Very High End Headphones
Nov 25, 2003 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 203

temhem

Head-Fier
Here is a question. Most agree that the almighty Orpheus is the best headphone system ever made. Sennheiser may have thrown all they got into that project, but that was more than a freaking decade ago. The technology in every field has improved. I mean, the computer I had then, I carry in my cell phone today (ok, I know, not a fair comparison). But still, every field of human inquiry has advanced. So, we should either get a orpheus quality headphone for cheaper, or get something better for the same price. How many years do we have to wait?

Cheers...

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 203
People still use tubes from the WWII era. Quality audio components aren't always the most cutting edge in technology.

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 203
Are the Orpheus truly better than the KGSS + Omega II? I'm sure someone out there has compared these two systems. I have a hard time believing that the HE90 is that much better than the Omega II.

Keep in mind I've heard neither, I'm just going by what I have read.

Trevor

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 203
A Stax Omega II + Blue Hawaiian would probably equal or best the Orpheus. There are at least two members here getting a BH within the next few months, so once we hear from them we'll see what they have to say and see if they have any knowledge of the Orpheus' sound.

One member here in Europe had a Stax Omega II + SRM007t amp AND the Orpheus, but he sold off the Stax stuff to keep the Big O. Kevin Gilmore says that the Stax amps are designed well, and with some replacement tubes are quite good. Kevin's KGSS design is truly incredible with the Omegas, but the Blue Hawaiian is supposed to be uber-incredible.

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 203
We have two new contenders just in the last two months, the new Ultrasone Edition7 ($2.5-$3K), and the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 (~$2.5K). These are the first really high-end cans in some time. The problem has been that, in the past, not enough people have been willing to shell out that kind of $$ for headphones which are largely seen as disposable items. Now that the internet is here, we're here, people can be educated and information easily shared, and the hobby is expanding, I have high hopes that this ssituation will change over the next few years.

Still, I doubt we'll ever have anywhere near as many high-end cans to choose from as we now have hi-end headamps, due to the specialized nature of headphones-- there's only a small handful of manufacturers out there. Headamps can be built from off-the-shelf components, headphones can't.

Mark

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 203
Quote:

Originally posted by temhem
Most agree that the almighty Orpheus is the best headphone system ever made.

rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 203
I just want a headphone that has the positive qualities of the existing headphones. Great resolution, seperation, stage, depth. Why can't we have such a thing. You know, the children of orpheus and K1000, with even more depth, so much depth in fact, the music gets the hell out of my head
plainface.gif
If we had that, the amp would follow in 6 months.

I WANT IT. I WANT IT. I WANT IT.

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 203
Quote:

Originally posted by temhem
I just want a headphone that has the positive qualities of the existing headphones. Great resolution, seperation, stage, depth. Why can't we have such a thing. You know, the children of orpheus and K1000, with even more depth, so much depth in fact, the music gets the hell out of my head
plainface.gif

We do have such a thing, they're called "speakers"...
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 203
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
We do have such a thing, they're called "speakers"...
biggrin.gif

What are these things called "speakers", and where can I get them?

Also if you could help me with the 80000 I need to reach the same quality, that would be helpful.

Nov 26, 2003 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 203
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
We have two new contenders just in the last two months, the new Ultrasone Edition7 ($2.5-$3K), and the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 (~$2.5K).

let's not forget the grado PS-1 (european limited edition)

Nov 26, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 203
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Now that the internet is here, we're here, people can be educated and information easily shared, and the hobby is expanding, I have high hopes that this ssituation will change over the next few years.

If we will pay for it, someone will build it
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 203
Sennheiser has done a fine job with the HD 650. It may not have the exact same airiness and treble highlights as the Orpheus and not exactly the same smoothness and resolution as the Omega II, but in fact it leaves barely any wishes open and does everything right. Actually it's the first electrostat to equal dynamic headphones in terms of impact and dynamics.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back