VE Odyssey - Discussions and Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #106 of 244
I just got my Odyssey, and was hoping to use it with my Windows 10 PC since the 3.5 mm jack is getting tired.

My PC is not detecting it at all though, and I can't switch to it in the audio devices...is there anything I am missing? Do I need to go get software for it or something?

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #107 of 244
I received last week the odyssey and it did not come with any USB adapter for the computer.

Anyway... I tested with my LG V30 and it works fine with USB audio player pro as expected and directly with any other app. From system apps like Spotify the VE odyssey is far less powerful than the high impedance mode of the LG.

So, for a phone like the LG this device makes no sense but for others it's very interesting. I did not listen enough to judge quality but first impression is good.

I tested with VE Zen (320 ohmn) and Senn HD58X (150 ohmn).

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #108 of 244
I just got my Odyssey, and was hoping to use it with my Windows 10 PC since the 3.5 mm jack is getting tired.

My PC is not detecting it at all though, and I can't switch to it in the audio devices...is there anything I am missing? Do I need to go get software for it or something?

the same when I got mine, I pushed it in the adapter till it makes a click sound, I thought I broke it since it was very hard, but it actually worked and showed up on pc, I have been using only this ever since

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #109 of 244
the same when I got mine, I pushed it in the adapter till it makes a click sound, I thought I broke it since it was very hard, but it actually worked and showed up on pc, I have been using only this ever since

Ah, alright, thank you...I didn't hear a click, but I swear I was putting an ungodly amount of force into it.

I will give it another try when I get home tomorrow...with MORE force!

Oct 7, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #110 of 244
Ah, alright, thank you...I didn't hear a click, but I swear I was putting an ungodly amount of force into it.

I will give it another try when I get home tomorrow...with MORE force!

dont break it though, it might be just your pc, always check sound settings if it shows up as realtek usb2.0 audio, (or something similar), sometimes I have to unplug the usb and plug it again just to get sound from it or make the pc use it

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #111 of 244
dont break it though, it might be just your pc, always check sound settings if it shows up as realtek usb2.0 audio, (or something similar), sometimes I have to unplug the usb and plug it again just to get sound from it or make the pc use it

Wow, that worked! I never heard a click but I just jammed it as strongly as I could, and it finally worked with the PC! I wonder now if it is safe to take off the adapter ... :O

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #112 of 244
Wow, that worked! I never heard a click but I just jammed it as strongly as I could, and it finally worked with the PC! I wonder now if it is safe to take off the adapter ... :O

once its in I doubt it wouldn't work again if you took it out again, I took it out to try it on my brother's laptop, that actually has a usb-c port and it still shows up as usb 2.0 audio

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #114 of 244
The impression I've received from both the site and his Facebook group is that the spec is almost literally "before you ask me why your VE earphone doesn't sound good out of your phone, spend $10 on this; it will probably help, and if it doesn't I at least know you tried on a known reasonable piece of gear before we look into what else might be wrong." (Paraphrasing entirely mine, but I think I've caught the spirit.) As far as I can tell it is developed and tested for the purpose of giving his earphones a decent baseline DAC/amp, and while it may be useful on other earphones/headphones as well, for $10 he's not in the business of making any promises about that.

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #115 of 244
Hi again....

I have received the VE odyssey . I will use it only with Samsung S8 since i found its sound quality awful. I also wait the Hidiz USB cable for comparison.

I will use it with 32 Ohm earbuds from Willsound series. For now i have MK2 ver 2 and Mk2 SE. My players are Poweramp and Neutric.

My reference sound are LCD 2 , HD650 and JVC fx1100 with Cayin N6 , Aune B1 and some desktop set up

First impression , narrow sound stage , the sound is in your head not outside. Bass , mids and high , a little boring....Very plain....i am not impressed.

i will post more at next days

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #116 of 244
Update

I dont want to be bad..Compared to the sound of Samsung S8 , it is mandatory to buy it , if you consider to use it instead of jack in of S8.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #117 of 244
Finally I just received my "VE ODYSSEY" which i was waiting for almost a month now. I wanted to give it a try because i wanted buy a headphone amplifier to take with me just to power up my on the go music. Then i thought of giving this a try before going for anything expensive. Before you proceed any further, i must tell you that i am no way an audiophile and i don't understand half the stuff audiophiles talk about but i love good music, simplicity and very enthusiastic about sound related electronics. so here goes my thoughts.

I ran a little test on using these equpment.

Xiaomi Redmi 5 AI ( my main source of portable music )

VE Monk plus
KZ ZS5
KZ ATR
KZ ZS1

finally

the venerable Sennheiser HD650 ( you might call me crazy to plug this on to Odyssey but i did and it wasn't that bad after all )

All lossless FLAC

"My Love by Kovacs"
"Kiss the rain by Billie Myers"
"I don't wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith"

VE Monk Plus!
I thought of starting with the VE Monk plus! because i believe Odyssey is tuned to get the best out of VE MONK PLUS!. I played few of my favorite song. I felt like sound is overall so much better than the direct out of the phone. Bass is so full sometimes overwhelmingly good. Even though i put the volume level to around 30 to 40% it was loud and ODYSSEY was powerful enough to drive the monk plus to deafening levels. Monk plus sounded so much better instantly.

KZ ZS 5
One of my favorite headphones from all the headphones i have and this is where VE ODYSSEY excelled in to otherworldly levels. I've been using KZ ZS5 for more than a year and it never sounded so good. Sound was fuller, and Odyssey took away all the anemic sound levels and bass problems also took away the sibilant harshness of the KZ ZS5. It is totally an amazing product to pair with ZS5. If you have a KZ ZS5, you need to buy a VE ODYSSEY.

KZ ATR
Sound has improved instantly and it sounds so much fuller with improved overall.

KZ ZS1
The "lord bass" i call it. with odyssey it had become the GOD BASS. Amazing sound stage was added for already dark laid back bass headphones. Loud like hell!!!!, Very relaxing and things has become very detailed after adding odyssey.

Sennheiser HD650
For testing purpose i just plugged my Sennheiser HD650 to the VE ODYSSEY. Well it was connected to laptop at that moment and surprisingly odyssey ran it very well. not loud but at full volume everything was so nice to listen to. Very smooth and detailed. for some it may lack volume but for me at room silence it was perfectly enjoyable. There are few more full size yet below 50ohm impedance i have which i will check in the future.

For now all i can say is....

"VE ODYSSEY" is just something AMAZING! to own. I truly appreciate what it does to my KZ ZS5 and VE MONK PLUS which it take on long drives. No hassle like carrying an amplifier, just Odyssey and you have some great hassle free sound.

43759551_324916708272763_518020248998248448_n.jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #119 of 244
is this gonna work with windows 8 laptop?

It works on mine, but the full USB adapter is super finicky. I might get a new one.

On a separate note, I love this thing. Adds a lot of bass slam in the sub 100 Hz frequency, which is perfect for earbuds.
They finally make my ATH-A900s sound good, I always thought they were missing something!
Now they are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back