Venturing into the dark side..
Oct 11, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 50
Apparently the 2G's measure worse in terms of distortion, but in cleaning it up they may have made the 3G more deck-like in it's tonal response, which seems to be less suitable for most people's portable listening requirements.

bong, I'm interested... how many hours would you say you use each iPod in a week?

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #18 of 50
Heh, welcome to the club, Duncan.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Apparently the 2G's measure worse in terms of distortion, but in cleaning it up they may have made the 3G more deck-like in it's tonal response, which seems to be less suitable for most people's portable listening requirements.

bong, I'm interested... how many hours would you say you use each iPod in a week?

hi bangraman. i use both my iPods constantly, since both have different mp3's loaded. most of the mp3's are ripped at from 192 kb/s to 256 kb/s, listened at 3/4 full volume most of the time. i do most of my listening on my commute, which lasts about an hour and a half each way to and from work, and charge my iPod twice a week. that would average about 7 hours between charges, and everytime i charge there's still at least two bars on the battery meter left, half of the time there's three bars. i've owned the 1G 5Gigger iPod since spring of 2002 and still exhibits great battery life.
smily_headphones1.gif

about the distortion on the 2G's, can you elaborate on the distortion?

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 50
Apparently the audio out is 'dirtier' than the 3G. That's all that's been said to me, from someone who I can trust has looked into it in thorough detail. Fascinating about the batteries. I've not had a single iPod for long enough for it's batteries to start degrading, but your experience certainly seems to blow the battery naysayers out of the water.

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Apparently the audio out is 'dirtier' than the 3G. That's all that's been said to me, from someone who I can trust has looked into it in thorough detail. Fascinating about the batteries. I've not had a single iPod for long enough for it's batteries to start degrading, but your experience certainly seems to blow the battery naysayers out of the water.

I didn't think iPod had inherently bad batteries, more that the short battery duration led to the magic 500 cycles being reached quicker. That plus more users will be fully discharging the battery which is quite bad for the chemistry of these cells.

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluez
That plus more users will be fully discharging the battery which is quite bad for the chemistry of these cells.

That is a likely reason for Li batteries to die early. I've got 10 G iPod for over a year and half, use it every day except weekends from 2 to 4 hours, and keep it fully charged all the time - i.e. connected to a charger whenever possible. I couldn't notice so far any battery life reduction, thought my use of iPod is on non-compressed WAV files only and on a heavy load (16 Ohms Sony MDR-EX71).

Alex

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluez
I didn't think iPod had inherently bad batteries, more that the short battery duration led to the magic 500 cycles being reached quicker. That plus more users will be fully discharging the battery which is quite bad for the chemistry of these cells.

You're right. Short commuting use may not drain these to the level of a counted full discharge.

Oct 11, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #24 of 50
from experience, one should never fully discharge the iPod. the best way to keep the battery life going is to charge it once you see you're down to two bars, therefore not using a full charge cycle. i'm guessing all the people who've been complaining about dead batteries drain their batteries before charging. throughout my ownership, i've only drained my 5Gigger three or four times, mainly because of forgetting my charging schedule.

heh... i have it all worked out for charging, Sunday nights before going to bed, so my iPod would be fresh and ready Monday morning, and Wednesday afternoon at work, smack in the middle of the workweek. has been working for me for the past two and a half years.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Apparently the audio out is 'dirtier' than the 3G. That's all that's been said to me, from someone who I can trust has looked into it in thorough detail.

I would agree with this...

Earlier, at the top of this thread, I said that the 4G sounded anemic compared to the 2G, that is true to a point, when listening to thrashy music (hey, thats what EQ is for in iTunes I guess, time to set up all my symphonic metal with bass boost
eek.gif
) although as a general rule, listening to the 4G with more mainstream music is now, imho far more enjoyable than it was on the 2G...

I've not myself heard a 3G player (apart from iirc, a very brief audition of Bangramans at one of the London-mini-meets) yet i've seen it reported that the 2G sounded better... makes me wonder if it was someone who had listening tastes like mine (metal) that compared the two, or if the 3G really was a step in the wrong direction.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #26 of 50
DUNCAN, Welcome to the Team, tough I did not know ther was one...
tongue.gif

What are you using for encoding ?

By the way I am veeery happy wth my 4G 40Gig Ipod !
icon10.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #27 of 50
Welcome to the team, Duncan. I myself just got my 4G 20G iPod. I have yet to listen to it because I am waiting for a 4 pin to 6 pin Firewire adapter. (Grrrrr.
mad.gif
blink.gif
) I, too, will post some thoughts and what not once I hear how the beautiful (looking, at least) unit sounds. Cheers.
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #28 of 50
Chicken...

Its a shame you live in the US (or, is that its a shame that I live in the UK? lol) as I have two of those little adapters here, but in terms of shipping times (with the US customs being extra vigilant these days) - impractical.

DEMIW...

I use iTunes 4.6, and rip as 256k AAC, this file size / type to me seems to be a fair compromise between sound quality and battery life
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #29 of 50
Duncan, have you done tests comparing 225 to 256? Ask because of Apples famous "keep most tracks under 9MB" for 'best' battery life suggestion tends to fall between these two (with average length songs).

For the two years I had the 1G, I used 224 and was happy (the 192 to 224 jump was the last I could usually tell). Been running first ALAC, then 320 on my 4G, and considering moving back to 224 for battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back