Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Jul 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #856 of 1,111
I would've jumped on the GenV if I hadn't already bought a Basic IIIa recently 
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #857 of 1,111
  I would've jumped on the GenV if I hadn't already bought a Basic IIIa recently 
redface.gif

Hey there Walter!! Those vintage Thetas are still at the top of their game even 20+ yrs later. I will very likely seek one out again one day. Wanted to move on and experience some other gear and if you accumulate too much gear it just doesn't get utilized enough and I just figured someone else will absolutely LOVE to have this DAC and will use it regularly like it deserves. What goes around , comes around. A little regret perhaps but ultimately I'm very content with selling it. Still hope to hear your Soekrates build one day Walter!!! 
atsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #859 of 1,111
Hey guys, do you know if there's an internal switch on the theta dspro gen v units to get the output to go to rca line out from balanced out or are both outputs supposed to be live?

Both should be live.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #860 of 1,111
Another question, more general than vintage dac. If using the balanced output, can one adapt it to single ended via 3-pin xlr female to rca female adapter without causing issues to the DAC? The pin out I believe is 2-pin on XLR as center of rca and 1-pin 3-pin both are tied to outer of rca - this is a standard I presume.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #861 of 1,111
That's beyond my expertise, I had always heard that you can go single ended to balanced, but if you reversed that it would create a short.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #865 of 1,111
If that's the case then there's no way for me to use this dac as amps I own are all se. Although I do have 2 balanced amps to test with at the moment.

Can anyone confirm going from balanced 3pin xlr line out to se line in via adapter is a no go?

These should be good enough
http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/aes-ebu-impedance-transformers/
Dont know how much they cost but surely cheaper than those jensens above

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #866 of 1,111
  Another question, more general than vintage dac. If using the balanced output, can one adapt it to single ended via 3-pin xlr female to rca female adapter without causing issues to the DAC? The pin out I believe is 2-pin on XLR as center of rca and 1-pin 3-pin both are tied to outer of rca - this is a standard I presume.

Pretty sure you can do this. May DAC kit has balanced and single ended outputs. The balanced just has another winding off the output trans. Get some XLR to RCA plugs like the Neutric units should be fine.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #869 of 1,111
Are the voltage/volume output the same between rca and balanced in the theta units?

My progeny only has RCA but I know for sure it is set at 4V and Bifrost MB is standard 2V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back