Venturing into the dark side..
Oct 12, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 50
blessingx..

Yes, I did originally (on the 2G at least) rip at 224k AAC, but it sounded slightly plasticky to me, and 256k seemed to be more... erm... (wrong word coming up, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean) airy, so thats why i've stuck with 256k (although I know what you mean about the 9mb limit)

Bangraman.

Yes, i've run imod now, and it appears to work fine on the 4G
biggrin.gif

The biggest concern I have right now though is that the 4G seems to hold a less consistent charge than the 2G, i'm hoping that this will sort itself out after a few dozen charges.. if not, i'll be pretty miffed... time will tell though.

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #32 of 50
You just may be having the same problem I had with the latest firmware of the 3G: The battery meter was all over the place regardless of the actual charge of the battery. I don't know... head over to iPodlounge where I'm sure where they know a lot more about it.

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #33 of 50
Hmm...

Reading a thread there, it seems interesting that some users have had their 4G still playing for a couple of hours after the battery was registering as empty...

I haven't used mine until the battery is flat yet, don't want to get into bad habits, but - guess i should be brave, and run it for a couple of days in a row without recharging, just to see what happens...

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #34 of 50
Yeah, my meter drops significantly faster on the 4G (12 hours) than 1G (10 hours). I feel the need to plug in the newer one all the time. It was disappointing. Maybe it can't be trusted.

Isn't there a hack that converted the meter to a numeric percent, instead of bars?

Just found it it appears to be only for 3G.
http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=236
Maybe something will appear for the 4G.

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Yeah, my meter drops significantly faster on the 4G (12 hours) than 1G (10 hours). I feel the need to plug in the newer one all the time. It was disappointing. Maybe it can't be trusted.

I have the same issue. But I find that it is consistent in doing that. So, everytime the meter shows empty, I still have some juice left. It will improve once you go through a few charge cycles.

Enjoy your iPod - the best part is choosing from all the accessories that are out there for the iPod
etysmile.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #36 of 50
Well, as promised here are a few thoughts on how the new iPod sounds. Oh, and Duncan, thanks for the offer of the adapter. It was sad that I had to open that nice-looking box only to find out that I needed to send away for yet another item. Especially after my iPod was backordered at the online Apple store. Oops, I digress. Back to the sound of the iPod. First the negative points. I can see why ppl say that the iPod can be bass-challenged. It does have a very laid-back presentation, to put it mildly. BUT, when I listened to acoustic or classical works, I found the sound to be some of the best I'VE ever heard out of a portable. The unit sounded clean and crisp, and it seemed able to decently drive my SR-80's even without an amp, though I'm going to hook it up to an amp tonight. I have also noticed that the battery drops very quickly. Maybe this is due to the fact that I am using the Apple Lossless. I wonder if I should switch to the 256 AAC that you guys are trying? Anyone out there feel free to add their 2 bits to this topic. Thanks and enjoy the music.
cool.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #37 of 50
Duncan,

Welcome to the cult, we'll show you the secret handshake later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandhi
Enjoy your iPod - the best part is choosing from all the accessories that are out there for the iPod
etysmile.gif

Yep, I feel sorry for all those iRiver and iAudio users who get most of those accessories straight from the box. No need to choose, no need to spend loads more money, shame.

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #39 of 50
I agree with Chicken about the merits of the 4G...

...that being said, after putting about 30hrs onto mine, the bass is either filling out, or else the placebo effect is kicking in, either way, sounds much richer now
smily_headphones1.gif

Two accessories i'm definetly going to get next month are the dock, and also the Belkin battery adapter
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 50
I think my next investment will be either a Sik or PocketDock line out. Everyone raves about usign the line out, time to test this out for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #41 of 50
If its of interest, once I get the dock, I could do a comparison of the iPod line out versus one of the kings of PCDP line outs (imo at least) - the Philips AZ6832...

That may well prove that I am definetly no longer one of the PCDP gurus...

Oct 14, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 50
Regarding the lack of bass and the overly "bright" treble on the iPod...

Maybe that's why my iPod sounds so good with PortaPros! A perfect match, it would seem. The PP's are a little bass heavy and roll off some of the highs. No EQ needed.

By the way, I sometimes use my 'phones through a Sik line out and an inline volume control. It seems to have deeper bass (maybe just more) than going through the headphone out.

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #43 of 50
Hmm, portapros, huh? Thx for the tip, grenert. I do own a pair that hasn't gotten much usage lately, mostly due to the noticable bass emphasis. I should try them with the 'Pod. Although, maybe I shouldn't mess with it, for I am starting to experience (after only maybe 10-20 hours of listening) what Duncan mentioned about the bass filling out/placebo effect. Yes, I dare say that this purchase, although probably the most expensive, is the best headphone audio purchase I have made.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #44 of 50
Yesterday afternoon, after I resigned as a Head-Fi moderator, I went to the DAP dark side - and bought myself a 4G 20GB iPod. I was getting sick of carrying even two CDs with me to work - and then elbowing somebody on the bus just to change CDs.

So much for the convenience, but guess what? The sound quality is among the best that I've heard in a recent portable player! (And I was using WAVs and initially 128kbps AAC files - but have since re-encoded those songs which I originally ripped to AAC to Apple Lossless.) So much for the "weak" bass response, as well - I've heard plenty of bass through a pair of Grado SR-60's that I used in testing the iPod's headphone out.

Dec 12, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Yesterday afternoon, after I resigned as a Head-Fi moderator...

Majorly off topic... but...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

C'mon Eagle... you can't leave me... I don't even really do portables anymore... (apart from listening to my ipod for 3-4 hours per day, but that is irrelevant
wink.gif
)

Anyway.. I'm sure you've got your reasons... and - thanks for your time, effort, and help.. Much Appreciated.

Cheers!

Duncan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back