Vintage Video Game Consoles
Feb 8, 2005 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

OneMalt

500+ Head-Fier
I saw someone mention a NeoGeo in another thread and started thinging about all the console systems I've had through the years. It seems like I never had THE "In" system at any given time (for instance, I never had an Atari) but I had a blast with the systems I did have.

I started in maybe '76 or '77 with a Pong. Yep, 2 paddles and that lame dot going endlessly back and forth across the screen.

Then, in I think late 1978 we got an Odyssey 2 by Magnavox. I had a ton of games and spent many an hour mezmerized by graphics that are by today's standards near prehistoric but were amazing then. Who can forget the Pac Man knock-off, K.C. Munchkins?

Then I graduated to Intellivision. This was cutting edge! Who needed a stinkin' Atari? Probably one of my two all-time favorite systems. Mattel put out a lot of games and near the end, you started to see a few third-party titles. They even came out with a crude voice add-on module.

On to Colecovision! It didn't stay around long but the graphics were the most arcade-like to date. Xaxon was awesome!

Quite a bit of time went by before I got something new and when I did, it was the Turbo Grafix by NEC. My other favorite system. 16-bit and the first time I played a game on a CD ROM. I can remember playing Y's for weeks.

I've had an NES and Super NES and Playstation but it's the early stuff that I remember best and played the most.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 49
I don't go as far back as you can (being a 1985 model), but my fondest video game memories are also old-skool, namely the NES and SNES.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

On to Colecovision! It didn't stay around long but the graphics were the most arcade-like to date.

This dude at my school has it, I haven't played it...but he has one.

SNES is the ultimate old-school, not vintage though. Commodore 64 is vintage fool, and I've got one
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 49
I wasn't lucky enough to get an Atari system when I was younger. My parents felt it was a waste of money and it was a bad thing for me to spend hours in front of a TV and playing video games.

My first game console that I finally convinced my parent to get me was a Nintnedo SNES gaming console that came with one game, I think it was Duck Hunt. I had blast playing that game but wasn't serious into playing with the unit and didn't buy any games.

Next my cousin got a Playstation and showed me the game Gran Tourismo. After playing and watching the game a bit I was blown away and set out to get a Playstation for myself and the game Gran Tourismo. I still have this Playstation which I eventually sent out to have it modded.

Next I bought the Nintendo 64, then the Sega Dreamcast both of which I sold within a year of owning them because I had lost interest in them. Then I bought a Playstation 2 the first generation one and still have this unit also and use it once in a while to play some of my older games.

I mentioned in another thread about remembering seeing the Neo Geo home gaming console and the Neo Geo games which were really expensive at the time compared to the Playstation. My friend bought a Neo Geo and a few games but didn't keep it for long because the Playstation had better and cheaper games.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

I started in maybe '76 or '77 with a Pong. Yep, 2 paddles and that lame dot going endlessly back and forth across the screen.

the precurser to Tank !

rrrrrrrrr....bmmmmmmm....rrrrrrrrr.......bmmmmmm.. bmm..bm...rrrrrrrrrrrrr........
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 49
The first video games were in night clubs only and were tables with the top being the screen and a chair on each side for the competitors.

you had two choices in what to play :

1-Pong

2-Tank

and being a new thing we played and never even noticed how DUMB we were for parting with our hard earned coin to sit there half drunk watching a stupid DOT bounce around or an even stupider TANK get stuck in the corners so your opponant could blow you up and make you look like a retard!

Beautiful ladies walking around looking for a man to dance with and the knucklheads would be in a dark corner wasting money on a freakin' dot !!!!!!

but it was way cool at the time !
very_evil_smiley.gif

Does not matter what the technology is if it is cutting edge and new when you tackle it.I hate to think what we think is sweet today but will look dated and just DUMB in five years !

BTW-there was a time when ROM Emultors of all the great Arcade Games were on my computer but these babies are no all exactly stable and some will give windows a MIGHTY crash !!!!!!!!!

still way too cool for human consumption though
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 49
i wanted a neo geo so bad. i still think the joystick is still awesome! with samurai showdown - amazing.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 49
what i own
2 NES
1 Sega master system
2 SNES
1 TurboGFZ 16
1 sega genesis
1 sega saturn
1 psx
1 ps2
1 gamecube
1 nintendo ds

i think thats it for home use, i always wanted a neo geo to, and missed an auction for a geo arcade system too i was pissed.

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 49
I still have an Atari 2600 and a few games. (Note that this console was popular before I was even born, I acquired it from a yard sale about eight years ago. =P)

I also have an original NES (the big boxy one), a Japanese Super Famicom (with the Japanese version of Chrono Trigger, yum), a Sega Game Gear (complete with high-capacity NiMH AAs because it's such a battery pig) and an old Amiga 500 personal computer with an, even now, mind-blowingly crystal clear and lush Commodore 64 component RGB monitor. The monitor is getting use now attached to a GameCube.
icon10.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 49
I had some type of motorcycle game. I looked much like an ATARI 2600 console, however it only played one game, maybe a couple of options though.

I had 'motorcycle' grips on each side of the console. I remember that I little motorcycle would cross across the screen about 3 times and then you would go up a ramp and jump buses I think.

I still have a 2600. Thats all I have purchased. Even since I started on PC's back with an XT 4.xx Megahertz PC with 10 meg HD and 5 1/4 floppy, I have only purchased two games that I remember.....F-117a by Microprose and at present have CSI-the first one. Not much for games I guess. Pretty much a dork that tries to push EXCEL, PowerPoint and Word to extremes.

TEAM Dork

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 49
I have had many many console game systems.

Of the ones I still have:

SNES
Sega Saturn
N64
Sega Dreamcast
Gamecube
Gameboy (original)
Gameboy Advance (Afterburner Modded)
Gameboy Advance SP
Neo Geo Color Pocket
XBox

Ones I no longer have:

NES (victim of garage sale)
TI99
Playstation

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 49
ahh yes consoles :

started with

colecovision - i forget which games i had..
nes - contra, punch out!, duck hunt, double dragon, etc, bout 20 games
sega genesis, sonic the hedgehog, altered beast!!, shinobi, couple others
nintendo 64 - mario 64 and pilotwings, shadows of the empire,
sega dreamcast - it was all about soul calibur, doa2, and grandia 2
now Xbox - modded, with all the old school games on its hd like the complete neo geo, sega genesis, nes, snes, cps1-2, mame, nintend64, collections.

Feb 8, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
BTW-there was a time when ROM Emultors of all the great Arcade Games were on my computer but these babies are no all exactly stable and some will give windows a MIGHTY crash !!!!!!!!!

still way too cool for human consumption though
cool.gif

Not now. The emulator (mame) is incredibly stable and works wonderfully. Nothing beats playing these arcade games and thank god for the people who hack them and make them into roms so they will never be forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back