vintage dt880
Sep 8, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #46 of 84
If you want to boost the treble and the clarity, you'll need to take out the foam and use the GMP net over the driver.

3789521105_483eac6925_o.jpg

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #47 of 84
So, I've got a pair on these vintage DT880's, and I've got velour pads on them.

They are pretty bass-lite as ericj described.

So, where can I purchase some pads for these?
Do, I need to call up beyerdynamic and ask for the EDT550S?
Or should I call up DBI and get some of their pads?

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've got a pair on these vintage DT880's, and I've got velour pads on them.

They are pretty bass-lite as ericj described.

So, where can I purchase some pads for these?
Do, I need to call up beyerdynamic and ask for the EDT550S?
Or should I call up DBI and get some of their pads?

You can try on the German Maestro shop: GermanMAESTRO Shop - SERIOUS ABOUT AUDIO

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone with experience with a vintage dt880 (late 80s)? I just bought one and am waiting for it to be sent to me. I have a dt990 from the same period which is one of the best headphones I've ever heard and I am curious whether the dt880 from the same period is as good.

Vintage Beyer is always stellar.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #50 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vintage Beyer is always stellar.

Isn't that the truth
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #51 of 84
After moving house, I finally got to putting my rig back together again. I put velvet pads on the dt880. These pads used to be on a pair of Philips I used to have (decent sound for the price, but the plastic thingy that connects the headband to the cups easily snaps). They fit perfectly and I didn't even have to replace the foam screens. They came attached with the pads.

Haven't a-b'd it with the dt990 yet, but initial impressions (drive by a zero dac and solo amp) are that the sound sig is similar, but a bit brighter. There is a sharpish sound to it, which most times sounds nice. Sometimes it's too sharp. Good bass, midcentric, good highs. Soundstage is accurate and wide on analog recordings (I think at least). It does very well with jazz and vocals, less so with baroque and classical. A keeper for sure. Will have to do some more listening.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

Isn't that the truth
beerchug.gif

The tabacco smell goes away. My sextett came with that lovely smell. Beyer loves letters and varations of their top models.. 4 different DT880 models? A gazillion DT48 variants. Would love to compare the original DT880 to my 50's DT48s. Guess I'm on another Vintage Beyer hunt.. 600 ohms, even more so. From my DT48 experience, the earliest DT880 probably represents the truest sound of the DT880. The way the Beyer engineers intended. sadly enough, I just couldn't get into the DT480.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tabacco smell goes away. My sextett came with that lovely smell. Beyer loves letters and varations of their top models.. 4 different DT880 models? A gazillion DT48 variants. Would love to compare the original DT880 to my 50's DT48s. Guess I'm on another Vintage Beyer hunt.. 600 ohms, even more so. From my DT48 experience, the earliest DT880 probably represents the truest sound of the DT880. The way the Beyer engineers intended. sadly enough, I just couldn't get into the DT480.

You really should try the DT100....

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #54 of 84
Quote:

I did the Glenn Gould Test (with the Goldberg Variations: the better you can hear Gould humming/singin along with the piano, the better the headphones) and it passed with flying colors. Am going to have an extended listen until the tobacco smell catches up with me. Only thing that's less than expected is the treble. Perhaps the deteriorated foam has something to do with this.

I've just been playing with the REB Glenn Gould Test - it's great. Listening to his 1981 recordings via Spotify upgraded to 320kbps (ogg vorbis), such a good test, there's a lot of incidental noise there, on 15a there's what sounds like classical music being played on headphones, sounds in parts like he might be playing along to a recorded orchestrated version, but perhaps it's just noise from elsewhere.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #55 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just been playing with the REB Glenn Gould Test - it's great. Listening to his 1981 recordings via Spotify upgraded to 320kbps (ogg vorbis), such a good test, there's a lot of incidental noise there, on 15a there's what sounds like classical music being played on headphones, sounds in parts like he might be playing along to a recorded orchestrated version, but perhaps it's just noise from elsewhere.

It's a great recording, isn't it? From what I've read Gould was really into recording technology. The 1981 recordings are clear proof of that.

I like my new vintage dt880s, but the dt990s are in a class of their own, in particular when it comes to detail and the humming of Glenn Gould.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a pair of vintage DT-990 coming my way so I'm looking forward to hearing and owning yet another fine Beyer history.
wink.gif

Good on you
happy_face1.gif
! Let us know how you like them!

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #59 of 84
Today I received a vintage DT880 S.
With beaten up earpads as expected. Also a loose headband.
The most annoying thing is the lack of left/right indication. How's that on yours?
The sound however is good, fast, airy, detailed and with a surprisingly amount of bass and impact.
Now I wonder how much the sound differs from todays DT880's.....

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #60 of 84
the left/right marks are on the inside of the headband-where the cloth headband is conncected on either end

i have had a modern dt880 as well. the modern one has better range mainly in highs. the modern seems to have more bass until the old is amped very well, then i would give the edge to the old dt880s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back