vinyl rip vs cd
Nov 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #286 of 335
  Yes this is true, but has been proven to not be the case in this sceanario. Thus, it is either psycho-acoustics at play, or some inherent advantage in DSD. That's the rub.

Did you match the line level?

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #287 of 335
  You keep saying this and that is better than those and these, but you haven't given anyone any information as to how or why DSD is better

Or even what the difference is... If it's audible on a three inch speaker, it's got to be a huge difference, and it can't have anything to do with the frequency extension or lower noise floor. It has to be something within the core frequencies. I don't know what that could be other than some sort of euphonic distortion extending down from the noise in the super audible frequencies. It's very likely a reaction between the super high frequency noise and the speakers that is peculiar to that rig.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #288 of 335
Nov 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #289 of 335
  Yes, of course.

... I swear I've said this like a thousands times today... not sure why but

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN 

thanks in advance <3 

also I should mention I am TOTALLY into the 24bit PURELY because I've trained my BRAIN to BELIEVE it is better... not really but it's like a ... I dunno you spend the extra hard drive space, so you kinda feel obligated to enjoy it more... and I usually only go 24bit out of respect for the dead and/or OMG EPIC but still dead artists recordings! That said... I might have to snatch up some DSD of at least ONE of my all time FAVORITE dead ... person's? [no idea what to call these no longer living makes of sweet music] anyways ways... I need some DSD Nujabes! Pronto! 

Oh yea and pics of brunk and his line level 

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #290 of 335
Pics or it didn't happen for a line level? 
blink.gif

Do you want an audiologist report too? 
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #292 of 335
Just decided to abandon CDs. I am not even close to understand all the technical discussions u guys have here. I used my ears. Maybe it is just me, maybe not just me. Vinyl rips gave me wow factor that sacd cannot.

It is like magic, this fluent flow of passionate and natural music finally freed me from searching for better formats along the path of flac, aiff, dsd...It also freed my headphones T1 then we can concentrate on what really matters - music.

Close my eyes, music starts, nothing else matters :)

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #293 of 335
What are you ripping to?

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #294 of 335
Just decided to abandon CDs. I am not even close to understand all the technical discussions u guys have here. I used my ears. Maybe it is just me, maybe not just me. Vinyl rips gave me wow factor that sacd cannot.

It is like magic, this fluent flow of passionate and natural music finally freed me from searching for better formats along the path of flac, aiff, dsd...It also freed my headphones T1 then we can concentrate on what really matters - music.

Close my eyes, music starts, nothing else matters
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going the same route with vinyl,just picked up a decent turntable to get going. I've stopped buying CD's as I'm just sick of how poorly mastered modern mainstream music has become on CD. I'm sure other genres are mastered better, but I  still want to listen to music that excites me.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #295 of 335
  I record in DSD. At first I was using Korg MR1 , capable of recording in DSD64 or DSD at 2.8yxz MHz. Now I record with MR1000 in DSD128 or DSD at 5.6xyz MHz. 

1GB = 22 minutes DSD64 audio
1GB = 11 minutes DSD128 audio

A typical recording session amounts to about 15 GB. If there is a large(r) project and I record both recording meant for speakers as well as binaural, 
meaning I am running two DSD recorders in DSD128, after all is said and done, total can exceed 50 GB - per day...

In the afternoon I am visiting my computer guru to set up a RAID5 enclosure with 5 pieces of 2TB hard disk drives, which will give me 8TB of capacity with the very minimum redundancy and safety I am still *somehow* comfortable with. I do not want to mess something up, I want to transfer my backups to this RAID5 setup bit perfect - just under 2TB of my own master recordings I certainly do not want to go to waste. This will take a while...

So - here you have the answer. If you plan to go DSD route (or any other hirez) - HDD manufacturers are looking forward to you. And please reserve your comments SSD are better than HDD . Yes, they are - just simply not cost effective with this amount of data at the present time.

I've added a PS Audio NuWave phono and have started messing around record drops at DSD64, there is some issue (firmware) doing DSD128. Have you been converting down to any PCM, or just keeping everything DSD, and un-edited.

I'm thinking about keeping DSD128 for myself, but also more portable 24/96 or 24/192 copy. Thanks for any input!

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #296 of 335

I've added a PS Audio NuWave phono and have started messing around record drops at DSD64, there is some issue (firmware) doing DSD128. Have you been converting down to any PCM, or just keeping everything DSD, and un-edited.

I'm thinking about keeping DSD128 for myself, but also more portable 24/96 or 24/192 copy. Thanks for any input!

We have a saying: In dire straits, devil eats flies. That is how I feel about PCMing DSD - but yes, in case native DSD playback is not available, I would use Korg Audiogate software and convert DSD down to anything required. For personal use, it is DSD 128 ( and earlier DSD64 made with Korg MR1 ) and un-edited.

I think that ifi audio nano iDSD portable DSD DAC http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-announced

solves all portability issues with DSD - save the limit of (mostly at present ) 64 GB memory card in smartphones that can work with it.

BTW - DSD64 file "downconverted" to PCM 192/24 will be BIGGER in size...( but smaller than DSD128) - so it might be better idea to downconvert DSD128 to DSD64 for portable use because of storage limitations - in case native DSD playback is available on your portable device.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #297 of 335
Necromancy, but this is basically the nail in the coffin that DSD and PCM are basically the exact same thing, except represented in a different fashion. I told you so. Insert smug face here.

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=2674

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #299 of 335
Is there a wide range of VST plugins for DSD? Signal processing is going to make a lot more difference to LP transfers than the bit/sampling rate. An LP is something like 12/34 or so. The only content beyond that is noise and distortion. If your levels are set to avoid clipping it should fit neatly within 16/44.1... And you'd have a wide range of plugins to choose from to make the sound even better than the original LP.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #300 of 335
... here a DSD64 LP rip, let me know how you liked it...

Wow, that sounds good to me! I can hear the vinyl cracks/pops. : p

I used a 32:1 decimation via XLD on Mac and took a look at the spectrogram in SoX.

8:1 decimation

I dunno if it's of any use, but I just like doing it for the fun of it. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back