsd128 other than test files from random artists. I actually tried to find dsd128 and could only find one album worth purchasing; in truth the majority of mainstream downloads/streaming are PCM 24/96 - PCM 24/192, DSD itself is kinda rare and even then DSD64 is what is overwhelmingly available. Even if dsd256 file was available the chances of being audibly different than dsd128 are basically nil; given same master it's hard enough to tell difference between 24/48 and 24/96 nevermind all these exotic super duper hires formats.

This is what made mx dac appealing, it's simple to use, all most important formats covered, sounds really good, under $1k, venerable pcm1795 DAC chip

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #639 of 1,098
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #641 of 1,098
Hello everyone! After slowly build up my headphone Arsenal again it’s time for something “endgame level” Got a pair of LCD-X and love them, placed amp order for a V280 from drop yesterday since the X and THX 789 don’t get along great IMO, now that just leaves the DAC. Full disclosure I’ve never been a big believer in DAC’s but I’ve never spent big $ on one I’m willing to try. My setup is as follows, PC-> Modius-> THX AAA 789 (V280 when it gets here)-> LCD-X. I exclusively use Tidal for music so I don’t need crazy file compatibility, or even MQA support (couldn’t tell enough difference between MQA and typical files), I just want some great sound. My current source and amp are playing the measurement game and come off very flat which can be a good thing for some, but I prefer a more musical authentic presentation. I see a LOT of people here using the RME ADI2 DAC and I’m considering it, or the Violectric V580 DAC since it’s on sale for 1099. Any advice or opinions would be great, I can’t wait to have my new amp in hand!

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #642 of 1,098
Hello everyone! After slowly build up my headphone Arsenal again it’s time for something “endgame level” Got a pair of LCD-X and love them, placed amp order for a V280 from drop yesterday since the X and THX 789 don’t get along great IMO, now that just leaves the DAC. Full disclosure I’ve never been a big believer in DAC’s but I’ve never spent big $ on one I’m willing to try. My setup is as follows, PC-> Modius-> THX AAA 789 (V280 when it gets here)-> LCD-X. I exclusively use Tidal for music so I don’t need crazy file compatibility, or even MQA support (couldn’t tell enough difference between MQA and typical files), I just want some great sound. My current source and amp are playing the measurement game and come off very flat which can be a good thing for some, but I prefer a more musical authentic presentation. I see a LOT of people here using the RME ADI2 DAC and I’m considering it, or the Violectric V580 DAC since it’s on sale for 1099. Any advice or opinions would be great, I can’t wait to have my new amp in hand!
You are using usb as a input?

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #643 of 1,098

Musical Fidelity MX-DAC... from the inventors of the outboard DAC :)
* Street price $749-$849
* Balanced XLR out
* Supports most popular download formats via USB; up to 24bit/192khz PCM & up to DSD128; no MQA but that is going to be a theme unless you want to overpay for a DAC
* Burr Brown PCM1795, traditionally a crowd pleaser
* Works great with Windows 10 Microsoft USB Class 2 audio drivers, no special drivers required to unlock all features of the DAC; also works with some USB output standalone streamers like Auralic
* Extremely simple to use, just works
* Best value if you want good sound quality and don't care to tinker with 1000 settings IMO
* Available in black and silver, industrial look, excellent build, very little footprint

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/reviews/hi-fi_choice_MX-DAC.pdf

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #644 of 1,098
V280 & LCD-X is a fantastic combo. First time I heard the V281 the founder of Violectric was demoing it with the LCD-X. You should be very happy! The RME dac is great but overpriced if you don’t plan on using all the features imo. Bifrost 2 would be a nice upgrade over the Modius and you could get some upgraded interconnects or a headphone cable with the savings. Or V850 makes a real nice stack of course. Not sure how the upsampling on that works with Tidal though.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #645 of 1,098
Wow thanks for the instant responses! To my knowledge tidal streams at 44.1/16bit in hifi, and if you don’t have a MQA DAC master quality is 88/24 or 96/24 so nothing too major is needed. I mostly listen to modern stuff anyways so 70-80% of my library is CD quality. What really jumped out to me about the RME is the EQ onboard, it’s always nice to be able to EQ a touch when the song or mood calls for it. The V850 is so darn nice looking combo and stack on my desk I’m definitely considering it. I haven’t heard of the MX-DAC but now I need to go research that too! I guess my real question is between those 3 are there really major sound differences, will I even notice a big step up from a modius? I’ve always gotten cheap DAC’s is because I’ve never thought a file decoder could impact sound that heavily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back