Velodyne vPulse Review - Bass lovers rejoice!!!
Feb 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

Dougeefresh

500+ Head-Fier
Got these in today and have been listening to them for a couple of hours.
Three things I immediately noticed when I put them on (and this is me coming from SoundMAGIC E10 user):

BASS

I gotta say WOW, HOLY BASS BATMAN!!! The quantity is definitely there and it goes down deeeeeeep, like their rumbling sub-woofer deep. I gotta say that I think these go the deepest among all the bass-biased headphones I own (PRO 900, D7000). It literally feels like I have a sub in my head. Now, this is coming from a guy who loves good bass so if you're not a bass person, stay away!
E10s are also quite bassy phones but there's a BIG difference between E10 and vPulse.
Now that I sorted out the bass quantity, how about the quality? I think it's quite good. Of course, there's a lot of it and it makes it slightly difficult to judge but it doesn't feel bloated or boomy at all. In fact, sub bass is a bliss! Mid and upper bass are quite good as well. Not as tight or clean as the full-size cans mentioned above but enough to satisfy most picky bass lovers. Yes, bass is overpowering in bass heavy music but if you listen/like bassy heavy music to begin with, you will probably love it.
I believe if you get noise blocking tips like Comply, I predict there will be even more bass which would be unimaginable even for me.

Did I mention these have AWESOME BASS?
wink.gif

SOUNDSTAGE

Immediately after I put them on, I noticed a significanly wider soundstage compared to E10. Dare I say they sound like closed full-size phones? Possibly to some cans. I only know that I much prefer this soundstage over E10. The different was easily noticeable between the two.

COMFORT

This is where vPulses are not as good compared to E10. Granted, E10s are feather weight, super light but vPulses are somewhat heavy. This is due to the flat, tangle-free wires but I don't find them to be problematic enough to cause any comfort issues. But just enough to make you notice at first. After a while, I don't notice the weight. E10s got some serious microphonic issue when worn down but vPulses are much better at controlling microphonic. Overall, although the wires are heavier, I do like the tangle-free feature and prefer this over the E10's thin, rounder wires. I also prefer the vPulse's 90 degree plug over the straight.
I believe vPulses can be worn only downward due to their angled tips. They do fit my ears perfectly thought which is rare.

AND THE REST

Again, compared to E10s, mid and high are both more forward and brighter which are welcome changes for me.
Did I mentioned they come with an inline iPhone controller and mic? Well, they do.

I wasn't expecting much due to lack of interest in them (no head-fi review was done) but boy, was I surprised. This was another holy cow moment for me like when I discover PRO900. For Velodyne's first attempt at IEMs , it's not too shabby at all. Now I know why I love Velodyne subs
biggrin.gif

If you love bass but don't want to sacrifice everything else for bass, DEFINITELY try these. These are quality all-around IEMs with a kick (bigass kick for that matter) in the bottom.

Three button inline control

Comes with a carrying case covered in suede-like material

Comes with a clip and 4 pairs of tips per color (total 8 pairs)

DISCLAIMERS

All listening has been done using BIFROST/ASGARD/FLAC. Have not tried on an iPhone yet.
I just realized that half of what I wrote says "bass"
darthsmile.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 109
Sounds like a very positive review. I enjoyed reading it because I actually have the E10's so I had an idea of what you meant. You should post some pictures.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 109
Just registered to give my two cents on these earphones -- though I am not an audiophile and do not know technical terms as well as you all. :) With that in mind, the depth of the bass reminds me of the JVC Xtreme Xplosives, though those earphones had the bass overpower everything else volume-wise in a way that I don't hear with these. The treble is also not as harsh as with the Xtreme Xplosives. Finally, these babies are smaller than those were.

More of a comparison than a review, I know, but they are similar to my ears. (With the exception that these actually sound pretty good overall. :p )

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 109

Quote:
Just registered to give my two cents on these earphones -- though I am not an audiophile and do not know technical terms as well as you all. :) With that in mind, the depth of the bass reminds me of the JVC Xtreme Xplosives, though those earphones had the bass overpower everything else volume-wise in a way that I don't hear with these. The treble is also not as harsh as with the Xtreme Xplosives. Finally, these babies are smaller than those were.

More of a comparison than a review, I know, but they are similar to my ears. (With the exception that these actually sound pretty good overall. :p )

Welcome to Head-fi. Sorry about your wallet. (I've always wanted to say that 
tongue.gif
)

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 109
Photos added.
These are definitely not balanced phones but incredibly fun without sacrificing mids and highs.
As I've heard some mentioned, these are rated download to 20Hz but I know they go lower than that because I can feel it.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 109
https://www.google.com/search?q=Velodyne+vPulse&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=Velodyne+vPulse&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=fZxBT4G2G83WiALH_ayVAg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b8f28fc5624230e&biw=1363&bih=726

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 109

Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Velodyne+vPulse&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=Velodyne+vPulse&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=fZxBT4G2G83WiALH_ayVAg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b8f28fc5624230e&biw=1363&bih=726

Thanks for the link "Your search - Velodyne vPulse - did not match any documents" :/ 

Don't worry I'll have a search, the reason I asked was because they the OP might of had a cheap source.

Edit: They can be found here for $89 

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=velodyne%20vpulse&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvelodyne.com%2Fvpulse-earphones.html&ei=UZ1BT_uvN6ydiAfDi8HdBA&usg=AFQjCNH3KGzORZyKE2ZpnNon-9vqBGSO3A&sig2=aEJrysTkRGvkw9fXZrmHaQ

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 109
I just clicked on the quoted link and I got 9 vendors selling it for $89
confused.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 109
I managed to get the BOGO deal that Velodyne was running for Valentines Day and got a blue and black version for $89.
Because they are very new (announced in January at 2012 CES) I don't think they will be discounted much if at all.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 109

Quote:

Quote:
I just clicked on the quoted link and I got 9 vendors selling it for $89
confused.gif

Never mind, we must be getting different search results in Australia for some reason. Thanks for your help. 
smile.gif

Quote:
I managed to get the BOGO deal that Velodyne was running for Valentines Day and got a blue and black version for $89.
Because they are very new (announced in January at 2012 CES) I don't think they will be discounted much if at all.

Thanks for the reply. Yes they're really new. I was tempted though went for the SoundMAGIC E10 this time round.

Cheers! 
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 109
Where can you get these from in the UK or shipped to the UK? 
blink.gif

Tried Google and nothing comes up..

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 109
I got these yesterday and LOVE them.  I wanted an inexpensive IEM that had high quality, high quantity bass and the vpulse totally delivers.  It kicks out the bass only when the recording calls for it, which is awesome.  Related to this, the whole sound is not at all muddy.  Listening to some stuff that is more high-frequency oriented, the vpulse sounds bright [not too bright, appropriately so].    I actually like these better than my MPTC.  It has better bass, certainly, than those.  
This makes me wonder about the Rockford-Fosgate and Kicker IEMs.
The only negative thing i've found about the vpulse is that the mesh nozzle filters aren't held firmly in place.  the one on my right side caved in on one side.  

​

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 109
Quote:
I got these yesterday and LOVE them.  I wanted an inexpensive IEM that had high quality, high quantity bass and the vpulse totally delivers.  It kicks out the bass only when the recording calls for it, which is awesome.  Related to this, the whole sound is not at all muddy.  Listening to some stuff that is more high-frequency oriented, the vpulse sounds bright [not too bright, appropriately so].    I actually like these better than my MPTC.  It has better bass, certainly, than those.  
This makes me wonder about the Rockford-Fosgate and Kicker IEMs.
The only negative thing i've found about the vpulse is that the mesh nozzle filters aren't held firmly in place.  the one on my right side caved in on one side.  

​

Yeah, that bass is VERY addicting and satisfying especially when I think it can't go any lower, it does!
I was planing to buy a pair of MPTC or MPTG but I guess I don't have now
biggrin.gif

Brightness is perfect for my liking and I consider that a bonus in IEMs like these. I never knew RF and Kicker made IEMs. IF you do get around to compare them, let me know as I would be very interested. Sucks about the mesh screen. Mine didn't have any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back