VenturCraft Soundroid Typhoon
Jul 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #122 of 343
Ok this is what I am thinking now:

• the up conversion works, and gives my iPod's AAC a slightly smoother sound compare to my VERZA.
  • however, power wise it really felt behind the VERZA, which is somewhat expected since it is 80mW vs. 130mW after all.
  • I followed the manual to the dot and still can't get DSD to work in Foobar with SDT in hardware mode with the "SounDroid_Typhoon" driver.  As of now it will only work via the "foo_dsd_asio" driver output to the SDT.  However, no matter whether I got sound or not, the bitrate indicator on the SDT always shows the correct setting.  Please refer to page 14 of the SDT manual for more information.
  • tested the Sony F807 with it but sadly still won't work for it...
  • the only one thing I am missing now is my mini-toslink interconnect to test my SDT with the AK120.  Will a single Ti PCM5102A holds up to the dual-mono Wolfson 8740?  I will know soon enough.
  • bottom line right now is that if the SDT has more power and better drivers for DSD, it will be very close to perfect.  Let's hope that Val from V-MODA takes my hint and rework the SDT for their next DAC/AMP release.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #123 of 343
Quote:
Ok this is what I am thinking now:

• the up conversion works, and gives my iPod's AAC a slightly smoother sound compare to my VERZA.
  • however, power wise it really felt behind the VERZA, which is somewhat expected since it is 80mW vs. 130mW after all.
  • I followed the manual to the dot and still can't get DSD to work in Foobar with SDT in hardware mode with the "SounDroid_Typhoon" driver.  As of now it will only work via the "foo_dsd_asio" driver output to the SDT.  However, no matter whether I got sound or not, the bitrate indicator on the SDT always shows the correct setting.  Please refer to page 14 of the SDT manual for more information.
  • tested the Sony F807 with it but sadly still won't work for it...
  • the only one thing I am missing now is my mini-toslink interconnect to test my SDT with the AK120.  Will a single Ti PCM5102A holds up to the dual-mono Wolfson 8740?  I will know soon enough.
  • bottom line right now is that if the SDT has more power and better drivers for DSD, it will be very close to perfect.  Let's hope that Val from V-MODA takes my hint and rework the SDT for their next DAC/AMP release.

Yes, it seem that power is a bit less than X but, even with low gain, I never goes beyond half of the volume for my MH335DW. 

I spent a few hours before figure it out what wrong with DSD. Did you get that windows in step 17 to pop up. If not, you probably fail to install those ASIO Proxy. Two plugins, one separated program and SDT driver are needed.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #124 of 343
Quote:
Yes, it seem that power is a bit less than X but, even with low gain, I never goes beyond half of the volume for my MH335DW. 

I spent a few hours before figure it out what wrong with DSD. Did you get that windows in step 17 to pop up. If not, you probably fail to install those ASIO Proxy. Two plugins, one separated program and SDT driver are needed.

Thanks but that's not it, but again their screen shots about the channel mapping are all wrong anyway, I will not be surprised that some of their instructions were wrong.  Step 10 told you to select the SDT as output device, but if I do that I will get no sound.  I have to select ASIO: foo_dsd_asio to get sound to come out of my SDT, and I am using that to listen some 2L DSD samples right now.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #125 of 343
Quote:
Thanks but that's not it, but again their screen shots about the channel mapping are all wrong anyway, I will not be surprised that some of their instructions were wrong.  Step 10 told you to select the SDT as output device, but if I do that I will get no sound.  I have to select ASIO: foo_dsd_asio to get sound to come out of my SDT, and I am using that to listen some 2L DSD samples right now.

I think I select ASIO: SDT. I will check that later.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #126 of 343
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #127 of 343
Quote:
Thanks, it will be nice to know what the hell I did different/wrong.

If it is any comfort to you, I am in the same boat as you 
etysmile.gif
 But I don't think it matters much because the sound coming out is very good. This is especially after I changed to Muse01. I know MTT1st prefers the Muse02 but I like the clarity of Muse01 
etysmile.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #128 of 343
Quote:

etysmile.gif
 But I don't think it matters much because the sound coming out is very good. This is especially after I changed to Muse01. I know MTT1st prefers the Muse02 but I like the clarity of Muse01 
etysmile.gif

Did you actually try the MUSES02? I do like the clarity and neutrality of the MUSES01. :D

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #129 of 343
etysmile.gif

etysmile.gif

I got an email from VentureCraft today saying that the English manual will be available by tomorrow.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #130 of 343
Brilliant. I gave up on the DSD install with the Japanese manual, haha. 
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #133 of 343
my first post finally :)
I just bought this amp and I couldn't find the "start guide" nor the glossary.
Also my gain switch is not working. Is there any clue? I tried connecting it to my iPod 4th Gen via USB cable and analog in (using mini to mini) and it still not worked :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #134 of 343
Aug 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #135 of 343
Quote:
my first post finally :)
I just bought this amp and I couldn't find the "start guide" nor the glossary.
Also my gain switch is not working. Is there any clue? I tried connecting it to my iPod 4th Gen via USB cable and analog in (using mini to mini) and it still not worked :frowning2:

Right now only japanese manual is available. English version will probably be available by tomorrow.

Gain switch won't have any effect unless you turn off Typhoon and turn it on again.

Here is some summary of each switch position on Typhoon.

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/sdt/toggle_e.php

You can download manual from this link when it become available.

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/sdt/index.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back