Vintage Amps
Aug 23, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #137 of 152
If you do a search in the Amplification forum, you find that there a few people who have had exposure to the Sansui 2000x. However, since it's a very old amp, I doubt many have even heard it.

I would imagine that some of our DIYers might have comments on fixing a problem like that.

Aug 23, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #138 of 152
Where is this post supposed to be?

I recall my dad used to have a Sansui 5000X, and my uncle had a 7000X. That was over 30 years ago and my first exposure to a stereo other than the suitcase one that I had in my bedroom. He also had a Dual turntable, some HUGE Sansui speakers (12" drivers, 6" midrange, and 1.5" tweeters) that sat on the floor, and a TEAC reel to reel deck. The one thing I remember was how much the floor would vibrate from the bass.

Aug 23, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #139 of 152
Parenthetical note: If you use descriptive titles, you are more likely to receive a response. For example "just found one myself" says nothing. Someone with extensive knowledge of what you want might pass the post by and never know what it was about. If you had labelled it "just found a Sansui 2000X receiver", the title would likely attract people that had something to say about the model.

Aug 23, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #140 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Parenthetical note: If you use descriptive titles, you are more likely to receive a response. For example "just found one myself" says nothing. Someone with extensive knowledge of what you want might pass the post by and never know what it was about. If you had labelled it "just found a Sansui 2000X receiver", the title would likely attract people that had something to say about the model.

If you read his second post, he was intending to respond to a post (about Sansui amps I assume) instead of create a new thread. Unfortunately titles cannot be edited by the users for some reason (this would be very handy, especially in the for sale/trade forum).

-dd3mon

Aug 23, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #141 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
If you read his second post, he was intending to respond to a post (about Sansui amps I assume) instead of create a new thread. Unfortunately titles cannot be edited by the users for some reason (this would be very handy, especially in the for sale/trade forum).

-dd3mon

Found the thread that looked right and merged them.

Aug 23, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #142 of 152
Sorry bout all the problems Hirsh. The original thread the post were supposed to be included in was entitled "Sansui 2000X (a SERIOUS mosfet blast from the past)". That post was: Quote:

I just found a 2000x in my garage today and was playing with it only its not in very good condition it seems. One channel seems to be gone. Is there any easy first steps to take to remedy this if you know? But from your initial impressions it seems to be something I should definitely keep. If there is anything more you can say about the 2000x i would really appreciate it.

You can delete the one right after that and this one as well. But I think it would be really helpful for everybody to rename this thread Vintage Amps as that is the real topic. Again sorry.

Sep 15, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #143 of 152
I would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread, especially mkmelt and FCJ. After reading through, I decided to take the plunge and bid on a Marantz 2220.

My previous headphone setup was a Mint Meta and Grado 80s. I then got a pair of Beyer 880s and the Mint was just not sending enough power to these phones. I found this thread and figured I could swing $80 (including shipping) to buy the Marantz amp.

Well I received the amp last week, and cosmetically it is beautiful. No scratches and all lights and switches work. The previous owner took great care for it and packaged the amp safely.

I powered it up and there was noticeable hiss/static coming out of both channels. This noise was constant in the speakers, headphone jack, AM, FM, Aux, phono. I looked at this post again and read up on cleaning the switches and pots. After a good cleaning, I now only get hiss out of the right channel.

The good news is even with the hiss, this amp kicks my Meta's rear. I am getting sounds out of my Beyers that I have never heard before. I now know what real headphones should sound like, and I would like to thank everyone hear for that. Buying vintage gear can indeed be a gamble, but it is a rather inexpensive way to get huge sound out of headphones.

I will continue to investigate eliminating the noise in the right channel. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be more than open to hear them.

Cheers

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #144 of 152
check for bad caps perhaps.

Vintage gear is great. I've now a pair of Harman Kardon A401 and they are serious performers for speakers. The headphones out is a bit dull however.

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #146 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by jeffro
The good news is even with the hiss, this amp kicks my Meta's rear. I am getting sounds out of my Beyers that I have never heard before. I now know what real headphones should sound like, and I would like to thank everyone hear for that. Buying vintage gear can indeed be a gamble, but it is a rather inexpensive way to get huge sound out of headphones.

The 2220 (I have the "B") has an excellent headphone out. You should try it with analog--can't be beat.

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #147 of 152
Try any/all of the following:

Do you have any other audio component sitting on top of the receiver, or underneath it or nearby. I have experienced high frequency noise (hiss) when I placed a poorly shielded tuner with digital readouts on top of my Sansui integrated amplifier. Try powering off your CD player and see if the hiss stays the same.

Try disconnecting all sources from the receiver and see if the hiss is there on all selector settings. Ideally you should use a pair of RCA jacks that short the input, but even without these installed, the noise should be way below the level of the volume control setting where it is set when you listen to music.

Is the hiss affected by the setting of the volume control? With no source, turn up the volume slowly and see if the level of hiss changes.

Reverse the power plug where it goes into the wall outlet. Normally, this would help if there was a 60 cycle AC hum, but it is worth trying to hear if the hiss changes.

Switch your left and right inputs going into the Marantz. Does the hiss move to the other channel, or stay.

Move your inputs from AUX to Tuner or Tape. These are all high level inputs, so you can plug a CD source into any of these. See if the hiss is the same.

Unplug the receiver, open up the chassis again and apply some more cleaner spray (Radio Shack or Caig) to the selector switch, and especially the tape monitor push button switch.

Sep 16, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #148 of 152
The hiss is always audible. I have heard the hiss in the following situations:

Tuner, Aux and Phono
No sources plugged into or anywhere near the receiver

The hiss increases as I turn up the volume. It then decreases sharply at about 2 o'clock and then icreases at full volume.

When I switch left and right inputs, the hiss stays in the right channel. Moving the balance does nothing.

I will apply more cleaner to the selector switch and the tape monitor switch.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sep 16, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #149 of 152
Also apply a dose of cleaner spray to the volume control and the balance control. Then, to work the spray into the control rotate the volume control through its full range maybe 2 dozen times. Try same with the balance control.

If you have another amplifier and some spare connector cables, you can see if the noise is coming from your preamp circuit, volume control, or power amplifier section.

To test this, you need to patch the Tape-Out from the Marantz to one of the high level inputs of the second amplifier or receiver. See if the hiss is heard when listening to the input connected to the Marantz Tape Output. Normally, the Tape Out jacks of a receiver are directly connected to the line stage of the preamplifier section, and bypass the volume, balance, and tone controls.

If you hear the hiss when listening to the second amplifier, it is not in your volume, balance, or tone circuits, or power amplifier. If you don't,then at least you know it is localized to either your volume/tone control circuits or your power amplifier.

Based on what you have said about the volume control setting affecting the level of the hiss it is likely to be your volume control. It might be either very dirty, worn out, or both. If you need to replace the volume control, as a replacement should be easy to find, and not very expensive.

I currently have two 2220B units in storage, one is almost working, one is a parts unit only. I think the volume control is good on the parts unit, you are welcome to it if you decide you want to replace the volume control on your 2220.

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #150 of 152
Well I hooked up my other amp, and the noise is not coming from the Marantz preamp circuit.

I cleaned all the controls a couple of more times. Now the noise does follow the balance control. Each channel is perfectly quite when the balance is set to teh opposite channel

I think the volume control is worn out. I will try to replace it in the future.

Thanks for the diagnostic advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back