Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #931 of 1,502
I felt that way too. I sold the Kingwood Caldera because it felt like it overlapped with the L3000 too much for me. I personally think the Caldera is a better headphone than the L3000 (better soundstage, better instrumental separation, and maybe better clarity(not confident on this one)), but I'm just too biased with the L3000. I felt like the vocals, bass, and electric guitars were more satisfying with the L3000 and the genres I like (basically like rock songs like jrock, pop rock, psychedelic rock, classic rock, old British metal, etc etc) were more satisfying with the L3000. Note I also had a low-tier SS amp and a pretty decent tube amp during my time with the Caldera that time so I never really heard the true potential of the Caldera. Now that I clean up my audio chain, I always wonder if I would like the Caldera more than the L3000 🤔

I was listening to the L3000 and Caldera out of the EC last night and it was like a light bulb went off lol. Very uncanny similarities. I too think the Caldera is probably better, need more time there, but I totally hear you. There are some things that the L3000 seems to do better (again, need more time), but mainly bass and vocals as you mention. But splitting hair differences. Like you, I would absolutely not give up my L3000 over them lol. But if I didn't have the L3000, I think I would go with the Caldera over paying the premium for them.

This is a pretty interesting finding for me, as I don't think I've ever heard anything that reminded me truly of the L3000. The Utopia did but only with the intimate presentation, but not in other ways really.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #932 of 1,502
Glad you guys think the L3000 and Caldera are similar. It’s been a few years since I owned the L3000 but was listening to the Caldera the other day and was thinking this was the first time in a while the bass sounded this good. It’s also got this nice warm, textured bass, besides the impact, that’s just so nice to listen. I was listening to them for a month with suede pads and were really fun and thick sounding but were lacking technicality just a bit. Once I finally got the stock pads, I felt that sub bass and extra resolution kick in. It really is the most fun headphone I’ve heard since the L3000.

The Expanse started off strong for me but over time I find the soundstage started too close. I also found the bass a little hit or miss. In some songs, the bass guitar was perfect and others, the bass sounded bumped up too much but without much warmth or sub bass. The impact was hit or miss too. Many songs had great impact while others did not. But it was the overall enjoyment that ended up failing for me. I’m felt it was technically better than the OG Utopia, but then found many albums that just didn’t move me the way the Utopia did. And with the Caldera, especially with stock pads, everything in my collection sounds amazing.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #933 of 1,502
Glad you guys think the L3000 and Caldera are similar. It’s been a few years since I owned the L3000 but was listening to the Caldera the other day and was thinking this was the first time in a while the bass sounded this good. It’s also got this nice warm, textured bass, besides the impact, that’s just so nice to listen. I was listening to them for a month with suede pads and were really fun and thick sounding but were lacking technicality just a bit. Once I finally got the stock pads, I felt that sub bass and extra resolution kick in. It really is the most fun headphone I’ve heard since the L3000.

The Expanse started off strong for me but over time I find the soundstage started too close. I also found the bass a little hit or miss. In some songs, the bass guitar was perfect and others, the bass sounded bumped up too much but without much warmth or sub bass. The impact was hit or miss too. Many songs had great impact while others did not. But it was the overall enjoyment that ended up failing for me. I’m felt it was technically better than the OG Utopia, but then found many albums that just didn’t move me the way the Utopia did. And with the Caldera, especially with stock pads, everything in my collection sounds amazing.

I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to ZMF headphones. I hate pad rolling lol. I just want the most optimal pads and set and forget it. I'm using the stock pads and it's going to take a while for me to pad roll with the other two I have. The changes to me feel a bit subtle and you end up doing a lot of mind tricks trying to understand what you prefer most. But that's just me.

I definitely get the Expanse not being everyone's cup of tea, particularly when it comes to bass. But I've been using it in comparison to the Caldera and the Susvara yesterday and today and for me, and with the genres I listen to headphones with, it is just special and there's no denying that for me. Bass impact is its only weakness. But it has clarity and resolution that is pretty much second to none. I don't know that you can get that without the sacrifice of the impact tbh. Along with the Caldera, for me they are absolute keepers. The problem then comes with the overlap with the Susvara, which is also very resolving and light/airy in nature. As I listen to the Susvara, I'd love to own it again, but the overlap with the Expanse in some aspects is considerable.. and I don't intend on giving up the Expanse at all.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #934 of 1,502
Similar to when I owned the Susvara, I've ended up spending most of the night with them (i.e. the 009 was my favorite yet the Susvara got a bit more overall time). So special. Voiced damn near so perfectly.

Directly out of the EC Studio B. So amazing.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #936 of 1,502
Do you mean you spent the night with the Expanse, the Caldera, or the Susvara?

I didn't mean to make it sound like such a riveting activity lol.

But I meant that as enamored as I am with the Caldera, and how enjoyable the Expanse and Utopia are, I ended up just not taking the Susvara off. Which was very reminiscent of when I owned them along with the TC/Sr1a/009. I get kind of annoyed that the Susvara doesn't seem to have a real wow factor like the others, but then I end up listening to it quite a lot lol

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #938 of 1,502
Ha! 😊

Get you totally. I sold my Susvara in the end, but know *exactly* that feeling. May well end up with another pair one day, but I’ll give the T2/X9000 a good long stretch first. With those and the CFA3/Phi TC I have some bases covered already, so nothing toooooooo rash on the horizon.

(I think 😂)

Good luck, easier said than done lol. But seriously, I think the x9000 has quite a few similarities with the Susvara. I'm contemplating moving some gear so I can get one of them back.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #940 of 1,502
Yeah, the X9000 was a big part of the reason I sold my Susvara. Loved the Susvara. Absolutely loved them. But a good deal of overlap. If I ever try the SL Sr — and like it — I can imagine using that on the T2 and getting the Susvara again.
Honestly, if I owned an SGL (and I surely will at some point), I doubt the Susvara would get much head time, as the SGL is also a great all-rounder and to my ear has a similar tuning with even stronger technicals. I'd like to experience the X9000 on a T2, but on my chain and for my preferences, Susvara just connected me with the essence of the music more, particularly rock music. If I listed primarily to classical, the X9000 would have been the keeper between the two.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #941 of 1,502
Finally fired the T2/SGL Sr. back up... and this is exactly why I've intentionally not* been listening to this system for the past few weeks as I evaluate new cans. It just very quickly and easily outclasses everything. My goodness, just insane. The R10 is a smoother, easier listen and I think for me is tied there in sheer enjoyment. More of an analytical, technical performance amazement, but it wows every single time.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #942 of 1,502
Honestly, if I owned an SGL (and I surely will at some point), I doubt the Susvara would get much head time, as the SGL is also a great all-rounder and to my ear has a similar tuning with even stronger technicals. I'd like to experience the X9000 on a T2, but on my chain and for my preferences, Susvara just connected me with the essence of the music more, particularly rock music. If I listed primarily to classical, the X9000 would have been the keeper between the two.

That's exactly it. I do think the Susvara is a bit smoother and have to give it that. But it's essentially a stat version of the Susvara on steroids. The technical ability is just incredible. Everything the Susvara does, the Sr. just takes into overdrive. Head time is the only reason I sold the Susvara, but idk I may give it a second go round.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #943 of 1,502
That's exactly it. I do think the Susvara is a bit smoother and have to give it that. But it's essentially a stat version of the Susvara on steroids. The technical ability is just incredible. Everything the Susvara does, the Sr. just takes into overdrive. Head time is the only reason I sold the Susvara, but idk I may give it a second go round.
Yeah, the SGL isn't really conducive to "background listening". :relaxed: The sound is so vivid and alive, it's hard not to give it your full attention. The Susvara may be a better choice for listening while working, reading, etc.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #944 of 1,502
Ha! 😊

Get you totally. I sold my Susvara in the end, but know *exactly* that feeling. May well end up with another pair one day, but I’ll give the T2/X9000 a good long stretch first. With those and the CFA3/Phi TC I have some bases covered already, so nothing toooooooo rash on the horizon.

(I think 😂)
All you need is the addition of 300B and you can have the choice of leaving the T2/STAX especially if you complement with Valkyria.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #945 of 1,502
All you need is the addition of 300B and you can have the choice of leaving the T2/STAX especially if you complement with Valkyria.
Every time you brought up Valkyria it always brings back my desire to get one. But I’m concerned about the weight though, since 1266 TC caused me some neck pain 😓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back