Velodyne vPulse Review - Bass lovers rejoice!!!
Mar 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #31 of 109

Quote:
i couldn't get a good seal with the stock tips and so no real bass.
i'm using comply foam tips.  it's a big snug to get on.  but, for me, the sound is spectacular b/c of the seal.  AWESOME bass and sub-bass AND mids and highs are clean/clear. [not muddled].

​

Which Comply tips did you use?

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 109
I think it's the T-400. I got it at Radio Shack.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #34 of 109
I own a Velodyne F1500R sub. The bass extension is endless, sounds super clean, and the impact is something that you can feel in your soul. Cant wait to get a pair of their freakin IEMs! 

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 109
I used the t400 comply that they sell at radio shack and they are fine.  I go back and forth between them and the stock tips too.  I cant decide which I like better.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #36 of 109
Cool, thanks for the tip suggestion.

A shameless plug: I have a brand new pair for sale that I got when they had a promo. Bought an extra pair for a gift to my wife but she prefers CX200 over these 
rolleyes.gif
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/599237/vpulse-from-velodyne-bnib

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #38 of 109
I forgot mention that I cut the Comply tips to make them shallower. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 109

Quote:
I forgot mention that I cut the Comply tips to make them shallower. 

Thanks. I don't think the depth will be an issue for me as I need something deeper than usual.
I am going to pick one up and see.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #40 of 109
Usually, I like deeper fitting tips, but, with the Vpulse, I seem to get the best sound (clear and awesome bass) with the Complies when I cut about 40% off.  I still get a good seal and the nozzle is completely free.  
I think ear canals differ quite a bit, so the full Comply might be best for you.  Hope you get a great fit/seal!

​

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 109
Do you happen to have the Large Comply tips? If so, are the Large Comply tips wider, same or narrower than the included single flange large tips, when you look at them from the side? (the widest part of the tip)
I went to buy some and they had only medium tips but they were a bit narrower than the included large tips, and I need something same or wider than the include large tips.
Thanks!

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 109
I think mine must be the medium sized ones because they're smaller in diameter than the stock large single flange tips.
on Comply's website
http://www.complyfoam.com/
they have S, M, and L sizes of the T-400, which fits the Vpulse.  They list each size's diameter at the base:
Diameter at proximal end (end attaching to device):
Small: 10.67 mm ± 0.50 mm (0.420" ± 0.020")
Medium: 12.45 mm ± 0.50 mm (0.490" ± 0.020")
Large: 12.57 mm ± 0.50 mm (0.495" ± 0.020")
Materials: Polyurethane foam, thermoplastic elastomer (all RoHS compliant)
Inside Diameter of Core: Depends on earphone design. Several stock sizes available.

They also have round tips [the Ts 400].  They only come in Medium but the widest diameter is wider than the base [widest part of] the Large cylindrical tips:​
Maximum Outside Diameter:
Medium: 13.50 mm ± 0.50 mm (0.531" ± 0.020")
 ​
So, I think either the Large T-400 or the Ts 400 [medium] are your best bets.​

​

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #43 of 109
Thanks for that info.
The difference between medium and large is almost nothing (0.12mm is as thin as a strand of hair), and makes me wonder if Comply made a mistake in the numbers.
If that is indeed correct, Ts-400 or Tx-400 large would be a better pick for me.
(I just checked the Tx-400 spec and the difference between large and medium is 1.52mm so I sent an email to Compy to verify whether the T-400 spec is correct.)

In any case, is the difference between the Comply tips and the include tips quite significant as far as the sound quality goes (bass, mid and high)? 

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #44 of 109
You're right.  I didn't even notice the minute difference between the stated diameters of the medium and large T-400.  I think you're right that they made a mistake.

Regarding the difference between Comply tips and the stock tips: For me, the difference is ENORMOUS.  I can never get a decent seal with tips like the stock vpulse tips, so the sound is very tinny and distant.  For me, using the vpulse with the stock tips is like listening to a pair of over the ear headphones with the earcups pulled two inches away out from your ears and head.  With Comply tips, i get a good seal and then the vpulse bass comes out in it's magnificent glory.  And the mids and highs are clear.  The whole sound is awesome across the board.  For me, if i used the vpulse with only the stock tips, i'd think they were horrible earphones with no bass.

​

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #45 of 109
My assumption was incorrect. The specs are indeed correct. T series grow in length so the large tips are almost identical to the mediums except much longer (deeper). Tx series, on the other hand, grow in girth hence the wide gap between the mediums and larges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back