Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Jul 29, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #616 of 1,098
It's a bit more. 6db and you only use 2 amps inside.

How do you feel neglecting 2 amps, though? Are you sure you don't want me to call amp protection services?

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #617 of 1,098
It's a bit more. 6db and you only use 2 amps inside.

How do you feel neglecting 2 amps, though? Are you sure you don't want me to call amp protection services?

I find it heartbreaking and I would never do it. :D

Rest assured, my gear is connected with XLR cables and my drawers are full of spares. I was just suggesting SE for the guys who need that last bit of attentuation. For example, trying to run a pair of Fostex balanced off a V280/281 could result in headphone fires or head explosions.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #618 of 1,098
The TH-900 I used to own for a few years was actually 4-pin balanced. Could have been a game of death if I didn't know my amp as good as my pockets.

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #619 of 1,098
Hi,
Has anyone ever used the rca outs of the v280? I don't get their function (line out the xlr inputs signal?)

Cheers

Yes. I use it to buffer the input to my Valhalla 2. It is also a nice way to run two amps off one DAC. Props to Fried for another great and useful idea. I love this amp.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #620 of 1,098
Yes. I use it to buffer the input to my Valhalla 2. It is also a nice way to run two amps off one DAC. Props to Fried for another great and useful idea. I love this amp.
What is the advantage of running signal out from V280 vs straight out from dac ? You mentioned buffer. Are you referring to current or voltage ?

Am considering getting an OTL amp for some tube variety, so this will be an interesting insight.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #621 of 1,098
What is the advantage of running signal out from V280 vs straight out from dac ? You mentioned buffer. Are you referring to current or voltage ?

Am considering getting an OTL amp for some tube variety, so this will be an interesting insight.

Both my desktop DACs have RCA and XLR output which are active at the same time. My option was to use RCA for the OTL amp and XLR for the V280 or to use the buffered output feature of the V280. I asked Fried at Violectric which would be better because I didn't understand how much influence having both DAC outputs connected could have on sound quality because the company that made the OTL refused to tell me the input impedance of the amp . The answer I got from Fried was that it would be better to run the RCA inputs through the V280 and then into the OTL amp to protect the DAC from bizarre loads that could affect the sound. I don't mean to put words into Fried's mouth in case I didn't get some technical detail correct. But I did notice a distinction between Fried's knowledge and helpfulness as opposed to the company that made the OTL amp.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #622 of 1,098
Both my desktop DACs have RCA and XLR output which are active at the same time. My option was to use RCA for the OTL amp and XLR for the V280 or to use the buffered output feature of the V280. I asked Fried at Violectric which would be better because I didn't understand how much influence having both DAC outputs connected could have on sound quality because the company that made the OTL refused to tell me the input impedance of the amp . The answer I got from Fried was that it would be better to run the RCA inputs through the V280 and then into the OTL amp to protect the DAC from bizarre loads that could affect the sound. I don't mean to put words into Fried's mouth in case I didn't get some technical detail correct. But I did notice a distinction between Fried's knowledge and helpfulness as opposed to the company that made the OTL amp.
This is very helpful. It makes sense that I also use the buffered RCA output on the V280 for connection to any OTL amp/preamp. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #623 of 1,098
This is very helpful. It makes sense that I also use the buffered RCA output on the V280 for connection to any OTL amp/preamp. Thanks.

Don't forget you will need to have the V280 powered on when using this feature.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #624 of 1,098
@Empyah does the same for his EC Studio. Since the Yggdrasil only has one useful output via the XLRs, he uses the V281 to both power his planars and convert BAL to SE out.

He's just very lazy to post it because the music gets him off the keyboard everytime he attempts to type.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #625 of 1,098
LOL. I will :)
Like the V280 very much as it sounds great and is so versatile.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #626 of 1,098
Is it obvious when you open the case how to engage the rca to be outputs (for a noob like me)?

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #627 of 1,098
@Empyah does the same for his EC Studio. Since the Yggdrasil only has one useful output via the XLRs, he uses the V281 to both power his planars and convert BAL to SE out.

He's just very lazy to post it because the music gets him off the keyboard everytime he attempts to type.

Everything he said is 100% true. Except it's a Studio Junior and I use it for planars too.
I use the V281 eiter as a preamp for the Junior or just as a pass-through XLR to RCA converter, it does that in both cases of course and I am still on the fence about which of the two options sounds/seems better.
Benefits I am getting are the better XLR out of the Yggi, more gain and the option to use the V281's "uber" pot.

Besides being an excellent sounding, powerful headphone amp the V281 is true Baden-Würthenbergian Swiss knife of versatility and stands as an integral part of my system as such.

Due to popular request (by Fegefeuer) I even included my headphone "trees" on the pic. :)
20200802_171248_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #628 of 1,098
Is it obvious when you open the case how to engage the rca to be outputs (for a noob like me)?

It is. I recommend you the manual open and orient the picture so that it aligns with your amp. You take two jumpers, they're little plastic pieces with metal connectors inside, not visible from the top, and move them to the correct positions. There is a reasonable diagram of the parts in the manual, maybe even a photo. I can't remember and I don't have the amp with me here.

It's probably a good idea to stick some kind of label on the back of the amp so that you or whoever uses it is reminded they are now inputs rather than outputs.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #629 of 1,098
It is. I recommend you the manual open and orient the picture so that it aligns with your amp. You take two jumpers, they're little plastic pieces with metal connectors inside, not visible from the top, and move them to the correct positions. There is a reasonable diagram of the parts in the manual, maybe even a photo. I can't remember and I don't have the amp with me here.

It's probably a good idea to stick some kind of label on the back of the amp so that you or whoever uses it is reminded they are now inputs rather than outputs.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back