vintage dt880
Jul 23, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #76 of 84
I tried a lot of ear pads with these vintage DT880.
The ones that looks and feels the most like the original pads are some German Maestro ear pads. They are number 41-6051 from their webshop
Used on the GMP 250 and GMP 8.300 D.
The sound with these pads is amazing. Deep bass, great mids and a superb treble retrieval.
And a soundstage to die for.
A modern DT880 will only win on refinement and transparency, but loses on PRaT, musicality and coherency IMO.
In the picture the one on the right is the original pad, the one on the left the GMP pad.

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #77 of 84
Hi Folks

I have a set of early/mid 80's Revox 3100 headphones (DT880pro OEM) on their way to  me from flee bay.

They definitely need new pads... so my question is... which of the available pads will sound most "original" and which will sound best .... (and why)... I was once familiar with them as I used to sell them new in those days..... but my sonic memory isn't up to a 25 year break!

From what I can find online and on Head-Fi - the options are:
  • Beyer Grey Velour 880/990
  • Beyer Black Velour 880/990
  • Beyer Black pleather 770
  • Beyer Black pleather aeronautical
  • Jmoney Leather
  • German Maestro 41-6051 pleather

In this forum the German Maestro pads are getting a good plug - but has there been any comparisons to the other options?

There is another thread reviewing the JMoney pads on current/recent DT880's - but that doesn't tell me how they will sound on the original DT880's!

any advice appreciated

thank you

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #78 of 84
Further update /addition:

From what I can find online and on Head-Fi - the options are:

• Beyer Grey Velour 880/990
  • Beyer Black Velour 880/990
  • Beyer Black pleather 770
  • Beyer Black pleather aeronautical
  • Jmoney Leather
  • German Maestro 41-6051 pleather
  • no name from http://stores.ebay.com.au/15shopgoods

Also some notes:
Reviews of the aeronautical have stated poor SQ results - the JMoney have good results, they are similar in materials but the JMoney pads are thinner (thickness) and perforated at the back

Photos of the German Maestro pads are not definite as to whether the back surface is porous (similar to perforated) - although they do show a single perforation on the bottom (may be semi sealed with the one perforation?)

The China based ebay store seems to be advertising leather or pleather http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350323949159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2358wt_1027
Back side is not shown so it is not clear whether the back surface is perforated.

The original Beyer velour pads are perforated on the rear.

The perforations seem to be important to sound quality... at least with recent generation DT880's

I have no idea whether the original DT880pro's had perforated or sealed pads (maybe someone could check?)

thank you

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #79 of 84
The original DT880/'80 pads are not perforated at the back, though they are not closed either. You can see the inside cloth. But that can't effect sound, because you still can not breathe through them due to the pleather surface. In my opinion the GMP pads sounded the best, compared to the original DT880 pleather pads. Though comparing is difficult, because my old pads were really flat.

The DT880 1980 edition were tuned to closed pleather ear pads. The newer DT880/990 velour pads are too open. With them the old DT880 will sound too bright IMO.
The Beyer aviation leather ear pads weren't too bad.
If you use DT770 velour pads, it's best to squeeze them first between heavy books and tape the perforation holes.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #81 of 84
Ok... they have arrived...
bigsmile_face.gif

Pads are totally cactus - but I was expecting that....

So - how does one go about changing pads on a mid 1980's Revox 3100 / DT880pro ?

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #82 of 84
Never mind - pads are now on ... music playing ... sounding good

Now I can listen - compare.... see whether my memory of these matches their current reality!

The Headband/Pad on mine is cracked in a couple of places - working fine and quite comfortable but aesthetically not so great.... on a Vintage DT880 Pro is the headband pad the same length as the current ones? (ie can I get the current stock item, or do I need to find a slightly different size to fit the vintage set?)

Note this is the PRO series vintage... not the standard - so it is the headband that wraps around the metal headstrap/structure.

Also - what earpads in the Velvet / Velour lines that might fit a Vintage DT880 are sealed rear? Wouldn't mind seeing if I can find something softer than the German Maestro pads.... something a little more sybaritic.....

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #84 of 84
Hello, let me necro this.
I have a question - are there vintage DT880 headphones 600ohm?
Which are the ones that are 250 ohm?
Do those have different grills?

All the Original DT 880s were 600 Ohm. Standard, Studio (1980) and Monitor (1985). The "ressuscitated" DT 880 from the 1990s (not Pro, but Pro style headband), with flat grills, was 250 Ohm, as is its effective sucessor, the current DT 880 Pro, with Round Cups and Grills. There is also the Premium Edition 600 Ohm, but that is now out of production, I believe..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back