Venturing into the dark side..
Oct 9, 2004 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't resist...

After just six weeks of having a 2G iPod, today - I went out and bought a 20gb 4G iPod
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Not really had that much of a chance to listen to it yet, but its good to know that EuPod really does work at counter-acting the euro-crippling
biggrin.gif

I'm not totally sure about the sound quality yet, will take it out with me in a little while for its first run, yet I have a sneaky suspiscion that the 2G iPod may sound better...

Oh well, either way, i'm now a fully fledged member of Team iPod
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 50
Hmm...

After listening for a couple of hours (and I daresay i'm not saying anything that you don't already know), it seems that the 4G players are more 'audiophile' (in the relative notion at least), making general music sound more listenable, cleaner, but the dirtier music like (symphonic, which i'm really into at the moment) metal sound lacklustre, as if some of the life has been taken away from it when compared to the 2G unit.

Guess i might have to put some EQ onto the metal that I listen to...

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 50
Afraid not, no...

Its gone to a new happy home, with my brother
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Nice to see you again Duncan. The dark side, lol...I've gone even further into the MD darkness, lol!

Hiya
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe MD Darkness, I remember that, having three portable players, two portable recorders, and a home deck at one point...
eek.gif

Ever get the feeling i'm a little compulsive?
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 50
Ipod amplifiers are generally neutral and bright compared to other portable players, but also bass shy.

The negative comments regarding the performance of ipod amplifier are inflated; beside the iriver, the ipod is one of the best "audiophile" portable players out there.

Currently Listening to: "Unfinished Symphony" by Massive Attack on my Koss Porta Pros.

Oct 10, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Ipod amplifiers are generally neutral and bright compared to other portable players, but also bass shy.

i generrally agree with this statement, as i find both my 1G 5Gig an 2G 10Gig a bit too bright with some of my phones. i find them finicky with some headphones.

i've refrained from buying a 3G and am doing a great job avoiding the 4G as well, IMO there isn't a big enough level of advancement for upgrading from my 2G. besides, i love the harder edged look of the 1G/2G than the rounder looking 3G/4G.
biggrin.gif
and after all these years, i still get a full battery charge with both my old iPods.

i dunno... as tempting as the 4G is, i'm holding out for the Rio Chroma... in the meantime, i'm really happy with my 2G 10Gig.

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 50
bong...

Stay happy with the 2G 10gb unit, the only major enhancement for me between 2G and 4G (at the moment at least, until i've got a few hundred hours on this 4G unit) is the backlight... waaaaaaay better on the 4G unit...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
bong...

Stay happy with the 2G 10gb unit, the only major enhancement for me between 2G and 4G (at the moment at least, until i've got a few hundred hours on this 4G unit) is the backlight... waaaaaaay better on the 4G unit...
smily_headphones1.gif

heh... thanks for the advice Duncan, makes me feel better about not getting the 20Gig 4G, no matter how tempting the price is!
biggrin.gif

the only gripe about the 2G 10Gigger i have is that the display is horrible, there's more than a fair share of ghostly images when the backlight is on, nowhere are crisp and clear as my 1G 5Gigger unit. i dunno why...
confused.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 50
Re: ipod's lack of bass and overly bright on some headphones - I recommend trying the "Treble Reducer" EQ, and then boosting the main volume, effectively boosting bass and mids (without distortion) and cutting back just that little bit of excessive trebles.

I use KSC-35s with my 4G iPod, which by nature, is very bassy, and also bright for trebly hihats. I find the Treble Reducer EQ help me get exactly that 'oomph' in bass (without that excessive it-all-sounds-the-same muddy bass sound on other players) while maintaining the clarity and spatialness of the iPod sound.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 50
Yeah, after being a 5 year MD user I bought an iPod mini. There's a lot to like about it, amp included. I can forgive the bass-shyness but I really am still waiting for Apple to come up with gapless before I go for a 20/40 gig model.

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #15 of 50
On the bright side, the gaps on the 4G unit are more like little blips, rather than intermittency on the 2G... things are sort of improved... only a little way to go
biggrin.gif

Bong... Yes, the display on the 2G (definetly in the case of the backlight) is horrible, the newer variants (and as you say, also the 1st gen) are way better....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back