Violectric DHA V380 DAC/Amp/Pre-amp
Nov 13, 2020 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

Wyville

Headphoneus Supremus
Because I am getting a demo unit of the Violectric V380 to try out soon, kindly offered on loan to me by Dune Blue, the EU distributor for Violectric, I thought it would be interesting to start a dedicate thread.

From what I have seen so far it looks like the V380 is a less feature rich version of the V590, making it a more affordable option. Price: €2,199 / US$2,499.95

I will simply copy the info from the website here and if anyone has any additional information that would be useful to have collected in the OP, please let me know and I will edit.

Manufacturer link: Violectric
V380 brochure: PDF

VIOLECTRIC DHA V380

V380_2.jpg

The DHA V380 is a new top device in the Violectric range. It offers a state-of-the-art D/A converter and a balanced headphone amplifier and a pre-amp function. The D/A converter is a new development and includes a 32-bit resampler / reclocker and two 32-bit D/A converters per channel.

The latest findings from the multiple test winners from Lake People, Violectric and Niimbus were implemented in the headphone amplifier.

V380_3.jpg

DHA V380 not only offers a powerful headphone amplifier, but also:
- LOWEST NOISE through a very small amount of internal gain. This makes the amplifier's self-generated noise inaudible.
- HIGH OUTPUT VOLTAGE through 50 V internal operating voltage. Therefor ideally suited for high-impedance headphones deserving high output voltage swing.
- HIGH OUTPUT POWER thanks to powerful amplifiers that offer far more power even the most demanding headphones would need. So best suited for headphones with low impedances as well as magnetostatic headphones!!
- HIGH DAMPING FACTOR due to lowest output impedance. Therefor the ideal match for difficult to drive headphones without negative side effects and with the guarantee for an uncompromising frequency response.

It is on you:
D/A converter? Headphone amplifier? Pre-amplifier? Any combination ? The headphone outputs or the rear line outputs can be activated/deactivated by a switch on the front. Connect not only your headphones to the DHA V380 but also your power amplifier or your active speakers and enjoy a compact and fantastic sounding headphone amplifier with a State-of-the-art D/A converter and a premium preamplifier.

FEATURES
  • 2 analogue stereo inputs, unbalanced via RCA
  • 3 digital inputs, opto and coax with up to 24 bit and up to 192 kHz capability, USB with up to 32 bit and up to 384 kHz for PCM signals, DSD 64 - 512
  • 32 bit Resampling / Reclocking with 180 dB dynamic range, modes: On / Off / Best
  • 2 x 32 bit D/A converters per channel with -112 dB THD-N and 123 dB dynamic range
  • +/- 18 dB Pre-Gain for a perfect match of the DHA V380 between source and headphones
  • 4 powerful amps offering 5.000 mW Pmax into 50 Ohm and 21 V RMS into 600 Ohm
  • Headphone path and line-out path individually switchable
  • 2 balanced headphone output with 4-pin XLR, 2 single ended outputs with 6,3 mm jack
  • Line-out, stereo, 1 x unbalanced via RCA, 1 x balanced via XLR
  • 1 toroidal transformer, > 26.500 uF filter capacity
V380_1.jpg

V380_5.jpg

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 126
Because I am getting a demo unit of the Violectric V380 to try out soon, kindly offered on loan to me by Dune Blue, the EU distributor for Violectric, I thought it would be interesting to start a dedicate thread.

From what I have seen so far it looks like the V380 is a less feature rich version of the V590, making it a more affordable option. Price: €2,199 / US$2,499.95

I look forward to reading your thoughts, especially if you can compare it to the V281 FE (with the DAC). I'm looking for a decent DAC/headphone amp, which will also take the output of my other DAC and just act as a headphone amp too. Have tried the RME ATI-2 but whilst good it wasn't great - better than the DX3 Pro but not suffucuentlky better to keep. Was going for the V281 but with this coming out am interested as to how they both compare. I am hoping it's the same sound signature, with a better quality DAC..... in which case it'll do me nicely.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 126
I look forward to reading your thoughts, especially if you can compare it to the V281 FE (with the DAC). I'm looking for a decent DAC/headphone amp, which will also take the output of my other DAC and just act as a headphone amp too. Have tried the RME ATI-2 but whilst good it wasn't great - better than the DX3 Pro but not suffucuentlky better to keep. Was going for the V281 but with this coming out am interested as to how they both compare. I am hoping it's the same sound signature, with a better quality DAC..... in which case it'll do me nicely.
Unfortunately I can't compare to the V281 FE, as I am just moving from portable into desktop gear. However, on paper it looks like at its core the V380 is very similar to the V590, so perhaps @project86's recent review will give you some idea of what the V380 might sound like, as he has compared the V281 amp with that of the V590. For the DAC section it seems it is unlike add-on DACs and on par with quality external DACs. That is, if I may take the liberty of extrapolating that review to the V380.

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 126
Unfortunately I can't compare to the V281 FE, as I am just moving from portable into desktop gear. However, on paper it looks like at its core the V380 is very similar to the V590, so perhaps @project86's recent review will give you some idea of what the V380 might sound like, as he has compared the V281 amp with that of the V590. For the DAC section it seems it is unlike add-on DACs and on par with quality external DACs. That is, if I may take the liberty of extrapolating that review to the V380.
thanks - had seen that but re-read it. If the V380 has fewer inputs but sounds the same then it's a sweet device, for sure. May have to trial one, unless someone wants to loan me one for a review on another forum :)

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 126
Odd they didn't call this V381. I wonder if there will be an upgrade to the V280 (not that it needs one).

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 126
Why should it be called V381? This is a DHA device not a HPA. The HPA V281 successor is the amp part of the DHA V590.
The HPA V280 successor or upgrade is the amp part of the DHA V380. :slight_smile:

The standalone amps will be called HPA V5XX and V3XX with XX in the naming scheme of course being placeholders for now.

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 126
Why should it be called V381? This is a DHA device not a HPA. The HPA V281 successor is the amp part of the DHA V590.
The HPA V280 successor or upgrade is the amp part of the DHA V380. :slight_smile:

The standalone amps will be called HPA V5XX and V3XX with XX in the naming scheme of course being placeholders for now.
Because the V281 could be configured as a DACAMP and the V280 could not.

So my comment is not about parts but rather function. In other words, what should be the expected name for the successor of the V280?

But probably the main reason I said it is because downthread we're already calling it V380 instead of DHA V380 :p

Confusing, yes?

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 126
thanks - had seen that but re-read it. If the V380 has fewer inputs but sounds the same then it's a sweet device, for sure. May have to trial one, unless someone wants to loan me one for a review on another forum :)
On paper there are some, but not many differences, such as the V590 having a Femto clock and 2 toroidal transformers. Not sure how much those might effect the sound (like I said, I am new to desktop gear). Mostly though it seems the differences are found in things like balanced in, line out gain settings, more settings for the resampling, motorised volume control and a remote, which make the V590 more versatile than the V380 and it will depend on personal use and budget if it is worth the extra €1,000.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 126
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 126
wow can u give initial impressions and if you can compare it to some other amps or amp/dacs
Fingers crossed I’m getting a demo unit in next week. Don’t have much to compare to other than an entry level Topping stack (E30/L30), but I will share my thoughts as best I can.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 126
I'm listening this combo from November.
My concern was about the Violectric attitude to drive the HEK but, just turned on, the result was gorgeous.
I have also an OTL amp (very well built with excellent tubes - 5998 and ECC88) with an HD800.

The Violectric DAC/Amp, IMHO, is really an improvement respect V281. It sounds natural, without coloring. The combo with the Hifiman can be listened for many hours without listening fatigue.
The internal DAC performs adequately without emphasis. Bass and midbass are fast and clean. Voices are natural, never compressed. Hi frequencies are natural, vivid without any roll off.

I think that this combo is an excellent system at an acceptable price. Of course you can find better things but i don't think at this price.
Carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back