Vintage Video Game Consoles
Feb 8, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Not now. The emulator (mame) is incredibly stable and works wonderfully. Nothing beats playing these arcade games and thank god for the people who hack them and make them into roms so they will never be forgotten.

Care to point me to some websites?

Feb 8, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 49
I still remember when the guy across the street got a pong game and all the kids in the neighborhood used to congregate over there and hope for a turn! Then came brick-out and that was just totally bad *****.

Feb 8, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 49
I have had:

Nintendo SNES
Nintendo Gameboy
Nintendo Gameboy Pocket (Silver)
Nintendo Gameboy Colour (Purple)
Nintendo Gameboy Advanced (White)
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2
Sega Dreamcast
Microsoft XBox (still have)

Also:

Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga 500
Commodore Amiga 1200 (still have)

And a load of different PC's that have run games...

The Dreamcast, Amiga 1200 and XBox were my favorites!

Feb 8, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 49
I remember when Pong came out, and being fascinated with it. I bought many of the hand held games before the game systems came out, Coleco Football being a favorite, along with a changeable cartridge game I can't remember the name of.

Later came Pong, then Intellivision, Atari 2600, 5200, NES, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega Saturn, then went to PC and Voodoo3. Daughter took over NES, SNES, Playstation, Nintendo64 and Gamecube, with hundreds of games along the way.

Probably my favorite game was for Genesis, a pinball game that you could design and save your own tables, sweeeeet...

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Not now. The emulator (mame) is incredibly stable and works wonderfully. Nothing beats playing these arcade games and thank god for the people who hack them and make them into roms so they will never be forgotten.

Agreed, I have a few of them loaded on my laptop and home pc and runs pretty stable. Having a great time playing Moon Cresta, Crazy Climber, Rampage, etc...

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #21 of 49
do the ROMs still run in DOS or have they finally have a windows version ?

Nevermind,i'll just check it out myself........
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 49
roms work in windows. i havent played them since i moved from '98 to xp, but on my old comp both mame and kallera worked awesome for all the old school games - they updated everything up to, hmm, capcom vs. SNK chaos lol.

the old microsoft sidewinder 6 button pad was awesome with it, but no longer works with xp, rats. best thing about mame and kallera - is going ONLINE. oh yeah, play versus fighting games online against folks using these roms - best feeling in the world to beat someone in LA old-school using chun li in SFII championship edition.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
I still have my Sega Dreamcast... man that was, and still is, a great console.

I have one, it was a POS. That's when gaming went to hell, imho. I really lost interested after the PS1 since games evolved to something i didn't like...multi-player crap. A lot of the games i grew up with were pushed aside and a lot of these MMO's are coming out, which i don't care for. SNES was the golden era of gaming...tons of rpg's!

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMalt
Care to point me to some websites?

www.zophar.net

They have tons of emulators, just read the comments in regards to compatibility and decide what to get. I've found emulators for mame, snes, genesis and nes to be incredibly stable. I've also ran an atari emu with no issues. Now, my opinion is that if you download roms off of a NG, get all of them and see which ones work perfectly, every so often i get a rom that's corrupted or worse...in a foreign language.
eek.gif

And yes, these emu's run in xp. As for roms, try usenet, there's quite a few emulator and rom newgroups, many of them have TONS of roms.

Newsgroups like that should have tons of stuff. Xnews, a newsreader, would work great for tracking down these groups as it features a real-time search engine, so typing in key words like: sega, genesis, nes, snes, mame, rom, roms, emulator, emulators will work perfectly.

lastly, many of these emulators have full joystick (ie. gamepad) support
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

I have one, it was a POS. That's when gaming went to hell, imho. I really lost interested after the PS1 since games evolved to something i didn't like...multi-player crap. A lot of the games i grew up with were pushed aside and a lot of these MMO's are coming out, which i don't care for. SNES was the golden era of gaming...tons of rpg's!

Hell, no, you didn't say that. You'll pay for blasting the Dreamcast!!! That is my favorite system of all-time, I spent countless hours on Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio, and it saw the birth of the NFL 2k series. How dare you!!!

An quick look in my dusty old storage closet:
1.Atari
2.Intellivision
3.Colleco
4.Turbo Graphix
5.Commodore 64
6.Texas Instruments (If anyone hear knows the game "Hunt The Whumpus", you are the MAN)
7.NES
8.SNES
9.Genesis
10.The Genesis CD add-on (forget the name)
11.PS One
12.Dreamcast
13.N64
14.A little zip-drive add-on to the N64 (
icon10.gif
)
15.PS2
16.Xbox

I think that's it, atleast that's all I remember. They all work flawlessy, too.

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
10.The Genesis CD add-on (forget the name)

It was called the Sega CD, I recently picked up a JVC X'Eye which was JVC's entry into the home gaming console maket. The X'Eye is essentialy a Sega Genesis and Sega CD in one complete unit. It played all of Sega's Genesis and Sega CD games. I had one back in 1994 but for some stupid reason I ended up throwing it away along with the controls two years later because I lost interest in it
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Hell, no, you didn't say that. You'll pay for blasting the Dreamcast!!! That is my favorite system of all-time, I spent countless hours on Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio, and it saw the birth of the NFL 2k series. How dare you!!!

Crazy taxi was cool but Jet Set Radio was rather boring. I'm an rpg man myself and the DC lacked good rpg's.

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #29 of 49
Let's see:

1) Pong
2) Some old Timex tape machine computer with a flight simulator that worked once I think
3) Atari 5400 (not too many people had this one I think)
4) NES
5) Gameboy (original)

Now my wife and I have two of those Atari vintage game joystick jobs, with Yar's Revenge, Pac man....etc. That's about my speed, all these ne fangled games and controllers are out of my league (and desire to learn), but I love the idea that people get together online for gaming...if we had that when I was a kid, I'm sure I'd be into it.

I gave up on video games in 9th grade when two things happened:
1) girls

and

2) I had repeated nightmares about making foolish mistakes in the Legend of Zelda...it was then that I knew I should just give up and have repeated nightmares about girls....far more satisfying.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back