Versatile amp at around $600?
Dec 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HPiper

Headphoneus Supremus
I have looked at a lot of amps and think I have narrowed it down pretty close to what I want. I need a good all-around amp that will do well with both high and low impedance phones. I tend to like tube amps better than solid state, but that could be just because I haven't heard the 'right' solid state amp. Looking for something around $600 ( +- $50). So far here is pretty much what I am looking at. Solid state: Burson Soloist SL, maybe an Asgard 2. (Short list). On the tube side I am looking at a Woo WA6 (not the SE), Lyr, or a LD MkIVSE. Just wondering if anyone has something they think fits price wise, that will work with just about any phone, that I may have missed. If you were wondering this will be running off of, either a Bifrost Uber or a Concero dac, playing mostly classic rock/blues with a bit of jazz thrown in from time to time.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 6
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN.htm  

have u checked out the options in audiogd? 

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 6
  I need a good all-around amp that will do well with both high and low impedance phones.

I tend to like tube amps better than solid state, but that could be just because I haven't heard the 'right' solid state amp.

Get the Meier Classic. If it sounds like it lacks the tube sound you're looking for, use a source (DAC or CDP) with a tube output stage. The few Meier amps I tried, including the one I own (Cantate.2), are very transparent and responsive to upstream components while managing to power pretty much anything within reason (basically anything but electrostats and very sensitive IEMs, but did well enough with the LCD-2 - haven't tried enough of the HiFiMans though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back