vinyl rip vs cd
Jul 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #331 of 335
Quote:
...it's pointless.

I'm not "on his side", but what he said in that post seems to at least possibly make sense if it were backed with anything objective. Are you saying that it's pointless to try to point out that his anecdotes don't mean anything? (Just making sure I understand is all)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love some advice on getting a proper vinyl transfer. I was considering getting the $1800 PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, but after the Roland that bigshot posted, it seems like it may simply be a victim of a hi-fi tax and not that much money is actually necessary to get a proper vinyl transfer. With that being said:

There's no indication, whatsoever, that your work was completely faithful to the original LP. It's as simple as that.

...so I really have nothing to go on at this point. Could someone tell me why the NuWave ADC is or isn't a good choice and point me at other options if applicable?

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #332 of 335
Quote:

I'm not "on his side", but what he said in that post seems to at least possibly make sense if it were backed with anything objective. Are you saying that it's pointless to try to point out that his anecdotes don't mean anything? (Just making sure I understand is all)
[...]

I don't even remember what it was all about and I'm not about to take the time to read the thread in hopes of refreshing my recollection. We've all moved on....

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #334 of 335
I think the synergy of all the pieces of equipment and tweaks will always come in to play. Some lp's will shine on a system where others won't. Same with cd's. Many variables. If I have something only on vinyl and not digitized, and I want to take it with me, I just make a copy of it. Just like I did onto cassettes when I was a kid.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #335 of 335
In a later post I put the artist and album. That graph is from the song "Fade To Black" from the album Ride the Lightning by Metallica.

You can download the vinyl flac here: http://kickass.to/metallica-7-albums-vinyl-collection-1983-1997-24-192-flac-t7238737.html (you could pick any song off that album and get similar plot spectrums).

I ripped the other song from my CD, but I think you can download the same version here (needs checking) http://kickass.to/metallica-ride-the-lightning-flac-tntvillage-t3406701.html

But I don't expect you'll bother to look and listen yourself
wink_face.gif

It can't be surface noise, because the rip sounds very very crisp & clean. The fundamentals of the "noise" would be very loud and make the song unlistenable.
Like I said, the graph reflects exactly what I'm hearing through my studio monitors. And headphones. And hifi system.
Although this thread is rather old, here is what I conclude after comparing "Fade To Black":

1. from the DCC 2000 CD (mastering Steve Hoffman) DR9
2. from a European 1989 CD DR12
3. from a 1st US LP pressing in 24bit-96kHz DR12

The LP sounds rather thin, laid back, quieter in comparison to the European CD,
which has more "punch" and a bit more bass.
Here the DCC version would be my favorite. It sounds different (different mastering, different mastering gear, tube
reproducer) than the other CD or the LP version. But nevertheless it is pleasing to my ears.

But in conclusion one could live with either version, they all sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back