Vinshine Audio DAC R2R-REF w/ soekris
Nov 22, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #46 of 123
Alvin, 

Can you confirm which firmware our DACs have? Are these filters usable with our firmware? I have not had a chance to look at mine but the procedure looks simple enough. I will just need to order a serial adapter. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #48 of 123
Been burning in my dac over the past two weeks. Sounds better each day with my new headphone.

Bought a nice pelican 1300 case from the US to save keep it, nice !

1479913360248.jpg

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #49 of 123
The verdict is in. I've had the Intona Industrial USB Isolator plugged in and the DAC on for a week now. After many red book, high res PCM, and DSD tracks, the Intona has got to go. It absolutely ruins this DAC for me. I am truly mystified by this. Perhaps the isolator is more suited to a DAC that is powered by the USB 5VDC supply. I think this indicates that the Vinshine DAC-R2R REF has a worthy USB implementation and not a bad omen for the Intona Isolator. To my ears the Intona Isolator ruined the sound staging. The instruments and tones were smeared together and not clearly defined. Subtle dynamics were often overshadowed by louder passages which seemed louder than they should be anyway. I really am confused by this. Overall just a really bad presentation. The impact was much greater than I anticipated. Everything about the sound was just wrong.

Signal chain is as follows
  1. Shunyata PS8 Power strip
    1. Shunyata Defender A/C pixie cleaner
    2. Shunyata Venom HC power cable
  2. Raspberry Pi 3
    1. Archphile & MPD
    2. Jay's Audio 5V LPS
    3. Anker Powerline+ 1ft USB to power the RPi
    4. Schiit PYST USB
  3. Intona Industrial USB Isolator
    1. Schiit PYST USB 
  4. Vinshine DAC-R2R REF
    1. Generic Monoprice 1ft 12AWG power cable
    2. Nordost Red Dawn Balanced Interconnect
  5. Audio-GD Master 10
    1. DIY power cable Neotech NEP-3003 13AWG PC-OCC cable & Neotech IEC
  6. Ixos 11AWG OFC speaker cable
    1. Parts Express spades with CF and brass barrel
  7. Focal Electra 1028 Be2 speakers
  8. Some 2x4' acoustic panels & egg crate foam on the walls

This isn't the highest of Hi-Fi systems, but it performs quite well. It definitely performs better without the Intona Isolator. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #50 of 123
Thanks for the report, Greg.  Appreciate it!
You are too humble; your system is much better than mine!  I should investigate this again in December, when I have more time...

But I have to agree that the Vinshine DAC is performing very well, packs a punch above its price.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #51 of 123
Just successfully uploaded oneoclocks filter pack and am auditioning (F6 minimum ) "quasiNOS" C128dp Linear Phase filter, Paul.
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2015/11/soekris-r2r-dam-dac.html
this guide was needed in addition to the original one I posted http://www.dimdim.gr/2015/02/soekris-r-2r-firmware-upgrade/
took me a while to realize the command to change filters to the third filter in the pack was just set filter = minimum

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #53 of 123
things sound louder.. not sure if it's just a gain difference in the filter or things are really more powerful sounding.. gotta try newNOS filter next

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #54 of 123
wow the difference is pretty subtle.  it's hard to hear a difference between filters.. I feel like during the song Lorde - Royals at 1m - 1m30sec I can hear the backup singers vocals slightly clearer with the c128 filter.. so I'm gonna stick with it
edit:  I was using speakers to audition..  I'll try using hd800 instead tomorrow.. might be able to hear more differences

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #57 of 123
Nice choice, I like the wide soundstage of my hd800 but I miss planar driver bass from my old he-560..  I'm a speaker guy now though

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #58 of 123
  The verdict is in. I've had the Intona Industrial USB Isolator plugged in and the DAC on for a week now. After many red book, high res PCM, and DSD tracks, the Intona has got to go

I don't get this. Now, why would you want to isolate a signal that is already isolated in the first place in the soekris r2r-dac? Like, you don't have to turn off the lights twice. It doesn't get any darker doing that.

Btw. Paul has his own filter site called moredamfilters. Hasn't been active for quite a while though.

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #59 of 123
well doubling up seems to work for reclockers like regen and jitterbug, so it was worth a try :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back