vinyl rip vs cd
Nov 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #241 of 335
  What happened here? It got quiet all of a sudden.

Only proving I am human. It was like 01:00 AM here at the time of my last post, humans tend to sleep every so while, woke up, this is the first action after ...

I was actually looking for a similar image of Gerfield still semi awake in his bed, caption reading 

Some people have no understanding for slow raisers

but the above echoes my feelings at a time even beter. I need a good cup of tea and something to bite - your question demands more attention than I am either willing or able to commit at this very moment.

BUT it is the fundamental reason  why I find redbook inadequate and good analog or hirez more to my liking as being capable of sound reproduction approaching the quality of sound heard live.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #242 of 335

I'd be tempted to download some of those high res tracks , but 338MB for a 10 minute FLAC track.. holy *&()^%$%**** % @!! 

I record in DSD. At first I was using Korg MR1 , capable of recording in DSD64 or DSD at 2.8yxz MHz. Now I record with MR1000 in DSD128 or DSD at 5.6xyz MHz. 

1GB = 22 minutes DSD64 audio
1GB = 11 minutes DSD128 audio

A typical recording session amounts to about 15 GB. If there is a large(r) project and I record both recording meant for speakers as well as binaural, 
meaning I am running two DSD recorders in DSD128, after all is said and done, total can exceed 50 GB - per day...

In the afternoon I am visiting my computer guru to set up a RAID5 enclosure with 5 pieces of 2TB hard disk drives, which will give me 8TB of capacity with the very minimum redundancy and safety I am still *somehow* comfortable with. I do not want to mess something up, I want to transfer my backups to this RAID5 setup bit perfect - just under 2TB of my own master recordings I certainly do not want to go to waste. This will take a while...

So - here you have the answer. If you plan to go DSD route (or any other hirez) - HDD manufacturers are looking forward to you. And please reserve your comments SSD are better than HDD . Yes, they are - just simply not cost effective with this amount of data at the present time.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #243 of 335
  I record in DSD. At first I was using Korg MR1 , capable of recording in DSD64 or DSD at 2.8yxz MHz. Now I record with MR1000 in DSD128 or DSD at 5.6xyz MHz. 

A typical recording session amounts to about 15 GB. If there is a large(r) project and I record both recording meant for speakers as well as binaural, 
meaning I am running two DSD recorders in DSD128, after all is said and done, total can exceed 50 GB - per day...

In the afternoon I am visiting my computer guru to set up a RAID5 enclosure with 5 pieces of 2TB hard disk drives, which will give me 8TB of capacity with the very minimum redundancy and safety I am still *somehow* comfortable with. I do not want to mess something up, I want to transfer my backups to this RAID5 setup bit perfect - just under 2TB of my own master recordings I certainly do not want to go to waste. This will take a while...

So - here you have the answer. If you plan to go DSD route (or any other hirez) - HDD manufacturers are looking forward to you. And please reserve your comments SSD are better than HDD . Yes, they are - just simply not cost effective with this amount of data at the present time.

Wow very nice!

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #244 of 335

there is also the matter if data cycles with tlc sdd. Meaning if ur editing and saving a msater multiple times
a day. At upwards of 10gb a master ur going to literally destroy the celluar structure of a triple cell layer sdd. The larger sdd use tcl to achieve a high capacity but they in turn have lower overwrite cycles. Than even scl sdd n traditionql magnectic storage. Also raid 5 should increase ur load n save speeds depending on the controller ur using.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #245 of 335
there is also the matter if data cycles with tlc sdd. Meaning if ur editing and saving a msater multiple times
a day. At upwards of 10gb a master ur going to literally destroy the celluar structure of a triple cell layer sdd. The larger sdd use tcl to achieve a high capacity but they in turn have lower overwrite cycles. Than even scl sdd n traditionql magnectic storage. Also raid 5 should increase ur load n save speeds depending on the controller ur using.

Good post - thanks. Meaning I will have to stick  with HDDs longer than I anticipated. I have not yet investigated in SSD as I should; the simple cost disadvantage vs HDD was deterrent enough.

Speed is not that much of a concern - that RAID5 - or whatever else. like RAID10 or RAID 6+1 , etc, I might opt for in the future, is storage only, not meant to be used daily for listening, editing etc. I will use other HDDs of less capacity for that, do not want to jeopardize masters for pleasure.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #246 of 335
  Good post - thanks. Meaning I will have to stick  with HDDs longer than I anticipated. I have not yet investigated in SSD as I should; the simple cost disadvantage vs HDD was deterrent enough.

Speed is not that much of a concern - that RAID5 - or whatever else. like RAID10 or RAID 6+1 , etc, I might opt for in the future, is storage only, not meant to be used daily for listening, editing etc. I will use other HDDs of less capacity for that, do not want to jeopardize masters for pleasure.

No  problem, I find reaserach interesting. And I plan to do a Raid 5 with 4 128gb SDDS my self in the future for program use. and MAYBE a Raid 0 for my normal storage.

Either way It might be cheaper to stick with Raid 1. Theoretically it can be faster as you should be able to acess "more parts of the whole at one time" but ofc you don't need a controller for a Raid 1 set up, well other than what ever comes on your Mother Board. I've heard Raid 5 Controllers [the ones worth having] can cost a decent amount. Although you'd get more storage out of a Raid 5 setup,  

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #247 of 335
  No  problem, I find reaserach interesting. And I plan to do a Raid 5 with 4 128gb SDDS my self in the future for program use. and MAYBE a Raid 0 for my normal storage.

Either way It might be cheaper to stick with Raid 1. Theoretically it can be faster as you should be able to acess "more parts of the whole at one time" but ofc you don't need a controller for a Raid 1 set up, well other than what ever comes on your Mother Board. I've heard Raid 5 Controllers [the ones worth having] can cost a decent amount. Although you'd get more storage out of a Raid 5 setup,  

I know the tradeoffs, in any case I will still have RAID1 with 2 1TB HDDs for "everyday use" like listening, editing etc. I am also curious how much slower will be my implementation of RAID5 with hardware at hand. But safekeeping of masters is the prime objective - as long as my RAID5 will be at least menageably fast/slow, OK with me.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #248 of 335
  I know the tradeoffs, in any case I will still have RAID1 with 2 1TB HDDs for "everyday use" like listening, editing etc. I am also curious how much slower will be my implementation of RAID5 with hardware at hand. But safekeeping of masters is the prime objective - as long as my RAID5 will be at least menageably fast/slow, OK with me.

Oh RAID 5 should be as fast or faster than RAID 1 honestly...  and even if it's not "faster"there is the redundancey 

I would think again the best method with the hardware on hand would be Raid 1 oh Raid 0 is stripped, Raid 1 is Mirrored, meaning 2 copies of everything.
Still the speed of RAID 5 is dependent on the hardware or software controller for it, I've not reaserached any of that atm :/ BUT I will be very soon. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #249 of 335

I have had this RAID controller for atleast 2 years now with SSD Key and BBU. It has been rock solid, and the only errors I've had is coming from the user 
redface.gif
 I've also had power disabled from the array for several months, without a hiccup.

http://www.lsi.com/products/raid-controllers/pages/megaraid-sas-9280-16i4e.aspx

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #250 of 335
What precisely is the difference in sound that you can hear between redbook and DSD? It isn't dynamic range, because a three inch speaker is going to be in shreds long before it reaches the edge of redbook. It isn't extended frequency response, because this speaker can't even do 20 to 20. What exactly are you hearing?  
(By the way, soundstage is a function of how the speaker interacts with your room acoustics. The bitrate of the audio has absolutely nothing to do with it.)

This needs to be answered before we go any further with off-topic discussions about RAID.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #251 of 335

This needs to be answered before we go any further with off-topic discussions about RAID.

Here's one thing that I personally notice. I dont know what it's a product of, but I will explain it simple as i can.

Download the DSD128 and 24/96 track from this link. non-binaural versions.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/688208/new-binaural-dsd128-album-and-kickstarter-128dsd-native-resolution-a-far-cry-chamber-orchestra

play both back for 10 seconds. What do I notice? The additional violins/strings are perceptible a full second earlier on the DSD128 than the 24/96. Right inside 4-5 seconds mark for DSD, and 5-6 seconds mark for 24/96. It sounds as if the 24/96 is a little more laid back. I don't have an explanation for that, I'm sure someone does.

Do you find any difference within the first 10 seconds?

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #252 of 335

Sorry I'm a techie can't help but chat about PC <.< 

Here's one thing that I personally notice. I dont know what it's a product of, but I will explain it simple as i can.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/688208/new-binaural-dsd128-album-and-kickstarter-128dsd-native-resolution-a-far-cry-chamber-orchestra

play both back for 10 seconds. What do I notice? The additional violins/strings are perceptible a full second earlier on the DSD128 than the 24/96. Right inside 4-5 seconds mark for DSD, and 5-6 seconds mark for 24/96. It sounds as if the 24/96 is a little more laid back. I don't have an explanation for that, I'm sure someone does.

wish my DAC had DSD support :x 

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #253 of 335
A sound mixer friend of mine and I did a line level matched direct A/B comparison between a DSD recorded Pentatone SACD and the redbook layer of the same SACD. On my system and on my friend's calibrated system there was absolutely no audible difference whatsoever.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #254 of 335

Thank you for this post. Downloading samples now - but I am in the middle of the RAIDing and will listen tomorrow. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #255 of 335

I was going to say that too, but the crickets were too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back