VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #316 of 507
Hi guys, long time forum lurker and first time poster here. I was wondering will there be any noticeable negative impacts on sound quality if I were to double amp the Go-Dap X Red(MUSES8920) with another portable amp such as the Tralucent T1. Am considering the T1 when I get enough funds for the 1plus2 in the near future but would also like to pair it (1plus2/T1 combo) with an iDevice DAC when I listen to it on the iPhone.

However my G- Dap X is the only iDAC that I own and if I am not mistaken it only works as a DAC/AMP combo, which means I can't turn the AMP off and use it as a dedicated DAC and also through reading and researching on the effects on double-amping, there are mixed theories and impressions on whether or not double-amping is a good idea. 

I am considering that if the Go-Dap X does not work well with double amping I might want to sell it and get a DD socket 1 instead. Will it be a good idea?

I welcome all sorts of suggestions and advices and I am sorry if I waste any of your time. I also apologise for my not so good English. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #317 of 507
For sensitive IEMs and using the rule of 8 as a guideline, for the FT!334 output impedance should be no more than 5 and IIRC for the W4 >2

I do hear a difference when I use the Fostex HP-P1 (10.22 imp) straight into 334 vs using it as a DAC thru RSA Hornet, low gain and imp @1.
What is the diff? Hard to say LOL have not really A/B. What I think is more detail and bigger sound stage with the lower impedance.

From all I've read and have tried to understand about impedance, unless trying to drive monsters like the HE-6, the lower the output impedance from the amp the better.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #318 of 507
Quote:
Hi guys, long time forum lurker and first time poster here. I was wondering will there be any noticeable negative impacts on sound quality if I were to double amp the Go-Dap X Red(MUSES8920) with another portable amp such as the Tralucent T1. Am considering the T1 when I get enough funds for the 1plus2 in the near future but would also like to pair it (1plus2/T1 combo) with an iDevice DAC when I listen to it on the iPhone.

However my G- Dap X is the only iDAC that I own and if I am not mistaken it only works as a DAC/AMP combo, which means I can't turn the AMP off and use it as a dedicated DAC and also through reading and researching on the effects on double-amping, there are mixed theories and impressions on whether or not double-amping is a good idea. 

I am considering that if the Go-Dap X does not work well with double amping I might want to sell it and get a DD socket 1 instead. Will it be a good idea?

I welcome all sorts of suggestions and advices and I am sorry if I waste any of your time. I also apologise for my not so good English. 

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet 
beerchug.gif

I'm sure you will get good answers to your questions.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #321 of 507
Just received mine. The battery is completely drained. I plugged it into my laptop via the microUSB port to charge and test out the USB DAC. When I plug my IE80s, all I hear is a faint noise and very low music playing in the back ground. The driver is installed correctly according to Windows. Am I missing something hear? I tried all modes on the X. Amp, AmpI, Sync. Cannot get real sound.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #322 of 507
Quote:
Just received mine. The battery is completely drained. I plugged it into my laptop via the microUSB port to charge and test out the USB DAC. When I plug my IE80s, all I hear is a faint noise and very low music playing in the back ground. The driver is installed correctly according to Windows. Am I missing something hear? I tried all modes on the X. Amp, AmpI, Sync. Cannot get real sound.

Did you try unplug from usb and turn it off for a while. It happen to me some time. Try switch between USB DAC and iAMP too.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #323 of 507
Quote:
 Did you try unplug from usb and turn it off for a while. It happen to me some time. Try switch between USB DAC and iAMP too.

Maybe it hasn't been charged up enough. I'll let it fully charge first. I wish there is some sort of manual to follow. For a $400 device, that's the least they can do.

Update: I switched the iAMP and USA/DAC multiple times, and put the other one on AMP not Sync. The audio worked then after few minutes will lose sound again. Sigh..... 

Update 2: After 3 hours of charging with microUSB to wall charger, it still won't turn on without connected to the power source. Connecting it to my Note 2 does nothing. Maybe I got a defective unit. How long are current user charging their X before it can self power?

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #324 of 507
Hi,
I am quite new to headfi and I am trying to get a good portable set up. Would the godap x drive a pair of senheiser HD650? I really like the sound of these headphones and am quite keen to stick with an idevice (classic and iphone).
also is this just available in Japan? I am in the UK so was wondering if there were suppliers that I could use.
any help would be great and sorry if my questions have been covered already but I couldn't see the answers as I went through the thread.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #325 of 507
Quote:
Hi,
I am quite new to headfi and I am trying to get a good portable set up. Would the godap x drive a pair of senheiser HD650? I really like the sound of these headphones and am quite keen to stick with an idevice (classic and iphone).
also is this just available in Japan? I am in the UK so was wondering if there were suppliers that I could use.
any help would be great and sorry if my questions have been covered already but I couldn't see the answers as I went through the thread.

I have Vamp and don't believe the GoDAPX will provide enough power to properly drive HD650s.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #326 of 507
Yeah, it should easily drive 650. It's made in Japan. I got the red Muse version yesterday finally got it setup. Dimitri from music acoustica. Had been terrific to deal with. He will ship world wide. I got mine in 5 business days shipped from Japan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #327 of 507
Now I'm confused! One says yes one says no! Do any small (ish) portable amps drive them to their full potential? I am not in a position to use them in a non portable set up so if the go dap gets me to the same place as most other portable amps of the same size with the bonus of being able to be a dac for an idevice I think I would be happy.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #328 of 507
Quote:
Now I'm confused! One says yes one says no! Do any small (ish) portable amps drive them to their full potential? I am not in a position to use them in a non portable set up so if the go dap gets me to the same place as most other portable amps of the same size with the bonus of being able to be a dac for an idevice I think I would be happy.

Regarding Vamp, my understanding is that it is a high-powered version of the GoDAP 4.  Vamp is 150mw/channel.  The new FiiO E12 is, I believe, 850mw/channel.  At about 5X the output of GoDAP, the E12 should be able to comfortably drive high impedance headphones to loud volumes.  There is no built-in DAC or Apple chip compatibility with the E12, but it is also only $130.

I use Vamp with my M-100 which is only 32 ohm and I run near full volume.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #329 of 507
With just an amp would I not get a drop in sound quality due to using the headphone out of my iphone 5 and 30pin conector of my classic? I don't think I listen at very high volumes, if I plug the 650 into my iphone I do need it at full volume but I don't think I would want it much louder.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #330 of 507
Quote:
With just an amp would I not get a drop in sound quality due to using the headphone out of my iphone 5 and 30pin conector of my classic? I don't think I listen at very high volumes, if I plug the 650 into my iphone I do need it at full volume but I don't think I would want it much louder.

You will have much better results using a line out adapter from the 30-pin to the amp input.  These are $10-$150 depending on quality.  I have used the $10 FiiO adapter and it sounds fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back