VE Odyssey - Discussions and Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #76 of 244
I’ve not found a ‘bad pairing’ yet. I also got the ‘balanced’ version so that I could use all my buds/iems.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #78 of 244
Thanks. Ordering right away now

To be honest for a $10 outlay the odyssey is an absolute bargain. It powers all my head gear nicely including full size cans ( Grado clones, AKG, V-Moda ) I’ve not tried my Fostex T50rp yet though.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #79 of 244
Just got to thinking, what player are most people using with the Odyssey?
I’m on UAPP with my Pocophone F1.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #81 of 244
Please try to read not to look what i write. I say there is no way that it can drive hign impedance phones. Do i say anywhere that it doesn't sound good with low impedance IEMs or earbuds.... Come on , be serious.

So what high impedance headphones have you tried it with to come to this conclusion? Was that none? Come on be serious.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #82 of 244
He is certified somehow for his statement?

I'm certainly not but I like to try before I talk, I've found that I don't look like a fool quite as often by doing so. So once again what high impedance headphones have you tried it with?

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #83 of 244
@capnjack @peter123 what happens when it is paired with sensitive iems ? Sorry i donno much technical terms . But i have Beyerdynamics Dt 880 250ohms as well as Lstn Bowery and going to buy Senheisser momentum wired In-earphones. Is it

It has some background hiss with sensitive IEM's, if one can live with that it works perfectly fine otherwise.

I don't know the output impedance so that might be an issue with some IEM's.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #84 of 244
@peter123 Actually am fascinated by your reviews of portable and cheap dac/amps. Remember i pmed you long ago about opus #11 ? Well i ended up buying Xduoo Xd-05 and Beyerdynamics Dt 880 250ohms version. While everything is good, portability factor is greatly effected.

From what you said earlier HD800S is 300ohms impedance right. I donno the sensitive level ratio though. How will you review the sound quality of this VE Odyssey ? Is it comparable to LG V and G-series ?

A planning to buy one for portability. If this one is good enough i can drop buying LG phones as of i don't like it's Ui and os. So laggy. Sold my G6 cause of that.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you find something you enjoy in the XD-05, I've always been curious about it myself.

I don't think that the Odyssey is ment to compete with devices costing many hundred dollars but rather be an option for people with phones that have a weak/poor audio output (like my Galaxy S8) or that totally lack a headphone out. That being said I do have a G5 with the Hifi Plus module so I'll compare the two when I get the chance (works quite hectic at the moment so probably next weekend).

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #85 of 244
How does the Odyssey fare driving planar mags (like the Oppo PM-3)? Don't think I've seen impressions on that pairing so far.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #86 of 244
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you find something you enjoy in the XD-05, I've always been curious about it myself.
I don't think that the Odyssey is ment to compete with devices costing many hundred dollars but rather be an option for people with phones that have a weak/poor audio output (like my Galaxy S8) or that totally lack a headphone out. That being said I do have a G5 with the Hifi Plus module so I'll compare the two when I get the chance (works quite hectic at the moment so probably next weekend).

I have also Samsung s8 amd find its sound poor...i have just order odyssey...Do you think the sound upgrade will be noticable?

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #87 of 244
So what high impedance headphones have you tried it with to come to this conclusion? Was that none? Come on be serious.

I have just order it just to prove you that you cannot distingusish what is to drive a headphone and drive properly... i have a 650ohm earbuds and when when i connect them to my galaxy s8 , i can listen to them...But , my god , that doesnota that means that galaxy can drive a 650 ohm earbuds.....

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #88 of 244
FWIW I've asked Lee for the actual specs for the Odyssey. Hopefully get them in a few days when KK is back.

It sounds great with the Asura 2 (150 ohm, 110dB +/- 5dB [1mW] ), and I suspect it'll sound pretty good with virtually all of his earphones. In my experience - even the Zen aren't that hard to drive - but they can improve with more power (if you've heard them with the Enterprise, you'll know what I mean :wink: ).

After seeing Peter's post I tried my HD800S with the Odyssey tonight. TBH it sounded a little anaemic to me, and was pretty quiet (source was the FiiO M7 - which is pretty low powered). I wonder if the device powering it has much to do with the overall output? I can't test with an Android phone - don't own one. Sounds fantastic with the likes of the HD630VB though.

I suspect its biggest problem will be voltage. I don't think Lee ever expected it to be used with full sized high impedance phones. Anyway - I'll wait for the specs and continue trying out some of the other earbuds.

Great device (especially for a laptop) - and $10 = no brainer :wink:

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #89 of 244
I have also Samsung s8 amd find its sound poor...i have just order odyssey...Do you think the sound upgrade will be noticable?

Yes it will, especially in power but also in sq.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #90 of 244
FWIW I've asked Lee for the actual specs for the Odyssey. Hopefully get them in a few days when KK is back.

It sounds great with the Asura 2 (150 ohm, 110dB +/- 5dB [1mW] ), and I suspect it'll sound pretty good with virtually all of his earphones. In my experience - even the Zen aren't that hard to drive - but they can improve with more power (if you've heard them with the Enterprise, you'll know what I mean :wink: ).

After seeing Peter's post I tried my HD800S with the Odyssey tonight. TBH it sounded a little anaemic to me, and was pretty quiet (source was the FiiO M7 - which is pretty low powered). I wonder if the device powering it has much to do with the overall output? I can't test with an Android phone - don't own one. Sounds fantastic with the likes of the HD630VB though.

I suspect its biggest problem will be voltage. I don't think Lee ever expected it to be used with full sized high impedance phones. Anyway - I'll wait for the specs and continue trying out some of the other earbuds.

Great device (especially for a laptop) - and $10 = no brainer :wink:

Yes I think you're right about the voltage, as I mentioned it does struggle much more with the 43 Ohm HE560 than with the HD800S.

It also can't power the HD800S when using Spotify in my Galaxy S8 but output is a lot higher when using UAPP (Android messing things up with Spotify I'd guess).

I don't think the intention was to make this was to use it with the HD800S and it likes either, it was more of a fun experiment that worked out much better than expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back