Vibro Veritas in-ear monitor home measuring device. Reviews and Impressions by Brooko, Twister6, Hisoundfi
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #52 of 74
Sorry to open up a super old thread fellas, but I've been trying to get my Veritas rig set up, using the recommended Startech soundcard as input and a Geekout 100 as output, however my results in Arta for an Etymotic ER4 SR seem pretty far off what I was expecting.

If anyone could highlight where I may be going wrong, I'd be hugely grateful  :)

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #53 of 74
 the low end roll off is clearly wrong, but for the rest it's very much what's to expect without any sort of compensation.

what I get raw with the er4sr and the best seal I can get.

so for the low end, I see 2 options:
1/ you failed at getting a proper seal. it would do that. use some putty and make sure you do have a seal.
2/ your geekout thingy is the cause for the roll off (protective caps?), that would possibly do that too. try another source, your soundcard, the startech ... and see if you get the same kind of result in the low end.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #54 of 74
   the low end roll off is clearly wrong, but for the rest it's very much what's to expect without any sort of compensation.

what I get raw with the er4sr and the best seal I can get.

so for the low end, I see 2 options:
1/ you failed at getting a proper seal. it would do that. use some putty and make sure you do have a seal.
2/ your geekout thingy is the cause for the roll off (protective caps?), that would possibly do that too. try another source, your soundcard, the startech ... and see if you get the same kind of result in the low end.

Yeah, I just tried the startech and got the same results, so I guess we can take option 2 out of the equation.

I had the earphone pretty well logged in to the veritas, but I guess that's where the problem is coming from. Do you remember what tips you used to get a good seal between the coupler and the earphone?

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #56 of 74
Use blu-tack around the couplers opening to ensure proper seal.

Thanks Shane, I'll use some of the provided putty.

Another thing I was wondering about is insertion depth. To get consistent results, should I be trying to ensure that all IEMs are inserted to the same depth?

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #58 of 74
That would be ideal. I'm assuming where the taper opens up into the cavity is the reference plane.

Cheers Shane. I'll give it another go in the morning and see if I can get a better read

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #60 of 74
It looks like the extreme low end roll off may be from the Veritas. I spoke to HiFiChris who mentioned seeing someone else get similar results recently. In which case, I guess I just need to account for it in my calibration. I've attached some photos of my set up and settings, just in case I'm doing something silly you might spot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back