Viliv P3 and Cowon J3 details and comparisons thread (and also Cowon D3 as well)
Jun 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LiveAndLetDie

Head-Fier
The only thing that's stopping me from buying a Cowon J3 is that a more complete (with WiFi, Android, etc) is approaching the market, the Viliv P3. Only concerns about it is its sound quality, is it worthy (and its SRS) to be even called a contender to the almighty Cowon (and its BBE) in terms of SQ? Both have AMOLED and feature-wise,i think the J3 seems to be malnourished compared to the P3 (Viliv, not Samsung).

How about the Cowon D3, rumor has it that it will be running on Android OS, and whatever it will be, any news on it guys?

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 11
J3 is less full featured, yes. Battery life is supposed to be superb, though. This is because it is less full featured (and has a slower processor).
That's about the only reason, except for SQ, which is yet to be heard on the Viliv P3, that one would get the J3 over Viliv P3.

The D3 seems very elusive. I just searched it, and got a ton of stories from Jan 2008, speculating that it would be released in early 2009. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, with that one.

J3 seems very much in the last 'gen' of PMPs which play FLAC/DivX. The Viliv P3 has more impressive video support (as a result, no doubt, of it's screen + processor), and features to legitimately compete with the Zune / iPod Touch. If a good media player is implemented (I've heard mixed things about the stock android player), then it's looking great. As long as they are priced competitively with the iPods and Zunes that are current at the time (preferably lower), then I predict that it'll be successful. Also, since I don't want to buy a data plan, it would be awesome to have an android device, so I can look into developing for that platform.

I think I'm going to wait a bit until this thing (Viliv P3) comes out. I've waited this long for the J3, and it won't kill me (I hope) to wait a few months more for the P3. Here's hoping my Zune30 won't die during the wait.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 11
yes, that's right, but even the reported battery life of the Viliv P3 is not that bad, for it's capabilities. I believe the iPod touch and the Zune are well defeated by the P3 knowing that it supports a LOT of video formats and lossy formats for music as well. And I believe I've read somewhere that the P3 supports Flash and Java, I think that will be big. Oh, and AMOLED too, which I liked so much in the S9 and J3.

Comparing it(P3) to the J3 seems to remain blank as nobody yet gets to judge the SQ capabilities of the P3, but I think it's not that forgotten though, they even bothered to put SRS enhancers on it. Hope there's good quality chips in there to complete everything. Well, as you have said, as long as they will be priced competitively among the 3 devices, then I think this will be getting a lot of love. Just no news on their plan on when they are going to release it internationally, or do they have a plan?
tongue.gif

Yeah, the very elusive D3 is really bound to be released in early 2009 from what I've read, but I think they will be rushing it now since somebody just raised (i think) the standards in PMP making. If the P3 ended up having terrific (or acceptable) SQ, and a very reasonable and competitive price, then the J3 has nothing else to boast except its design, and its place in the audiophile's hearts.
darthsmile.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 11
A little update based on some very basic searching I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJiTCNKTxZA&feature=player_embedded

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmyviliv.com%2Fv4%2Fproduct%2Fp3%2Fp3.asp&sl=auto&tl=en

Based on this, we can see the music player is decent, in the Windows CE mode, at least, but not great (at least the usability of stuff like 'All Songs' doesn't look that great compared to ZuneHD/iPod implementation).

There appears to be a very extensive user-definable EQ, in addition to preset stuff.

No physical buttons for play/pause :frowning2: however, there's a hold, and volume rocker, as far as I can tell. If there's a nice implementation for pause or next track using the buttons on the face of the device, I'll be a happy camper.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 11
yeah, the Windows CE appears to be the base OS of the Viliv P3, with the Android only as a "me-too" feature. I don't quite like the feature in which the album arts appear side by side (what's that called again?) on the P3, they seem to try their best to imitate the iPod touch, how about being the original like Cowon, Viliv?

For those who doesn't know, the Viliv P3 can dual boot to either Windows CE and Android. But the Android one is very limited in terms of support for formats for audio and video,example is, if i remember correctly, the P3 does support lossless types like but only in Windows CE mode.

The external buttons really are a big help and that might sway me a little on the P3. Hope that the touch screen on the P3 is as good OR even better than the one on the J3, which (i think, and a lot thinks too) is made of Corning's Gorilla glass, don't know if that's true or what.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 11
just to inform that Viliv P3 is already released, retail price for korean is around US$375 for the 32gb version and US$305 for the 16gb version. All of them are DMB version and looks like there will be no non-DMB version at the moment.

i think i am not interested anymore with Viliv P3 because of the built-in DMB which will increase the cost of unit but the feature is useless for us that live outside of korea

Specification:
- Screen Size: 3.7" (bigger than itouch?)
- AMOLED screen
- support external memory card T-flash/Micro SD
- internal storage 8gb/16gb/32gb
- Wi-Fi
- DMB/DAB
- TV out
- Dimensional: 62x116x9.8mm (105gram)
- Radio FM tunner 
- SRS WOW, custom EQ
- Dictionary
- Audio Sensitivity 95dB, Power 25mW
- Battery life: 31 hours for music
- Auto rotate (G-sensor??)
- HD 720p
- Dual OS; Windows CE and Android

Support Format:

Windows mode:
-Video: avi, mkv, asf(wmv), mpg, mp4, TP, TS, mov, flv, ogm
-Audio: mp3, aac, oog, wav, wma, mp4, flac, ape
- Support E-Book

Android mode:
- Video: avi, mkv, asf(wmv), mp4, mov, flv
- Audio: mp4, aac, oog, wav, wma, mp4

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 11
good info there a_tumiwa. So there's still the useless DMB for the non-korean versions eh? well I think the pricing's not too bad at all considering that almost everything's on there. If only there is version which is non- DMB then how good can the pricing get? Still waiting for the news on the SQ though, but I think iPod touch and Zune fanatics should be well aware of what they're missing now, LOL.(well, I'm an iPod touch user, so BOO).
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 11
I really like the fact the Viliv P3 will have a microSD Card Slot and a standard microUSB connection.

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Does any one know if it will be possible to get a Line-Out or Digital signal out of the Viliv P3 Prime? I was wondering mainly because the Viliv S5 can output digital. If you can help, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back