vibro veritas, measuring our IEMs like a pro with amateur budget.
Jan 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #61 of 110
Ok, so then is it just a case of doing some maths to work out what 85db is?

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #62 of 110
ideally you'd set 200mv in a resistor of the value of the IEM, or with the IEM itself, because the voltage unloaded might not be exactly the same loaded. but in my case in practice it's often a small variation and it didn't really impact the results on what I tried(but then again I haven't tried that meany gears).

now what I warned you about before and seemed like it was poorly explained(as always ^_^), try to find a device where the maxed out voltage is known, and check that you read the right value with a 1khz tone on your multimeter(or at least close by, again the specs might not be unloaded).  and if not try a lower frequency tone.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #63 of 110
for voltage variation to db http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm

in REW or whatever you'll use, once you're done, you can stick to 0.2V and the ER4, and simply calibrate that way and write the db value you see on your er4 certificate if your multimeter is fine with the 1khz tone.
and boom you have a coupler with the loudness calibrated at 1khz. \o/  professionallllll.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #64 of 110
  ideally you'd set 200mv in a resistor of the value of the IEM, or with the IEM itself, because the voltage unloaded might not be exactly the same loaded. but in my case in practice it's often a small variation and it didn't really impact the results on what I tried(but then again I haven't tried that meany gears).

now what I warned you about before and seemed like it was poorly explained(as always ^_^), try to find a device where the maxed out voltage is known, and check that you read the right value with a 1khz tone on your multimeter(or at least close by, again the specs might not be unloaded).  and if not try a lower frequency tone.

Hmmm, I'm still not sure I completely understand. We can put it down to a combination of tiredness and stupidity I think 
biggrin.gif

So just to make clear, I'm doing my measurements on my DAP now as that is the device where I need to monitor my listening levels. Are you suggesting I need to check what the maxed out voltage is?

Also how do I set 200mv with the IEM itself?

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #65 of 110
there is no certainty that when your multimeter writes 0.2v, that's really the output. because basically a cheap multimeter expects mostly to measure 50 or 60hz in your house electrical system as AC voltage.  so instead of just trusting what you read, you should try to check with a known source of known voltage. maybe ask on the topic of some of your amps if somebody who knows what he's doing can check the max output so that you have that reference.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #66 of 110
the risk aside from being wrong, is that you may send a good deal more to your IEM than you think. and some might not like it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #68 of 110
If you just want to monitor your DAP listening levels you don't need the Veritas. The mutimeter does the job if your IEM was already measured by innerfidelity.

Well one of them is measured by Innerfidelity and the other one isn't, so I guess I'm half way there  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #69 of 110
If you just want to monitor your DAP listening levels you don't need the Veritas. The mutimeter does the job if your IEM was already measured by innerfidelity.

sure but the original purpose is to calibrate the veritas to make IEM measurements and get a proper idea of the set loudness on the graph. the veritas is only there in what I explain to enter the calibrated value into REW.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #70 of 110
  there is no certainty that when your multimeter writes 0.2v, that's really the output. because basically a cheap multimeter expects mostly to measure 50 or 60hz in your house electrical system as AC voltage.  so instead of just trusting what you read, you should try to check with a known source of known voltage. maybe ask on the topic of some of your amps if somebody who knows what he's doing can check the max output so that you have that reference.

Excuse the further silly questions, but would this entail playing a 1khz tone through said amp at maximum volume and confirming the voltage readout I get is the same as the manufacturer states?

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #71 of 110
sure but the original purpose is to calibrate the veritas to make IEM measurements and get a proper idea of the set loudness on the graph. the veritas is only there in what I explain to enter the calibrated value into REW.

Haha I know, just wanted to make sure that he does not just simply want to know his listening levels :D

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #72 of 110
I'd recommend a different way to make sure that your multimeter will measure correctly at 1 kHz.

Just go here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sinetone.php

Generate three different tones:
- 50 Hz, 0dBFS, 10s
- 60 Hz, 0dBFS, 10s
- 1000 Hz, 0dBFS, 10s

Play all three tones. If you get the same voltage reading with every tone your good to go.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #73 of 110
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #74 of 110
that's exactly what I was explaining from the start in a very long and overly complicated way!!!!
deadhorse.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #75 of 110
I'd recommend a different way to make sure that your multimeter will measure correctly at 1 kHz.

Just go here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sinetone.php

Generate three different tones:
- 50 Hz, 0dBFS, 10s
- 60 Hz, 0dBFS, 10s
- 1000 Hz, 0dBFS, 10s

Play all three tones. If you get the same voltage reading with every tone your good to go.

that's exactly what I was explaining from the start in a very long and overly complicated way!!!!
deadhorse.gif

Ok guys, so the 1000hz was very slightly different

50 and 60 both measured exactly 0.517 but 1000 measured 0.513

Is that a small enough difference to not worry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back