Vintage Amps
Jan 24, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #121 of 152
mkmelt is right. Make sure the person packs it correctly, or unfortunately you'll be the proud owner of a gigantic paperweight.

Good luck again.

Jan 24, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #122 of 152
Here's $.02 from 2

Don't underestimate those old Kenwood receivers! I have been around the vintage block several times myself and one of my favorite receivers is my Kenwood KR7600. It is a monster! Easily outperforms most of the gear that I own (Vintage and current!)
I still have a pretty respectable vintage collection, Marantz 2230B, Marantz Model 25, Kenwood KR7600, Pioneer SX525, SX680 and SX1250 Sansui AU505, AU 717.

Like I said, with the exception of the Marantz Model 26, The Kenwood is my favorit! They can be had on ebay for less than $100.00

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #123 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
Here's $.02 from 2

Don't underestimate those old Kenwood receivers! I have been around the vintage block several times myself and one of my favorite receivers is my Kenwood KR7600. It is a monster! Easily outperforms most of the gear that I own (Vintage and current!)
I still have a pretty respectable vintage collection, Marantz 2230B, Marantz Model 25, Kenwood KR7600, Pioneer SX525, SX680 and SX1250 Sansui AU505, AU 717.

Like I said, with the exception of the Marantz Model 26, The Kenwood is my favorit! They can be had on ebay for less than $100.00

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's one for sale now on ebay. The person wants $40 for shipping. It does look like a nice unit.

Kenwood KR7600

Edit: How's the headphone jack sound out of the Kenwood?

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #124 of 152
Thats the one!!!
It is indeed a beast...very heavy (I guess that explains the shipping. As I remember, the headphone jack sounds pretty good. I have a set of stax SR34 hooked up to the C speaker outputs so I don't use the headphone jack much... I'll listen to it tonight and report back.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #125 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by 2 channel
Thats the one!!!
It is indeed a beast...very heavy (I guess that explains the shipping. As I remember, the headphone jack sounds pretty good. I have a set of stax SR34 hooked up to the C speaker outputs so I don't use the headphone jack much... I'll listen to it tonight and report back.

"C" speakers? You mean that it has three loudspeaker connections?

I have the Stax SRX-MK IIIs--excellent sound for a headphone that's 25 years old.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #126 of 152
We discussed shipping today. I'm paying a little extra to for him to double box it and take the said precautions. Thanks again for all the info and help. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll let you know how it is when I it arrives.

FCJ - Did you ever have any luck with your 1060? I'd been eyeing a few of those up for auction, but when I saw the 2225 going for so cheap, I decided a receiver wouldn't be a bad find.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #127 of 152
Yep,
The speaker selection knob has 4 positions A B A+B or C I guess this is an early version of a multi-zone unit.

I'm tellin ya, best bang for the buck in the vintage market!

Jan 25, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #128 of 152
Quote:

Originally posted by ghostwheel
We discussed shipping today. I'm paying a little extra to for him to double box it and take the said precautions. Thanks again for all the info and help. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll let you know how it is when I it arrives.

FCJ - Did you ever have any luck with your 1060? I'd been eyeing a few of those up for auction, but when I saw the 2225 going for so cheap, I decided a receiver wouldn't be a bad find.

Yes, I actually have a 1060B integrated. Unfortunately, I'm not using it right now to drive my AKG K-1000s because I have the nOrh SE-9. It's a great amp, though--a lot lighter than my Marantz 2220B receiver.

Aug 21, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #129 of 152
My dad has had this receiver since the 70's and it works fairly well. (Although there is a problem with one channel that seems to be more of a cleanliness thing than anything else. It goes in and out most of the time...anyone knows about this please let me know). But I was just wondering if it would do any good to start building a system around this amp for headphone listening in my room. I really don't have loads of money to spend and was wondering if with a decent cd source it could drive any type of headphones I would want to try out and if the sound quality would be good. thanks and hopefully this thread will be at least semi-resurrected.

Aug 21, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #130 of 152
Your father's Marantz 2230 receiver can be the control center of a very nice system. The 2230 uses the same amplifier as the highly regarded Marantz model 1060 integrated amplifier. The 2230 can be used with any dynamic (non-electrostatic) headphone made today and will work especially well with the higher impedance headphones from manufacturers such as Sennheiser and AKG.

The 2230 had a suggested retail price of $350 back in 1972. In equivalent dollars, the 2230 would cost more than $1,500 to build and market today.

You would have to spend hundreds of dollars today to get a dedicated solid state headphone amplifier that would sound better than the Marantz. Also, the dedicated headphone amplifiers generally only have one or at most two high level inputs, no phono stage, no tone controls, and no AM/FM tuner as does the 2230.

The reason one channel keeps cutting out is probably that the contacts on one or more of the push button switches are dirty. This is usually easy and inexpensive to fix. You will need a can of compressed air, such as Dust-Off. You can get this at any office supply superstore, computer store, Best Buys, or Radio Shack. Radio Shack also sells a can of tuner cleaner spray for about $8. You will need this cleaner spray to complete the following steps.

First step, unplug the receiver from the wall outlet.

Then remove the screws holding the cover in place and remove the cover.

Carry the unit outside or into the garage for the next step. Once outside the house, use the can of compressed air to blow out all of the dust inside the chassis and the from around and inside the buttons, controls, and switches.

Once you have blown out any dust you see, you take the tuner cleaner spray, attach the extension nozzle to the can and and spray each control, switch, and button with one or two quick blasts from the spray can

Then work each control for a minute, working the spray into the contact surfaces.

Note: To get to some of the switches and controls, the bottom plate may also have to be removed.

Wait about 15 minutes before plugging the unit back into the power outlet. Test all controls for smooth and silent operation. Some controls may require a second treatment before they start to operate smoothly and with minimal static.

Unplug the receiver to reinstall the bottom plate and the case, and your 2230 receiver should be good to go for many more years. For best FM performance, you may want to have the FM tuner I.F. stages realigned as these can drift out of alignment over time. This can be done by most electronics repair shops for under $50.

The most problem prone part on these old Marantz units is the power switch. If your switch still works, good, just don't use it all the time to turn the unit on and off. Get a power strip/surge protector and use the switch on this strip to power the Marantz unit on and off.

Good luck with your Marantz 2230.

Aug 22, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #131 of 152
Thanks a lot mkmelt! I will definitely let you know how it works out if I do end up creating my system from the receiver (my dad's permission
confused.gif
). I have some eggos with me...you would recommend some headphones with higher impedance? Also, my dad just found the original receipt from his marantz purchase. He bought it along with a pioneer turntable (which he still has and i use it all the time...though i don't know anything about its sound quality) and some cerwin vega speakers which were utterly and completely blown out about eight years ago. He bought the receiver for 199.95 in '74. Also, I just found an old Sansui receiver in my garage and was wondering if you knew anything about the quality of those receivers if they were good at all.

Aug 22, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #132 of 152
Yes, the Sansui gear is also generally very good, although getting parts for the older units can be difficult. What model Sansui receiver did you stumble upon? I grew up listening to a model 5000A.

Aug 22, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #133 of 152
I just hooked up the Sansui and its a stereotuner amplifier 2000x. Solid state. I tried pluggin in my cd portable to it and listen through the headphone out and it sounded great but only on one channel with lots of crackling in and out. Seems to be not in very great shape. Do you know anything about this model and if its worth messing around with it (repairing, investing, etc.). I found out it used to be my uncle's and knowing my uncle he wouldn't get anything that is very terrible.

Aug 22, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #134 of 152
I just found a 2000x in my garage today and was playing with it only its not in very good condition it seems. One channel seems to be gone. Is there any easy first steps to take to remedy this if you know? But from your initial impressions it seems to be something I should definitely keep. If there is anything more you can say about the 2000x i would really appreciate it.

Aug 22, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #135 of 152
didnt mean to start a new thread sorry....But just wanted to ask if anybody new any info on a Sansui 2000x amplifier. It's from the seventies I believe and I was interested in whether or not I can start a headphone system in my room with this amp. As written above it does have some problems that I would like to investigate or at least find out if this amp is really worth saving or trying to save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back