Victor HA-FW10000: 10th Anniversary model
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,008 of 1,217
So there’s a big difference between fw10k & fw1800 in terms of technicality. Signature are quite similar with fw1800 being heavier on mid and sub bass, generally warmer than fw10k. Although they share the same driver, it could be the dimension and material used on the internal housing that caused the difference. The sound stage, detail, separation and airiness definitely goes to fw10k. Fw1800 to me seems like a merge of the pros on fd01 & fw01, and fw10k is the deluxe live version with its own distinctive character. They both have the “wood” timbre for sure but presented in a different way.

Personally I never tried or owned any CA products other than tried Solaris (gold faceplate) a couple of times. Technicality is better on the Solaris, but in terms of listening experience, I prefer fw10k any time of the day. I cannot stand the hollow mids and scratching highs of the Solaris. Solaris has a lot of bass quantity which is good for some music genres, and the holographic sound stage is superb. However, the overall presentation to me sounded “artificial”, bass and mids displayed incoherency to my ears. Simply speaking I’m not a fan of Solaris (gold faceplate ver.) despite I almost blind purchased because of the hype during that time, and luckily I got to demoed it first.
I did not bother with any other releases of their ver. update from then on.
Fw10k is natural, in harmony between the frequencies and the music I choose to listen to. I’m not saying fw10k is perfect, in fact there are quite a few things I dislike such as sound stage head room, depth, lack of body, not enough bass(quantity, not quality). Most important of all though, I loved its timbre, and how it presents its sound in quite a number of tunes that I usually listen to, and actually enjoy them.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,009 of 1,217
I bought Oslo for fw10k when it was out don’t work for me and I sold it right away. The sparkle on the treble and the “laziness” of the signature turned me off bad...

Anyway, my suggestion is before you dive into the fun of cable swapping, maybe put your dap into consideration first is a solid choice of improvement, I think that’s more worthwhile. Cable only do so much, It can slightly enhance, but not to turn your phones into something else.

Back to the cable, you can try str7 ref. 4wire as one of my mate bought it for fw10k that find them as perfect companion to each other. Much cheaper in terms of price against yatono 4w too! Another alternative is the str7 8w(Brise audio stay home project: shp-001) darker background, wider stage, deeper bass without loosing details and the phone sig. itself, roughly double the price of its 4w version and closer to the price of yatono 4w.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm using Sp1000m gold as my dap, and I think the stock cable with ak should be fine enough but just want it to be a little warmer. Ak's daps are very neutral and kind of lean, but I think that having a different cable should do the trick. I've listened to my friend's Han Sound Aegis cable on beyer T1, and I think the cable definitely make it sounds warmer in the way I like. I'm not saying I don't like ak's player, it's totally awesome but just want to try out new things sometimes. Another reason for after-market cable is I think a balanced cable should make FW10k sounds even better. If I can buy Yatono 4w, I don't think there's reason for me to buy a cheaper one instead. I'd always want to get a expensive one, which, in my opinion, should be better. But is it worth the price? I don't know, man. After all, when a technical stuff reaches a certain level point, you pay a lot more to get a little improvements. :)

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,010 of 1,217
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm using Sp1000m gold as my dap, and I think the stock cable with ak should be fine enough but just want it to be a little warmer. Ak's daps are very neutral and kind of lean, but I think that having a different cable should do the trick. I've listened to my friend's Han Sound Aegis cable on beyer T1, and I think the cable definitely make it sounds warmer in the way I like. I'm not saying I don't like ak's player, it's totally awesome but just want to try out new things sometimes. Another reason for after-market cable is I think a balanced cable should make FW10k sounds even better. If I can buy Yatono 4w, I don't think there's reason for me to buy a cheaper one instead. I'd always want to get a expensive one, which, in my opinion, should be better. But is it worth the price? I don't know, man. After all, when a technical stuff reaches a certain level point, you pay a lot more to get a little improvements. :)

Understand your concern. The reason why I suggested str7 ref or str7 ref 8w is the sound sig. from using those cable with fw10k. Yatono 4w maybe too bright to some on the treble, as yatono 4w (non rh2+ version) enhances all frequency where as str7 ref and its 8wire version (which sounds better to my ears btw) focused more on mids and low rather than high. If you feel comfortable with yatono 4w’s price, then I suggest you try out the str7 ref 8w first as they are priced similarly. My best bet is to try them both and compare them.

I have yatono 8w in possession but it’s a little overwhelming for fw10k. I generally use it for my other iems that requires all frequency boost. As for my fw10k, I’m building a cable them myself. Just a little diy project during this “stay home” period of time. If successful, will post it here for anyone that’s interested to know.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #1,011 of 1,217
I've said it before and I will say it again. From my experience, the original cable is still the best pairing for the FW10K. The FW10K out of the Calyx M's SE out sound a thousand times better than out of the BAL output of the ZX300 with the Sony Kimber cable. Seriously, if you have these IEMs and you dropped 1.6K on them, do yourself a favour and spend 300$ on the Calyx M, it's just the best pairing you can imagine. You get all that beautiful balance and airiness of the FW10K but meaty and full, it's just such a joy. I've had these two together for months now and I still go "Oh wow..." every time I turn the music on them.

This DAP literally changed my way of looking at the whole SE vs BAL discussion.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,012 of 1,217

It will likely depend on the properties of the amp used. In my case, I'm using a Sony TA-ZH1ES, and compared stock cable SE output vs. Sony Kimber (which you recommend against) BAL output, and the sound properties out of the FW10k are the same, except that with the balanced cable it can get more power and can thus be driven more efficiently. I've gone back and forth between the two and see no reason to go back to the stock cable (which has the additional advantage of not being as easy to distinguish L/R, since you the letters on the casing and cable connectors are very small, or you have to rely on feeling the small dot on the L connector).

So again, it comes down to the properties of the gear in use, not that one particular output type or amp is inherently superior.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,013 of 1,217
I've said it before and I will say it again. From my experience, the original cable is still the best pairing for the FW10K. The FW10K out of the Calyx M's SE out sound a thousand times better than out of the BAL output of the ZX300 with the Sony Kimber cable. Seriously, if you have these IEMs and you dropped 1.6K on them, do yourself a favour and spend 300$ on the Calyx M, it's just the best pairing you can imagine. You get all that beautiful balance and airiness of the FW10K but meaty and full, it's just such a joy. I've had these two together for months now and I still go "Oh wow..." every time I turn the music on them.

I looked up for the Calyx-m. I think the Calyx-m was very successful at making background black. Speaking of black background, I think Torfa, Han Sound's new flagship cable, is really good at making background black, thus results a better and sharper imaging. I suppose Torfa would match FW10k really well. I'm planning to demo it if I ever have a chance. :)

Here's the review of Han Sound Torfa: https://www.headfonia.com/hansound-torfa-review/

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,014 of 1,217
Yes, blackest background I've ever heard.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #1,015 of 1,217
Any thoughts on the new HA-FW1800? It uses the same driver as the HA-FW10000, and is much less expensive.

https://drop.com/buy/jvc-ha-fw1800-iem-drop-exclusive

Both IEMs have caught my interest, but JVC's IEMs still seem a bit too niche, with a small dedicated fanbase, no widespread acclaim, and some strong critics. Their peculiar frequency response (which I've experienced with the FDX1) also makes me skeptical. The FW1800 may be a less expensive expensive risk though.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #1,016 of 1,217
with a small dedicated fanbase, no widespread acclaim

Maybe in the West, but in Japan they're both very popular and highly acclaimed.

The FW10000 has been winning its price bracket category of the VGP awards. Last one it got the highest (gold) award in its price bracket again: http://vgp.phileweb.com/vgp2020/category.html#cate24

The JVC HA-FD01, FD02, FX77X, and MX100-Z all got an award in their respective price brackets as well.

At kakaku, the rankings for satisfaction rate for phones of all types have several JVCs on the top 50, including the Wood FW7 (#13), Solidege FD2 (#15), FX77X (#27), FW02 (#31), FW01 (#34):
https://kakaku.com/kaden/headphones/ranking_2046/rating/

The tuning on the FW10000 is supposed to be different (and superior) to that of the FDX1, perhaps the FW1800 will have a similar tuning to that of the flagship since they share some tech.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,017 of 1,217
Interesting feedback. Thanks.

I wonder if there’s a different perception or taste in frequency response in Japan. I suspect preference could vary by culture.

Maybe in the West, but in Japan they're both very popular and highly acclaimed.

The FW10000 has been winning its price bracket category of the VGP awards. Last one it got the highest (gold) award in its price bracket again: http://vgp.phileweb.com/vgp2020/category.html#cate24

The JVC HA-FD01, FD02, FX77X, and MX100-Z all got an award in their respective price brackets as well.

At kakaku, the rankings for satisfaction rate for phones of all types have several JVCs on the top 50, including the Wood FW7 (#13), Solidege FD2 (#15), FX77X (#27), FW02 (#31), FW01 (#34):
https://kakaku.com/kaden/headphones/ranking_2046/rating/

The tuning on the FW10000 is supposed to be different (and superior) to that of the FDX1, perhaps the FW1800 will have a similar tuning to that of the flagship since they share some tech.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,019 of 1,217
Today I went to try OC Frozen and OC Caelus with QDC Fusion and LPGT. (I didn't bring my FW10000 to try) I think OC Frozen + TCGP mmcx + Furutech Carbon Plug might be the one of the good match for FW10000. Sweet vocal with texture, precise vocal/instruments positioning, fast response bass.
20200730 OC Frozen Caelus Try 480p.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,020 of 1,217
FW10K owners, what are the full sized cans you've heard that sound closest to the FW10K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back