Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #796 of 1,610
I play loud. I feel like low frequency distortion on the OG R10 gets very high at a much lower threshold than other dynamic headphones. It's not the amp. It's the drivers. I'd back off and not push them tooo hard, but there was more than 1 pair like this. They should be fine as long as they're play clean, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. Meanwhile, Stax drivers are quite hardy - there it's the amps that have a hard time :)

You know, sometimes vinyl sources cause the headphone drivers to flap with high excursion (like woofers in speakers), so I've also been careful to not subject suspected "delicate" drivers to that (like Focal Utopias). Of course when you get everything in a turntable right - no more flapping, even without a subsonic filter - like in my main rig with 15" Tannoy drivers, which will easily show any such issue :)

Just clicked the link in your sig... really beautiful setup!

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #797 of 1,610
I'm not utterly in fear of anything lol, this is just how I reasonably treat gear that is OG/Vintage and really expensive. The R10 is 30+ years old. I treat it, the HE90 and my L3000 with care and concern. I listen to all three at lower volume and treat as if more fragile than any of my newer gear, as one can only assume that they are more fragile than any of the newer headphones due to age (which absolutely may not be true, it's just an assumption to be on the safer side). I don't expect to be in this hobby forever and will one day sell everything, I want to be able to tell the next person I treated them just as good as the person I bought them from before. And if I do stay in the hobby, chances are they'll last me a very long time because of the precautions.

I would add that although the HE60 and MK1 are vintage, I don’t treat them special listen time or volume wise as above, as they are much easier to replace. Still take great care of them obviously, just no restrictions.

It is nice to know some of the rare ones are being preserved for the future (and possibly future listeners. Kind of like Jay Leno and his classic cars.

I do understand, as I have some which are 40+ years old, though no where in the league of the he90 or r10.

You certainly have a nice collection, and knowledge acquired from the experience with said collection (and i'm sure many more not listed of the past)

Does this still allow you to appreciate some of the entry- mid level stuff? Or you brain just cannot handle it. Like a Koss Porta Pro for example.

As for the volume restriction/ and no restriction, I understand your point.

Though true no restriction, is gutting/modding, which most people would do on entry- mid-fi. I guess there is a certain freedom in that also. There is more hesitant attitude with rarities (though some people seem to recable/ add bluetack and dollar store dampening to some TOTL) XD

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #798 of 1,610
Does this still allow you to appreciate some of the entry- mid level stuff? Or you brain just cannot handle it. Like a Koss Porta Pro for example.

I still have gold Koss Porta Pros I enjoy in the gym from time to time and used the Audio Technica ATH-M50x on a flight just today. So yes. :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #799 of 1,610
I know quite a few people following this thread own the Shangri-La SR. I came across these pads, thought they looked interesting, and thought some here might also be interested. Might require EQ to be used with the SR's if they make them more treble and upper mid forward, but the description of wider soundstage and better separation and detail made me curious. If you could use EQ to mitigate any negative effects on the tonality, if they do increase the technical performance side, that could be very interesting to try. The SR already excels in those areas, so.....could it really be improved?

From "NTRAX Mod Design" on facebook. Cost seems to be $139USD including mounting rings.

"
TYPE A, have the widest and deepest cavity among the NMD Custom Pads.
What You May Like: Wider Soundstage, Better Separation and Detail. Deep Bass Extension.
Spacious. Pin-Point Imaging.
What You May Not Like: Laid Back Mids, Brighter Upper Mids and Forward Treble.'

311265930_546671077265413_6826360546523386484_n.jpg

300376774_509310354334819_8298101396276665839_n.jpg
311466748_546671230598731_572060999385551667_n.jpg

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #800 of 1,610
Here is a graph (the pictures I shared were of the Type A)

It seems it mostly just has a bit less 2khz area, which would be easily adjusted via EQ. Interesting.

313055874_556059652993222_1245589905481755203_n.jpg

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #801 of 1,610
It looks like he only has 1 thing for sale in his shop. Before I purchase these, I just want to verify that the "Custom Hifiman Ananda / Arya / HE1K Pads" are the ones you got for the Shang, right? :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #802 of 1,610
It looks like he only has 1 thing for sale in his shop. Before I purchase these, I just want to verify that the "Custom Hifiman Ananda / Arya / HE1K Pads" are the ones you got for the Shang, right? :beerchug:
Was just sharing for others who might be interested. I would guess the attachment system is the same between the headphones, but you could message him to double check.

EDIT: It appears to be the same attachment system

HE1000V2 pad

UltraPad-Foam-Cushion-EarPads-For-HIFIMAN-HE1000-V2-Edition-X-V2-Over-Ear-Pads-Headphone-Headset.jpg

Shangri-La Pad

BD68BA31-9035-4244-B917-F2D091203A4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #803 of 1,610
...you could message him to double check.

EDIT: It appears to be the same attachment system

HE1000V2 pad

Shangri-La Pad

Thanks. I'm definitely interested. I'll probably pick up the Type B too, as it look like it adds some bass, which would be a great addition. I want X9K bass on my Shang Sr. I don't know if it is possible, but the pads are worth a try.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #804 of 1,610
Thanks. I'm definitely interested. I'll probably pick up the Type B too, as it look like it adds some bass, which would be a great addition. I want X9K bass on my Shang Sr. I don't know if it is possible, but the pads are worth a try.
It's worth a try, and they at least look well built from the photos. I don't have personal experience with them sadly, but I think if I ever end up with a pair of egg shape Hifimans in the future, I'd at least give them a shot.

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #805 of 1,610
From "NTRAX Mod Design" on facebook. Cost seems to be $139USD including mounting rings.

"
TYPE A, have the widest and deepest cavity among the NMD Custom Pads.
What You May Like: Wider Soundstage, Better Separation and Detail. Deep Bass Extension.
Spacious. Pin-Point Imaging.
What You May Not Like: Laid Back Mids, Brighter Upper Mids and Forward Treble.'
Pads look good. @NtraX is also on these forums. I've seen his Audeze ones and they look good too.

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #806 of 1,610
I'm pretty much ready to declare the Sony MDR-R10 as having the most magical and mesmerizing midrange of all time. It has more of that unquantifiable and hard to describe "magic" than probably any other headphone. Very hard to describe, but the same exact magic every time you put it on.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #807 of 1,610
I'm pretty much ready to declare the Sony MDR-R10 as having the most magical and mesmerizing midrange of all time. It has more of that unquantifiable and hard to describe "magic" than probably any other headphone. Very hard to describe, but the same exact magic every time you put it on.
Agree! Best mids for sure, period!

It feels as if there is a tube preamp to get that kind of sweet vocals. It is ethereal, mesmerizing, out of the world, you could put any good words to describe it.

What is more precious is the organic reverbs and texture, coming from the wooden cups.

but then I also echo with Hifiman Dr. Fang about the drawback of that tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #808 of 1,610
Agree! Best mids for sure, period!

It feels as if there is a tube preamp to get that kind of sweet vocals. It is ethereal, mesmerizing, out of the world, you could put any good words to describe it.

What is more precious is the organic reverbs and texture, coming from the wooden cups.

but then I also echo with Hifiman Dr. Fang about the drawback of that tuning.

Yea it's just really hard to describe just how amazing it is. And the thing that gets me is the wow factor every single time I put them back on, it just hasn't diminished. I do get some of it's quirks and imperfections, but there also just isn't anything out there that can do what it does.. (specific to the midrange that is)

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #809 of 1,610
Valkryia and Orpheus are also excellent.

You really need to hear the R10 with the 45 type -- drives that magic to the nth degree.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #810 of 1,610
Valkryia and Orpheus are also excellent.

You really need to hear the R10 with the 45 type -- drives that magic to the nth degree.

Yea I've heard similar things about the Valkryia. The Orpheus for me definitely is next in line in that regard. Very smooth, with an excellent midrange, definitely up there for sure.

The 45 type? Is that another 300b amp? I was fully sold on the Eddie Current Studio B amp but I had to take a break on the wallet. My cross country move is costing me an insane amount of money so I'm holding on for a bit on any new gear. But I definitely will have to get a dedicated amp for it in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back