Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #811 of 1,610
Yea I've heard similar things about the Valkryia. The Orpheus for me definitely is next in line in that regard. Very smooth, with an excellent midrange, definitely up there for sure.

The 45 type? Is that another 300b amp? I was fully sold on the Eddie Current Studio B amp but I had to take a break on the wallet. My cross country move is costing me an insane amount of money so I'm holding on for a bit on any new gear. But I definitely will have to get a dedicated amp for it in the future.
I’m at the point of scared of any component midcentric…

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #812 of 1,610
I’m at the point of scared of any component midcentric…
I'm a big fan of generally neutral amps. Not sure if that's what he was implying about that specific amp, but synergy is also a really big deal. I would be all for an amp that maximizes the R10's midrange as long as it doesn't add much more coloration, if any.

I'll need to find something that gels well with the L3000 and R10. I am hoping to not break the bank, having just broken the bank on the electrostatic rig lol

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #813 of 1,610
I'm a big fan of generally neutral amps. Not sure if that's what he was implying about that specific amp, but synergy is also a really big deal. I would be all for an amp that maximizes the R10's midrange as long as it doesn't add much more coloration, if any.

I'll need to find something that gels well with the L3000 and R10. I am hoping to not break the bank, having just broken the bank on the electrostatic rig lol
Not just AMPs but also DACs

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #814 of 1,610
The 45 type? Is that another 300b amp? I was fully sold on the Eddie Current Studio B amp but I had to take a break on the wallet.
I assume @paradoxper is referring to an amp based around the 45 triode, a tube that is known for clarity and realism. It doesn't have a lot of power and is mostly used with efficient speakers. They have their ardent followers that is not dissimilar from 300b and 2a3.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #815 of 1,610
I assume @paradoxper is referring to an amp based around the 45 triode, a tube that is known for clarity and realism. It doesn't have a lot of power and is mostly used with efficient speakers. They have their ardent followers that is not dissimilar from 300b and 2a3.

Ahh gotcha, I'm certainly less familiar, thanks for the clarity!

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #816 of 1,610
The 45 is unmatched. The 300B by Elrog are right there with bigger bass and the 811 especially for headphone consideration.
Cooter was ahead of his time with his electrostat amplifier but I'd imagine he could bridge Elrogs to bring balls to STAX.

I digress. Go DHT, it will change everything.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #817 of 1,610
The 45 is unmatched. The 300B by Elrog are right there with bigger bass and the 811 especially for headphone consideration.
Cooter was ahead of his time with his electrostat amplifier but I'd imagine he could bridge Elrogs to bring balls to STAX.

I digress. Go DHT, it will change everything.
Is there anyone currently making a good 45?

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #818 of 1,610
Is there anyone currently making a good 45?
Limited. Thomas Mayer could have Elrog make the 45 which is one of his favorite tubes as well, however, he won't as the demand is not high enough. So you have the Globe mesh from EML which is sensational. Up there with the Perryman mesh as best 45. But Mostly a NOS game.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #819 of 1,610
Limited. Thomas Mayer could have Elrog make the 45 which is one of his favorite tubes as well, however, he won't as the demand is not high enough. So you have the Globe mesh from EML which is sensational. Up there with the Perryman mesh as best 45. But Mostly a NOS game.
Even years ago NOS in 45s was very hard to find. I remember one guy buying a few pairs of used that were supposed to measure well but he couldn't find NOS.

Mesh plates in tubes, like the 27 Sylvania are my favorites. I even have true NOS in the Sylvania fine mesh plate, preferring it to the course mesh plate. 1929 to 1931 stock. But the 45s, though I have not used them, are something that I have read about many times as being so very fine.

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #820 of 1,610
Even years ago NOS in 45s was very hard to find. I remember one guy buying a few pairs of used that were supposed to measure well but he couldn't find NOS.

Mesh plates in tubes, like the 27 Sylvania are my favorites. I even have true NOS in the Sylvania fine mesh plate, preferring it to the course mesh plate. 1929 to 1931 stock. But the 45s, though I have not used them, are something that I have read about many times as being so very fine.
There is a very cool Elekit type project with the 45. Always amazing to see tubes from the 1920's. Astounding.

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #822 of 1,610
Depends on what you meant by unmatched. The 300b is sound is well documented. Plenty of bloom, lushness and densest in terms of tonality with an authoritative but slightly rolled bass delivery. Often touted as the most tube with the most 'soul'. The 45 is the most delicate, clearest and sweetest treble out of the lot. Emphasis on realism, details and clarity. 2a3 is the most versatile out of the lot in a sort of best of both worlds approach, not as bright or delicate as the 45 nor as rich and powerful as the 300b. All great in different ways.

Back to @number1sixerfan question on getting an amp for l3000 and r10. Tonally a 45 or a 2a3 tube character would make more sense than a 300b given the sound signature of those headphones so I'll recommend looking for those first. Front runners for 2a3 based amps are definitely DNA Stratus or Stellaris. I've heard a 45 based amp on speakers but not heard any headphone amp. Personally I'm using a Studio B from Eddie Current. It isn't overly bloomy but retains that powerful sound and immersive stage that most 300b are known for. Definitely a recommendation if it is still available for purchase.

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #823 of 1,610
Depends on what you meant by unmatched. The 300b is sound is well documented. Plenty of bloom, lushness and densest in terms of tonality with an authoritative but slightly rolled bass delivery. Often touted as the most tube with the most 'soul'. The 45 is the most delicate, clearest and sweetest treble out of the lot. Emphasis on realism, details and clarity. 2a3 is the most versatile out of the lot in a sort of best of both worlds approach, not as bright or delicate as the 45 nor as rich and powerful as the 300b. All great in different ways.

Back to @number1sixerfan question on getting an amp for l3000 and r10. Tonally a 45 or a 2a3 tube character would make more sense than a 300b given the sound signature of those headphones so I'll recommend looking for those first. Front runners for 2a3 based amps are definitely DNA Stratus or Stellaris. I've heard a 45 based amp on speakers but not heard any headphone amp. Personally I'm using a Studio B from Eddie Current. It isn't overly bloomy but retains that powerful sound and immersive stage that most 300b are known for. Definitely a recommendation if it is still available for purchase.
The 300B trades far more coloration and is rolled at the top end. 45 is the most extended and natural tube I've heard although it trades a little softness in bass.
I haven't heard a 2A3 that captured magic and wasn't too dry. Stellaris is a great example of being an exception as it's pretty wet but simply far too soft.
This is where the Elrog Mo 300B transcends as it's fluid and so extended with such clarity but also packs extreme punch and density. It really ruins solid state strengths.

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #824 of 1,610
Front runners for 2a3 based amps are definitely DNA Stratus or Stellaris

Don't write off the wa23. That thing sounded awesome at canjam and is 100% worth a look imo

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #825 of 1,610
This is where the Elrog Mo 300B transcends as it's fluid and so extended with such clarity but also packs extreme punch and density. It really ruins solid state strengths.
That cost as much as my entire amp so it's gonna be hard to justify getting one without first hearing it. The properties that you've described are things that I look for so who knows perhaps in the future.

Stellaris is a great example of being an exception as it's pretty wet but simply far too soft.
Great observation on DNA amps. Donald's amp tend to sound wetter and his 2a3 amps are some of my favorites out there. I've heard EC Studio T and an older 2a3 based amp from Craig and it's noticeably drier than the DNA sound. All great amps and the Studio especially is one of the most resolving amp out there. It's a pity that I can't purchase a Studio anymore but it is what it is.

Don't write off the wa23. That thing sounded awesome at canjam and is 100% worth a look imo
Can't write off what I didn't hear mate. It's not right for me to push for something I've not heard so its great that you brought it up. Does look more interesting than the wa33 and would love to hear one some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back