Vinshine Audio DAC R2R-REF w/ soekris
Nov 13, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 123
alvin I'm too scared to test this.  Does the headphone output still work if I set it to fixed output?   I'm trying out the hd800 for the first time.. mids and treble good.. bass is strong but slightly thumpy.  I've heard that usually means you need to burn in the amp/caps more so I'm gonna let it burn in a while before doing more testing.  Will put on the new footers tonight though.  Just for looks

edit:  the headphone amp is definitely resolving because I can hear hte noise floor of old or low quality recordings but modern stuff is black background as it should be

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 123
The headphone amp is disabled @ Fixed mode, not only does it protect your headphone, more importantly to protect your hearing.

Yep your first impression resembled a lot of mine and others impression of this DAC, the bass is slightly prominent compared to mid and treble at start. These will eventually balanced out with very nice harmony coherent after burning in for approx 100hrs.

Resolution is also one of the highlight along with its superior natural sounds.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #33 of 123
headphone amp disabled in fixed mode is a great feature, that's exactly what I hoped

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 123
Tonight's work.  Done mainly for looks!  The top and bottom half of the footers are connected by a little ceramic ball in cup, I guess it's the same isolation as a spike but no fears of scratching my furniture.  I did that once with a speaker amp, doh.  Torx t-15 tip.  Had to switch from tiny precision screwdriver to full size because the stock feet were very securely screwed in.  Stock feet are actually already pretty nice, black aluminum with a rubber ring on bottom.  This is my first time swapping feet.  Finite Element ceraball clones

to show the gap created by the ceramic ball

my friend strongly suggested I redo them this way

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #35 of 123
Finally did enough cable management that I'm comfortable taking a picture. :) Dynamics, depth, detail, sound stage, timbre; the Vinshine DAC-R2R-REF is doing a lot of things I really like!! The Devialet Expert Pro 220 is an incredible piece of equipment, but the Vinshine and Audio-GD Master 10 combo is my preference so far. I will share more detailed thoughts after I spend some more time with it.

Edit. Head-Fi, why do you make my photos so small? :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #39 of 123
Thanks uncola!

I like to keep my gears in original condition, lets see how it turns out. Just hook up the HD800 to the DAC, it's good! The projection of the sound is so-much-so like a pair of loudspeaker! 
Some commented that HD800 lack of bass, i find it just right!

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 123
I spent some time at my local Hi-Fi shop with my Vinshine DAC-R2R REF (About $1,600). This is not really a review, just a brain dump of my thoughts. I listened to a lot of DSD and some high-res PCM files fed by an Aurender N10 ($8,000) with Shunyata Venom USB ($125). A couple songs were streamed in 16/44.1 from Tidal. This DAC sounds really nice with DSD so I find myself listening to a lot of it. The stereo was setup with my personal favorite components which I have spent a lot of time with. Focal Sopra 2.0 speakers ($14,000), Constellation Audio Inspiration 1.0 preamp ($9,900), Constellation Audio Inspiration Stereo 1.0 amp ($11,000). Cables were Analysis Plus Ultimate Power Oval ($1,975), Solo Crystal Oval balanced interconnects ($913), and Solo Crystal 8 speaker cables ($3,400 in this length). The Constellation Audio stuff was connected via their "direct" interconnection method which bypasses an additional gain stage from the power amp. I think this was an MIT interconnect but I did not pay close attention. Everything electronic is supplied with spic-n-span, squeaky-clean power from a Shunyata Hydra Triton V2 power conditioner ($6,000 ish) The other two DACs were plugged in with Shunyata Alpha power cables. I put Magico Q-Pods underneath the Vinshine not because I thought it would be helpful, but because they were sitting right there. 
redface.gif

DAC competition was MSB The Analog DAC with analog volume control (not used in this situation), upgraded power base, and premium quad rate DSD module. In this configuration it comes in at an MSRP of $12,580. The second DAC compared was the Aqua La Scala MKII DAC ($6,600). This one is very new to me. I'd only heard it once before. However, I've spent a lot of time with The Analog DAC from MSB, as well as their Platinum DAC IV, and even a brief listen to the Select DAC II. 

The Vinshine DAC-R2R REF provides a sound character that only a resistor ladder DAC can achieve. There is simply no comparison to a delta-sigma DAC. To my ears and from my experience, an R2R DAC gives a much more believable sound. The timbre of instruments is more natural, the imaging is more realistic, and the overall presentation sounds more like there are real people playing real instruments in my living room. That is what I want from a high end sound system. I included the pricing of the pieces used in this comparison because I feel that the DAC-R2R REF gets me very near my desired level of "believable" for much less than you would expect. Was it better than the MSB? Not at all. Was it better than the Aqua? Not quite, but I would not give up the Vinshine for the Aqua. Despite its relatively low price, the Vinshine DAC-R2R REF was very comfortable to step up to the plate next to these heavy hitters.

The DAC-R2R REF has great timbre, excellent timing, and very good sound staging. However, the MSB Analog DAC exhibited superb sound staging and even better timbre. The Aqua La Scala had a little bit better sound stage than the DAC-R2R REF, but otherwise did not do much for my tastes. There are also some issues with its USB implementation. While the Vinshine did not win this shootout, I never expected it to. I only wanted to reinforce the fact that I've found a DAC that will give me that excellent "believable" sound that I have been searching for. The other DACs present the R2R sound, but with just a few more tweaks and improvements at a substantial cost premium. The results of this shootout allow me to conclude that I need to trade my Focal Electra 1028 Be2 speakers in for Focal Sopra 2.0. 
biggrin.gif
 Now I only need to decide the right color. 

I received an Intona Industrial USB isolator the day before I did this listening test. I am not sure if I like what the Intona is doing to the DAC-R2R REF yet. I will need more time to decide. It seems to make everything sound very "forward" and less dynamic. This is really confusing to me, so I want to give it some more time before I form a real opinion on it.

Sorry for the potato quality photos. All I had on me was my Iphone. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #41 of 123
Nice post, Greg!  I am glad that you are enjoying the DAC, and doing comparisons with really neat hi-end gear.

Interestingly, my Intona (non-industrial version) made the soundstage deeper, quite the opposite with your initial impressions.  I also found that the imaging and separation improved. 

I am melting with good PCM recordings (even 16/44 ones) on the Vinshine DAC too...  I need to spend more time and play some DSD files too. 

Looking forward to more posts from fellow Headfi'ers when they receive their units. 

Cheers and thanks to Alvin for coming up with this amazing gear!

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #42 of 123
Taz23, I am honestly very confused by how my Intona USB Isolator is changing the sound of the Vinshine DAC. I tried it with the MSB Analog DAC (using their thoughtfully engineered USB module) and it did make an improvement. It was minor, but I felt like the instrumentation and sound stage was separated more and more well defined.

So far with my Vinshine DAC, The Intona Industrial USB Isolator makes vocals sound like they are blasting right in front of my face. It almost feels like I have a 3 channel setup in front of me with Left, Right, and Center. There is less of a difference between the loud and soft parts of a recording. Without the Intona Isolator, I get great dynamics, a very smooth and detailed presentation, and a really nice soundstage with great depth. 

I'm hoping the isolator just needs some time to burn in. I'm keeping the DAC powered on and the isolator connected when not in use. Hopefully it will settle in. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #43 of 123
Guys,

The fun part is yet to be discovered! Start playing with the filters, I'm impressed by the scalability of this Soekris DAC!
The serial port is accessible from the rear panel, you need a usb to serial converter, extraPutty terminal software and some basic computer skill to get started. 

USB-Serial Converter: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Serial-RS-232-Converter-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1479777024&sr=8-3&keywords=rs-232+usb
Filter discussion thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/269776-filter-brewing-soekris-r2r-133.html#post4729771

I'm using "quasiNOS" C128dp Linear Phase filter, the improvement is substantial  
biggrin.gif

Ciao 

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #44 of 123
  I spent some time at my local Hi-Fi shop with my Vinshine DAC-R2R REF (About $1,600). This is not really a review, just a brain dump of my thoughts. I listened to a lot of DSD and some high-res PCM files fed by an Aurender N10 ($8,000) with Shunyata Venom USB ($125). A couple songs were streamed in 16/44.1 from Tidal. This DAC sounds really nice with DSD so I find myself listening to a lot of it. The stereo was setup with my personal favorite components which I have spent a lot of time with. Focal Sopra 2.0 speakers ($14,000), Constellation Audio Inspiration 1.0 preamp ($9,900), Constellation Audio Inspiration Stereo 1.0 amp ($11,000). Cables were Analysis Plus Ultimate Power Oval ($1,975), Solo Crystal Oval balanced interconnects ($913), and Solo Crystal 8 speaker cables ($3,400 in this length). The Constellation Audio stuff was connected via their "direct" interconnection method which bypasses an additional gain stage from the power amp. I think this was an MIT interconnect but I did not pay close attention. Everything electronic is supplied with spic-n-span, squeaky-clean power from a Shunyata Hydra Triton V2 power conditioner ($6,000 ish) The other two DACs were plugged in with Shunyata Alpha power cables. I put Magico Q-Pods underneath the Vinshine not because I thought it would be helpful, but because they were sitting right there. 
redface.gif

DAC competition was MSB The Analog DAC with analog volume control (not used in this situation), upgraded power base, and premium quad rate DSD module. In this configuration it comes in at an MSRP of $12,580. The second DAC compared was the Aqua La Scala MKII DAC ($6,600). This one is very new to me. I'd only heard it once before. However, I've spent a lot of time with The Analog DAC from MSB, as well as their Platinum DAC IV, and even a brief listen to the Select DAC II. 

The Vinshine DAC-R2R REF provides a sound character that only a resistor ladder DAC can achieve. There is simply no comparison to a delta-sigma DAC. To my ears and from my experience, an R2R DAC gives a much more believable sound. The timbre of instruments is more natural, the imaging is more realistic, and the overall presentation sounds more like there are real people playing real instruments in my living room. That is what I want from a high end sound system. I included the pricing of the pieces used in this comparison because I feel that the DAC-R2R REF gets me very near my desired level of "believable" for much less than you would expect. Was it better than the MSB? Not at all. Was it better than the Aqua? Not quite, but I would not give up the Vinshine for the Aqua. Despite its relatively low price, the Vinshine DAC-R2R REF was very comfortable to step up to the plate next to these heavy hitters.

The DAC-R2R REF has great timbre, excellent timing, and very good sound staging. However, the MSB Analog DAC exhibited superb sound staging and even better timbre. The Aqua La Scala had a little bit better sound stage than the DAC-R2R REF, but otherwise did not do much for my tastes. There are also some issues with its USB implementation. While the Vinshine did not win this shootout, I never expected it to. I only wanted to reinforce the fact that I've found a DAC that will give me that excellent "believable" sound that I have been searching for. The other DACs present the R2R sound, but with just a few more tweaks and improvements at a substantial cost premium. The results of this shootout allow me to conclude that I need to trade my Focal Electra 1028 Be2 speakers in for Focal Sopra 2.0. 
biggrin.gif
 Now I only need to decide the right color. 

I received an Intona Industrial USB isolator the day before I did this listening test. I am not sure if I like what the Intona is doing to the DAC-R2R REF yet. I will need more time to decide. It seems to make everything sound very "forward" and less dynamic. This is really confusing to me, so I want to give it some more time before I form a real opinion on it.

Sorry for the potato quality photos. All I had on me was my Iphone. 

Thanks for the review.I would argue that delta-sigma is probably not inferior when done well,have you heard the Esoteric Grandioso,the DCS Vivaldi,the top Antelope,Berkeley,Gryphon and TAD convertors?I admit i haven't,but they are certainly highly regarded.

I would be interested in a comparison with the Holo and the Directstream.Or with a turntable in the same price range.I wasnt very impressed with the DAVE,but i heard it via headphones only.I agree,the MSB Select sounds incredible,but it is more expensive than my flat.

I dont perceive a difference with my industrial Intona,but i rarely listen to digital these days.It would take something really special,which doesn't cost a bomb to make me go back.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #45 of 123
Tonight I'll try loading Paul's filters. I bought a USB to serial adapter about 16 months ago when I thought I was smart enough to build my own soekris dac(I was wrong) hehe
edit: whoops, my usb to serial is TTL with 4 pins on one end.. since alvin went to the trouble of providing a real serial port I decided to get a real adapter.. this one with FTDI chipset seems to have whql signed driver that was updated recently so decided to get this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/322235306862

edit 2: here's the firmware/filter upgrade instructions I found easiest to follow
http://www.dimdim.gr/2015/02/soekris-r-2r-firmware-upgrade/
and here's the actual post with pauls filters http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/269776-filter-brewing-soekris-r2r-133.html#post4729771
here's the place to download the newest firmware 1.06, but I think it's already installed on our dacs http://soekris.dk/download.html
to avoid confusion, the all in one 1.06 package contains 1.06 uc firmware, 1.05 filters and 1.05 fpga firmware in it. there's no 1.05 of the filter or fpga

grr now I have to wait a few days for my adapter to arrive. priidik on another forum says pauls filters are a nice improvement..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back