Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #736 of 2,710
Where do you feel your system could use some “facelift”?

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #738 of 2,710
Just the listener … 😬
There’s nothing I can identify as a “weakest link”, nice to look at all the esoteric stuff around but I’ve reached the point in hardware where the J curve starts to go vertical, more than content just buying more music …. 😃
That’s good to hear.
A bit of a rarity among us audiophiles. So, that makes two of us. Not enough to start giving out membership cards but it’s a start. Lol

Well, not to be completely oblivious to making some improvements. My listening room needs some work. And some ergonomics need to be sorted out as far as component placement and easy access. But gear wise? Nope, I am good.

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #739 of 2,710
There’s always an avenue for tweaks and subtle improvements for little or no money, just need to do one at a time with extended listening, different ?
Yes ?
Next question, better or worse ? Lol
Lots to be had from component isolation, room acoustics etc but sometimes they can go too far, in speaker building talk things are either over damped, under damped or critically damped, the good thing about any fine tuning is it’s done by you, for you in your listening room, the added bonus of doing things one at time over several days is you get to listen to more and more music …😃

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #740 of 2,710
There’s always an avenue for tweaks and subtle improvements for little or no money, just need to do one at a time with extended listening, different ?
Yes ?
Next question, better or worse ? Lol
Lots to be had from component isolation, room acoustics etc but sometimes they can go too far, in speaker building talk things are either over damped, under damped or critically damped, the good thing about any fine tuning is it’s done by you, for you in your listening room, the added bonus of doing things one at time over several days is you get to listen to more and more music …😃
True, true.
Back in the days, often times I felt the “need” to change things up due to fatigue caused by sameness. And surprisingly, more often then not, it wasn’t for the better.
To be perfectly honest, I had a perfect system that could easily retire my silly audiophile chase a good decade ago.
Also,..
When I say a perfect system, I am referring to fundamentals. Meaning, speakers > amplifier(s) > preamplifier/linestage I’m purposefully omitting source(s) components because for one, digital is kind of moving and evolving target and two, vinyl was a bit on the back burner back then.
Since then, I probably went through 5 or 6 different speakers, 5 preamps, several integrated amps and DACs. Yet, I could not better or at least replicate the system that stock in my mind and which I truly enjoyed at the time. So yes, we should be careful about choices we make, because it can get costly. And in worst case scenario, suck the joy out enjoying music and hobby itself.

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #741 of 2,710
I gave up on buying cables long ago. Phono to preamp cable purchase, I might consider. Just for peace of mind.

Inspected long forgotten Dynavector 17D2 and 17D3. D2 might just need a new styli. D3 I’m not really sure about. It’s possible that cantilever broke off at the point where styli was mounted. But I can’t really tell. Thinking about sending them both to Soundsmith. Appears that wait time is almost back to normal.

Funny I have a Dynavector 10x5, 17D2 and D3 all dead also. I should probably do something with them.

After over a decade with Dynavector (which I've been perfectly happy with), I ended up taking a chance on Audio Technica ART9XA with no idea about it other than online impressions. It has surpassed my expectations. I was hoping it would at least get close to the Dyna, and I was blown away by how good it was when first trying it. I prefer it to the 17D3.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #742 of 2,710
I would be pretty stuck up if I wouldn't be satisfied with my current system. I was also pleased with it before I recently upgraded my turntable. I will probably not like selling the old one. Like parting with a dear friend. It still is very good. But this is just simply better. The mono is not really and upgrade since I never had a mono setup, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable extra.

I can also switch between gear that I can all really enjoy. Like dacs (R2R), a few tubeamps (all SE), a translinear amp, digital amps, several speakers (all with a few common denominators like fast tweeters, good filter caps, direct coupled fast fullrange bass/mid) as long as the Genesis can do sub-bass. Some are better, some have distinct qualities. But they all combine and work well together. It's all based on minimalism but not dogmatic. I can be happy with any of them.

What I'm also happy with is what I found in my 'recent buy' stash (recent means not yet cleaned but might cover 5 years). Some really nice music on top labels. (that Igor Oistrakh would be very expensive in stereo. As in over 500-1000!)
IMG_20211222_225820.jpg

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #744 of 2,710
Funny I have a Dynavector 10x5, 17D2 and D3 all dead also. I should probably do something with them.

After over a decade with Dynavector (which I've been perfectly happy with), I ended up taking a chance on Audio Technica ART9XA with no idea about it other than online impressions. It has surpassed my expectations. I was hoping it would at least get close to the Dyna, and I was blown away by how good it was when first trying it. I prefer it to the 17D3.
Interesting. Re-tipping both of my Dynas would cost $600 and if one would need more work? That would get closer to 1K. I assume 1K could get me a decent MC?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #745 of 2,710
I would be pretty stuck up if I wouldn't be satisfied with my current system. I was also pleased with it before I recently upgraded my turntable. I will probably not like selling the old one. Like parting with a dear friend. It still is very good. But this is just simply better. The mono is not really and upgrade since I never had a mono setup, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable extra.

I can also switch between gear that I can all really enjoy. Like dacs (R2R), a few tubeamps (all SE), a translinear amp, digital amps, several speakers (all with a few common denominators like fast tweeters, good filter caps, direct coupled fast fullrange bass/mid) as long as the Genesis can do sub-bass. Some are better, some have distinct qualities. But they all combine and work well together. It's all based on minimalism but not dogmatic. I can be happy with any of them.

What I'm also happy with is what I found in my 'recent buy' stash (recent means not yet cleaned but might cover 5 years). Some really nice music on top labels. (that Igor Oistrakh would be very expensive in stereo. As in over 500-1000!)IMG_20211222_225820.jpg
Very nice. One day I’ll post some of my basement stash and hopefully, you guys can help me sort through it.

And I surely got some extra gear if I was n need of some variety. Unfortunately, I got no extra room to play with that surplus gear nor energy to move things around. I’m perfectly happy with my current setup. Which is here to stay for a looong time.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #746 of 2,710
Also looking for extra headshells for SME 3009 tonearm. Any suggestions?

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #748 of 2,710
Dec 22, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #749 of 2,710
After a quick search it appears that they’re interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back