vinyl rip vs cd
Nov 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #256 of 335

This needs to be answered before we go any further with off-topic discussions about RAID.

Will be. Half finished in Word. I realize  it is important and I want to make it right.

Sorry about the RAID derail - but I wanted to showcase what DSD looks like in practice and I have to somehow/anyhow put this RAID together by Saturday - or else I will have nowhere to backup recordings from coming weekend. Loooong story - but it came so that it has to be made NOW.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #257 of 335

I was going to say that too, but the crickets were too loud.

Honestly after about 6 pages I felt this thread should have ended :/ but it is some how still lingering on! I mean I did enjoy reading it but, it's getting a little silly seeing the OMG VINYL RULES guys get destroyed by SCIENCE over and over and over again... so I am to blame for the RAID derailment! 

Will be. Half finished in Word. I realize  it is important and I want to make it right.

Sorry about the RAID derail - but I wanted to showcase what DSD looks like in practice and I have to somehow/anyhow put this RAID together by Saturday - or else I will have nowhere to backup recordings from coming weekend. Loooong story - but it came so that it has to be made NOW.

Hope it works out for you! 

On a related note, I helped a friend of mine convert all his old Vinyl to Digital Rips! He was pleasently suprised... although he was using some rather low end Recording gear! Still he was sufficently pleased! 

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #258 of 335
  Honestly after about 6 pages I felt this thread should have ended :/ but it is some how still lingering on! I mean I did enjoy reading it but, it's getting a little silly seeing the OMG VINYL RULES guys get destroyed by SCIENCE over and over and over again... so I am to blame for the RAID derailment! 

Hope it works out for you! 

On a related note, I helped a friend of mine convert all his old Vinyl to Digital Rips! He was pleasently suprised... although he was using some rather low end Recording gear! Still he was sufficently pleased! 

Typing...NOT over till the fat lady sings.

Those DSD recordings linked by brunk could not have come at a better time 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #259 of 335
Remember the question!

What exactly is it in DSD recordings that makes them clearly superior to redbook when played on your three inch speakers?

It doesn't really require an essay to answer that.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #260 of 335
  Remember the question!

What exactly is it in DSD recordings that makes them clearly superior to redbook when played on your three inch speakers?

It doesn't really require an essay to answer that.

Indeed it doesnt but here we are at 18 pages :/ 

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #261 of 335
  Typing...NOT over till the fat lady sings.

Those DSD recordings linked by brunk could not have come at a better time 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

I must've A/B'ed the 24/96 and DSD128 30 times to verify what I was hearing.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #262 of 335
Didn't you notice that the two samples weren't even the same mix/recording?

What do I notice? The additional violins/strings are perceptible a full second earlier on the DSD128 than the 24/96.

That doesn't seem like it's the same mix to me. Can someone take the DSD and bounce it down to redbook with the proper dither. Observations like this one make me smell a rodent.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #264 of 335

That doesn't seem like it's the same mix to me. Can someone take the DSD and bounce it down to redbook with the proper dither. Observations like this one make me smell a rodent.

Yeah I had to double check that myself, and it is indeed the same mix. Sorry, but the answer isn't that simple. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #265 of 335
  Didn't you notice that the two samples weren't even the same mix/recording?

What do I notice? The additional violins/strings are perceptible a full second earlier on the DSD128 than the 24/96.

You can do it yourself, so that you can exclude any fishy bussiness. http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/download.html This soft is *free* ( you will have to tweet on Tweeter if you do not own Korg MR series product ), there are different dithering options available during Export as they call what you call bouncing. There are other softs, but are not free, Weiss Saracen will set you back whopping 4K or so - and REMOVE anything above 30 kHz. NO, THANK YOU WEISS !

Now, a question you can answer YES or NO - do you have NATIVE DSD playback capability WITHOUT conversion to PCM of any kind ? 

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #266 of 335
Try bouncing it down to redbook, Brunk. Differences in mixes can be subtle. Every single SACD I've ever heard (except for Pentatone) has ever so slightly different mastering on the redbook layer than on the SACD layer. Odiferous rodents abound.

I don't have native DSD playback. That's why I'm asking him to do it.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #268 of 335
There you go, we'll let Tus-Chan do it since he's a third party here. Surely he would find a mistake that I didn't.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #269 of 335
  I'll do it at some point myself, since I have the skills in Adobe Audition to compare the two mixes very, very carefully.

Good point! 

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #270 of 335
There is literally zero difference between the original 24bit-96kHz file and the PCM version of the DSD128 file except for what appears to be a huge amount of ultrasonic noise in the recording.

This probably causes lots of distortion on basically anything you could play it back on, because that's a pretty strong signal (compare it to the signal strength at 4kHz). I'll pass on that fancy high-res download, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back